ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exhaust Condensation

Yozza'd BG
Hi everyone. I was wondering if someone could explain why there is a lot of exhaust condensation once i get my 182 passed about 5000 rpm. I noticed it on a cold day.

I also noticed that the left exhaust steams for longer than the right exhaust and the gases from the left exhaust feel a lot hotter than those from the right.

Has anyone else got the same problem with their car and could this be something to do with the head gasket?!

Focus RS mk1
dnt worry mate, its just moisture build up in the system as it stands, as it gets warmer and you drive harder it just burns off and comes out. just normal every exhaust on the planet does it specialy in the winter. cnt explain the exhaust gases being hotter 1 side than the other

is the tip of the left pipe a shorter distance from the point at which it splits from the right pipe (in the system)?

S4 Avant
Mine does this aswell, left blows harder than the right. I've just put it down as one of the less important problems with my exhaust, and excepted that that's what it does

This wasn't the case on my car when I replaced the standard exhaust for a Stainless Steel exhaust. The standard back box had about a pint of water in it. Badly designed piece of junk.

dnt worry mate, its just moisture build up in the system as it stands, as it gets warmer and you drive harder it just burns off and comes out. just normal every exhaust on the planet does it specialy in the winter. cnt explain the exhaust gases being hotter 1 side than the other

Yozza'd BG
Both pipes are the same length. Think i know why it is steaming above 5500rpm though from the other thread...seems to be water build up in the boxes at the back of the exhaust system.

Thanks for the help! :)

106 GTi
Don't let Rusty Paul see this thread, he is sure his exterior paint will stop it rotting inside out !!! ;)

As said they all do it. Motorway slip roads early in the morning in winter always equalled a misty back screen.

If you used the car for long drives and utilised the full rev range once warm then you would get minimal moisture in it but yes mine was the same lots of steam until upto temp

Yozza'd BG
Think that is the solution. Problem is im not using it til im 21 in January coz of insurance so the problem will only get worse. Unless i can keep convincing my dad to take it out for daily drives!

S4 Avant
Think that is the solution. Problem is im not using it til im 21 in January coz of insurance so the problem will only get worse. Unless i can keep convincing my dad to take it out for daily drives!

Your story sounds horribly like mine did