ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exhaust hanging low. Noises.

BMW E46 330ci Sport
Hi Brosifs,

First off I did have a paid for membership account but I don't have access to my old works email address any more and for some reason cant log in.

Heres my problem. I was driving to work and the right hand lane was clear. i was stopped and decieded to go in that lane so i was first. The road was wet and as i accelerated i just got wheel spin. This resulted in really loud and aggresive suspension banging. I lifted off and then pulled up to the lights. On green i pulled away and as the engine got to 3500 to 4000 rpm the engine sounded different. It sounds more raspy and less silenced. I have had a good look underneath and cant see any hangers broken but from the exhaust manifold to the first silencer it is hanging much lower. I cannot tell where the crack is and cannot work out why it has dropped. The Exhaust is still attached to the engine as far as i can tell.

I replaced the back exhaust brackets a month ago so they are fine. Whilst under the car i gave the exhaust quite a shake and it seems solid and well attached. Im just afraid it will fall off.

I have uploaded some pictures as i cannot embed them on this account. If someone could have a look and give some advise as to what is going on with my exhaust i would be very greatful.

Heres the link. http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc477/jonnyd1987/ I hope it works.

Thanks

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
looks like the cat to center section clamp needs replacing. Possible that the flanges are damaged in some way too, I've seen a number of cats develop cracks where the clamp is over tightened

BMW E46 330ci Sport
Thanks for the reply. If I remove the centre section clamp do you think it would be possible to just push the cat and silencer up so they line up straight again? I will attempt to get a replacement clamp from renault. I don't like the look of the cheap ones on ebay. Would i need any sealent? I saw on other threads people talking about exhaust silicone

Where are the flanges on the exhaust? Are they the flaired ends of pipe that join under the centre clamp?

On a standard exhaust on the 182 are there no brackets or hangers to support the weight of the cat and silencer? Is it a simple case of the manifold to cat joint, centre clamp and centre section to rear pipe holding the whole middle section up? The only brackets I can see are the small rubber one towards the back and then the two big rear rubber ones that i replaced last month that hold the two back boxes up.

Mine is looking like this also. Had a quick look at the weekend and the centre exhaust mount is hanging on by a thread. I've bodged the rear silencer mounts but also noticed theirs another mount behind the second silencer. I've tried searching but sites dont seem to list this mount.