ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exhaust fumes coming through air vents

cliomk2
I rencently replaced my engine but it was a different model it all runs perect but its just this smell coming through the air vents it smells like exhaust fumes and sometimes gives me head akes theres a pipe coming off the thermostat and i dont know where it goes too so i bent it and blocked it off i was just wondering if it was some sort of over flow pipe or something i have a picture of it here if its not that what could it be ?

03032011011.jpg

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Sound's like the breather is missing, small "L" shaped tube that goes from a pipe just under the throttlebody, pop a new pipe on it and connect it to the elbow on the intake and it should be fine

Pipe goes here
03032011011.jpg

Last edited:
  LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
That's the one, had an experience that was similar and it was very unpleasant. Make sure it is properly connected to the air filter pipe to the side of the block, might also be split ?

p.s Carb cleaner will work wonders on that :p

cliomk2
im very confused haha, so i need to connect that pipe to the side of the engine instead of the one that comes off the air filter ? because theres already one that connects to the air filter isnt there...

P.s abit of water came out of the pipe befor

Last edited:
  LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
im very confused haha, so i need to connect that pipe to the side of the engine instead of the one that comes off the air filter ? because theres already one that connects to the air filter isnt there...

P.s abit of water came out of the pipe befor

Hmm water ain't meant to come out of the pipe im referring to, normally crappy oilly like substance. The pipe should go from the air intake flexi pipe (The bend that fits to the throttle body) If there is no connector on the bottom of the elbow it must not be the standard intake pipe, if you look closely you should see a bronze nipple/valve below the throttle body, thats where the other end goes

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
A DIET engine... blast from the past!!! Sorry but i'm not following as I can't really see the pipe that you bent over and blocked in the picture above... do you mean that coolant pipe coming vertically off the top of the stat housing that then bends towards the bulkhead of the car? If so, that's the coolant return pipe to the resevoir - When the stat opens that'll throw coolant out!

cliomk2
A DIET engine... blast from the past!!! Sorry but i'm not following as I can't really see the pipe that you bent over and blocked in the picture above... do you mean that coolant pipe coming vertically off the top of the stat housing that then bends towards the bulkhead of the car? If so, that's the coolant return pipe to the resevoir - When the stat opens that'll throw coolant out!

yea it is that pip but where does it go ?haha

Is there no air filter on there?

yea i took it off for the picture

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Deffo NOT a vent, its the overflow return to the header... see pic below:

D7F-Shakey.jpg

It's a little blury I know but you can clearly see the pipe in the top, centre of the shot coming up from the thermostat house and going to the return on the coolant resevoir.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Its the coolant overflow return which on the D7F DIET engine is only open when the stat is fully open as they don't have a partial drain/leak hole in the stat - he's proberbly not even run it up to that point yet. Its not exactly high pressure either so if he's say bent it over and cable tied it to block it, it'll seal fine and run but I'm surprised the coolant system has pressurised as one of the proper bottles fitments will be venting to atmos.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
It *should* be on the firewall/bulkhead as shown in the pic above... on a both MkI and MkII