ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exalto's - Why are they so expensive?

A silver one
Hello,

This could be a really simple question that 90% of the people on here know the answer to, so here goes.

I've owned my 182 for just over 4 years and always ran it on Exalto's. It's MOT is due in September and it will need 2 new fronts by then. I rang my local garage for a quote, but as I'm a bit skint asked for a quote on some other tyres as well. They quoted;

Uniroyal Rainsport 2 - £76.50
Pirelli P Zero Nero - £78.50
Michellin Pilot Exalto 2 - £105

My question is why are Exalto's almost £30ish more expensive per corner? Is there something special about the tyres that I don't know about?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers,
Matt

J

jonnytheboy

£105 isnt that bad, Kwik fit near me wanted £155 :dapprove:

Exalto's where designed just for the clio!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Evo didnt rate them i a recent test?

Uk tyre tests have to be taken with a massive pinch of salt. They carried out the test at conti's facility, guess which brand won? They didn't even include Goodyear in the test, and they used a specific compound/construction which iirc was specifically designed for one of the test cars!
The v12 has done well in zee german tyre tests, having used them I would pick them over exalto's all day long.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
I've only experienced Eagle F1s and PE2s on my 172 and think the PE2s are great. You pay more but they last much longer for me, equal straight line traction in the wet to the F1s (which were great) but far better in the corners. I'm thinking of giving the V12 Evos a go next.

Warren, Fred: what's the life like on V12s? Great value so can afford to last a fair bit less than PE2s. Also, there are usually a couple of Hankook models that cost a bit more but I've not heard much about. They even worth considering over the V12s or does the fact I've not heard of them mean don't bother?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Dunno, maybe i'm a badge snob, but Hankooks used to be budget....... although i see new VW Golfs shod in them!

I tend to stick to the Michelin/Conti brands. So therefore, i'm the mug!

Golf GTD Mk7
I've only experienced Eagle F1s and PE2s on my 172 and think the PE2s are great. You pay more but they last much longer for me, equal straight line traction in the wet to the F1s (which were great) but far better in the corners. I'm thinking of giving the V12 Evos a go next.

Warren, Fred: what's the life like on V12s? Great value so can afford to last a fair bit less than PE2s. Also, there are usually a couple of Hankook models that cost a bit more but I've not heard much about. They even worth considering over the V12s or does the fact I've not heard of them mean don't bother?

Going of fuel_sluts at oulton, they wear quiet quickly. You get what you pay for really

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200

Better than goodyear f1 in terms if wear. Steburns ran his 197 on them for several track outings iirc, and they last well. And Ste doesn't hold back;).

J

jonnytheboy

That's not strictly true, they were developed along with clio aswell a few other cars, can't remember which cars, but I know a fella who works for renault and was told this.

Only seen clio's wearing them so far

BMW M4; S1000 RR
In my experience Michelin Pilots tend to be the best road tyres you can get. Sure there are others that match them closely in situations, but the PS2 and PE2 tyres are fantastic in the wet and dry. They also grip right to the wear indicators. Worth the money? There's no alternative if you want to go fast imo.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Better than goodyear f1 in terms if wear. Steburns ran his 197 on them for several track outings iirc, and they last well. And Ste doesn't hold back;).

Thanks. That's good to know as I intend to take them on track straight away and do a couple more trackdays this year.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Waited months and months to get hold of Hankooks but the delivery just kept getting pushed back. The two tyres on the front were definite 3-pointers a piece, so I took the plunge and got Dunlop SP Sport Maxx's fitted. Tbh, they are probably the best 'all-rounder' I've had, though I think the Contis had the slight lead in the wet.

D.

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
I have Hankook RS2's on mine now and PE2's before that.

The Hankooks are better in the dry and an excellent budget trackday tyre. However in the wet they are not as predictable as the PE2's and dont have the same level of grip.

My view is that as a road tyre the PE2's are a better all round tyre but as a fast road trackday tyre the hankooks are where the smart money is.

Re wear - On track I thought the Hankooks were wearing quickly but on closer inspection it was just abit of beading buidling up and maybe just my driving style. I noticed that after approx 8 laps they started the go like putty which was good for grip but started to wear fast due to the heat.

A silver one
Cheers for your responses (sp) guys.

I should've said in my original post that my tyres will be 100% road tyres. I've never been near a track in my life and have no plans to.

thanks again,
Matt

Octavia VRS
iv just put 2 Hankook v12's on the front my 182. i had Eagle F1 GSD 3's on there before and im pretty sure that the GSD'S had a bit more bite in them, however iv only done a hundred miles or so with these so il find out for sure soon. the rears are illeagal now so i ordered 2 more from National's in Bridgend. they are doing the V12's for £61 per side fitted and balanced! way cheaper than camskill/blackcircles!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Im at current running Rainsports, ive never driven on a better tyre, heaps and heaps of grip, they point blank refuse to let go. Understeer free in the wet and dry!

£140 fitted for 2, pretty damn resonable

Vw caddy tdi
105 per corner fook that is that for 16'' s? I have paid just 200 for all 4x 195 50 15's 2-3 yrs ago and not that much over 200 last time also, shop around! Answering the original question there are grippier tyres out there but not by much the wear you will get from pe2s should double that of most other branded road tyres.

182 cup
They used the P Zeros?
Fred...whats your personal experiences of them both?

Also..would you say 15inch alloys and tyres say 195/50/15 handle worse than 195/45/16?

Lionel Richie
yeah my mate Alex was their test driver! He rates the pirellis!

Hankooks are very good too

195/50 15 is what most of the track boys use

BG182FF
i got hankook v12s and think they are spot on in every day driving and are very reasonably priced but quite hard to get hold of, shortage of stock i reckon lol