ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exhaust Centre Section

The exhaust centre section on my 172 has gone i.e. there is a nasty buzzing at certain rpm. It was actually replaced at under 10k miles in the first year of ownership under warranty. Although I still have a warranty I find that the exhaust and ICE are the only things solely covered for the first year!Searching on the forum I see a lot of people have had problems with the centre section - maybe thats why good ol Renault only cover it for a year!!!

Anyway, onto my question! ... where do I get a replacement centre section exhaust from? All the normal local exhaust centres do not have a centre section for the 172 listed : "the car is too new". Sure I could get one from Renault at some exhorbitant price but I am loathe to give them more of my cash when they sanction such shoddy parts in the first place. This will be the third centre section the car has had in a little over 2.5 years! Does anyone have another source/recommendation? I dont need any fancy sports exhaust - I just want something that means the minimum outlay and that will last more than a year!!!!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dont worry - Ive answered my own question.

Over 200 quid for just the centre section from Renault. 275 for centre section and back box in stainless steel from Scorpion exhausts including delivery. Decided on the latter - not only for longevity but should please the next owner!!!

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Wouldnt buy anything just yet!! Fight your case with Renault, its a known problem (though they wont admit it) and should get sorted under warranty.

I about to get another part of my exhuast replaced (the cat) and they wanted me to contribute first so I made a fuss and now they are covering the cost.

Ad

MK2 FRS

Geordiepaul is right, anything that renault have replace even under warranty is covered for another twelve months.

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Quote: Originally posted by adtmits on 02 September 2003

Geordiepaul is right, anything that renault have replace even under warranty is covered for another twelve months.

Not quite right! Anything Renault replace during the warranty that is paid for through the warranty is only covered till the end of the warranty. Though if you pay for it yourself then it is covered by whatever duration that part is covered for....if that makes any sense!!

Thanks for the advice guys.

Exhaust was replaced in 2001 under warranty. Has now gone again 18 months later and my warranty specifically states exhaust parts only covered in first year. Strictly speaking, therefore, both the warranty and the 12 months cover on the replacement are both a no show.

Its pretty certain that Renault will have no sympathy but I suppose it doesnt do any harm to ask!

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Yes but you could argue that this is a common problem and ask how many times your going to be expected to replace the centre section in the future.

You could start by asking for full explanation why the problems keeps occuring in the first place. Make them work be as much trouble as you can, your not the only that has had this problem. They may give in and give you a replacement.

Mine went after 16,000 miles and well over a year and they replaced it with me paying a percentage. Cost about £85 so I would think with them already replacing it you should have a good case

Sorry to be a pain but do you have a number for Renault Customer Services? I cant find it on their Web site! They have a contact section but this is just to send an e-mail!

Thanks.

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Quote: Originally posted by towser on 02 September 2003

Mine went after 16,000 miles and well over a year and they replaced it with me paying a percentage. Cost about £85 so I would think with them already replacing it you should have a good case <SCRIPT language=javascript>

Thats exactly what happend to me but I argued and didnt pay anything:D