ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ever felt guilty?

pbirkett said:
Main mistake I make is occaisionally messing up my 2nd to 3rd change (the gear sometimes doesnt want to go in) but thats rare.

I have the exact same issue - though it only seems to happen when ive got a chav or a TT or something behind to make me look like an idiot.

The bouncing off the rev limiter thing is when ur not concentrating propertly and it reaches the limiter so easily in the low gears... ie merging onto a motorway ive bounced it off the limiter a couple of times cos your spotting your space and before you know it u need to change!

Tangoed Works
Ive thought that people may think "chav boy racer" when I go past in my 182, but realistically, I dont think the car has that image. Every one who sees it loves it and pays compliments (although you do get those jealous types that flash their lights as you go past).

I generally drive 30 mph everywhere during the day as there is usually too much traffice to give it full beans, and save 7250 rpm for the night time missions!

like said why feel guilty,would you feel guilty if you drove your car under 4k everywhere and never got the full experience of it?
mine has been bounced of the limiter well over 3000 times never had a failure engine or transmission wise and i've just passed 100000 miles.
yes you don't need to do it but in the lowly powered 1.2s going into 2nd and 3rd the higher up the limiter you take it the better the next gear begins.more done for the noise with a noisy exhaust the limiter sounds good hehe

A clio
lambo182 said:
The bouncing off the rev limiter thing is when ur not concentrating propertly and it reaches the limiter so easily in the low gears... ie merging onto a motorway ive bounced it off the limiter a couple of times cos your spotting your space and before you know it u need to change!

happens to me often when not concentrating

Nez

White Megane R26 F1 230
Don't feel guilty, they are built for it, but try not to do it all the time. Not hit the limiter yet.. Also I don't piss it past slow moving cars, no need.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Nope, I don't feel guilty, if I'm paying £190 a year road tax I'm damn sure gonna use both sides of it :D, I'm sure on my driving license it says tear along the dotted line.

What pisses me off are the people on the other side of the road when you over take, the flashers, those who are at least a 1/2 mile up the road and think how rude 'cos you're overtaking somebody whom is trying to send you morse code with the brake lights and pedal, my philosophy is if they have time to flash they have time to break :rasp:

Mazda MX5 1.8
sod flashing.

if someone does a stupid overtaking move....... head down.... maintain speed....... coming through!

Laguna 1.8 RTSport
Nope, never, thrash her, let her cool down a bit, switch off, lock up, pat her on the hatch and say "well done "

This thread gave me the inspiration to go out and rag her silly. So much fun. Plus I filled up with optimax on friday (i am normally cheap) and whooooaaaaaaaaaat a difference. Strangely I noticed the idle was a bit lumpy tonight :O oh well.......

clio__chris said:
sod flashing.

if someone does a stupid overtaking move....... head down.... maintain speed....... coming through!

lol :race:

I think I'd only flash someone for overtaking if I had to brake to avoid a headon with them, or if it was getting close.

A4 Avant & A3
I've hit the limiter in 2nd a couple of times, i actually felt a bit bad about that.. poor car.. poor car, i'm sorry.. :-(

I really should learn to drive properly, then i wouldn't need to meet with the rev limiter!

Focus ST
I do all of the above.

Talk to it...:eek:
Stroke it....(only where a driver should stroke it)...:eek:
Say sorry every now and again...:dapprove:
Clean it, to make up for it...:approve:
Even put some Optimax in to say sorry...:evil:

And I know the car repects me for it, because on the occassions it doesn't, it lets me know. Used the warrenty agreement a couple of times already. :dapprove:

MK2 Audi TT - 2.0T dsg.
The 182's love a good thrashing it times... I think under the bonnet it is smiling and laughing and sometimes even I think I can hear it asking for more!

Once she's warmed up that is! :D

MKIII 138
think how guilty the Rsport-ecu`d 172/182 owners feel ! lol 8000rpm and you just know the engine cant take it for long period but you do it anyway muhaha

80MPG BEEZA
i rarely hit the limiter i think the last occasion was racing a 2.0 turbo cavalier thinking he was mint we agreed to start from stand still but when we got onto the str8 i started slowing down he took off so i put my foot down and started catching back up to busy looking at his rear end i hit the limiter but managed to catch him :)

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
feel ver guilty right now....just got back in from a nice drive.......but as has been said before all after the oil has warmed..otherwise you are asking for trouble

2014 Focus Titanium
i sometimes regret if i think ive pushed it too far (i.e. i nailed it on a bumpyish road in mine upto 120 cos a dickhead in a bmw was having a go) and afterwards i just thought "why the f**k did i push it that far? if id have hit a bad bump i could have been doing 1740971 rolls through some fields".

experiences like that might be a little over the top but in turn make me wiser and a better driver.

as for thrashing the engine, its there to be thrashed as long as the engine is warmed up nicely! and with a 7400rpm limit i love it!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Guilt? For what? Letting the engine stretch its legs a little, as RenaultSport intended it to be driven?

In my opinion, you should only feel guilt if you DON'T thrash a 172/182...a normally aspirated engine, that only makes its proper power between 5-7k rpm...should be spending most of its time there. Mine has covered 60k miles being driven like that...is probably due to go bang any day now...but until it does it will continue to spend its time hunting down the 8k rpm limiter :D

If it's not driven like that...why on earth would you buy one? Looks alone...?

Black 182 f&f
yeah me to, i will never understand why young one's in there corsa's an nova's ect always want to race i let them pull away 1st them just make them look silly infront of all there mate :approve: