ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exhaust back box and mount/bracket/hanger

mk1 Octavia VRS
Back box came off my car at the weekend (failed on the weld going into the back box). Looks like the mid and rear sections are not original Renault but third party mild steel. Original Renault back boxes are ~£100 new on eBay so I was thinking of buying one of those unless anyone has any recommendations for an aftermarket (but not noisy) back box. Anyone used a Euro Car Parts one?

The exhaust mount that holds the back box up has split so I'll need to replace it. Are the cheap eBay ones OK or are the Renault ones vastly superior quality?

I tried getting the existing bracket off, two of the bolts came out OK but the middle one just spins. Can I get to the other side by removing the wheel arch liner or is the only option to drill it out?

Cheers :)

2004 ph2 172
There's a golden rule that stands. Whether you like it or not: Things are cheap for a reason.

I've been deeply unimpressed by anything "cheap" that involves rubber. They look right, but smell wrong, perform badly and die quickly.

100 quid for a Renault backbox seems reasonable. You might consider checking your other exhaust rubbers at the same time: they DO age, and setting the exhaust up properly so that all the rubbers bare the weight properly can make a massive difference in the lifetime of the individual components.