ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

exhaust fumes in coolant reservoir?

Clio S & VW T5
Ok, so I have a project - it's an overheating Clio DCi 65 which is partly made to look like a Sport.I was thinking head gasket at first; but there is definitely no water in the engine oil. The coolant in the expansion tank is dark coloured, but not oily - it kind of smells like exhaust gasses have been running though it; and when I start the car up and let it idle, the water in the coolant reservoir bubbles away quite merrily. So far, I haven't managed to get the car to overheat - the worst it does is the water in the reservoir bubbles up past the overflow and sparts bubbling out from around the reservoir cap - as I said, the water is dark, but not oily (which I would expect with a head gasket failure - am I right?)The thermostat is okay, because after about 10 minutes of idling from a completely cold start the coolant reservoir almost empties and the pipes to and from the radiator become hot.Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem might be, or what to try next?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I'd take a stab in the dark guess at either an airlock, faulty reservoir cap or the water pump itself is shot.

New reservoir cap from Renault (Note the colour of the cap) then drop the coolant and start again as its cheap enough to do. Then, if the system pressure still keeps building up and the reservoir backs up again have it looked at properly with a view toward getting the water pump and timing belt all changed (As you might as well renew the lot especially if its not been done/documented)

Mick

Clio S & VW T5
Cheers Mick,I can see where you're coming from with the pressure thing; and will try that on my days off this week (starting tomorrow); but how would your suggestions explain the smell of diesel in the coolant (and the darker colour of the coolant)?I'm hoping it's not the head gasket; although I've ordered one just to be on the safe side...

Clio Phase 1 Sport
Head gasket done, new head bolts, new cambelt and pulleys and everything is running perfectly.

Oh, and the car is now sold too...