ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exhaust manifold wrap

Mk2 1.2 Campus
Been looking into getting some of this. When I looked on the internet people are saying only to put the wrap onto stainless manifolds as cast ones can become brittle with the heat being trapped in.

Has anyone used this before and what did you think of the results.

M

mini-valver

172 is mild steel, paint it with high temp paint, then wrap it, then spray it with a silicone spray to seal it. It'll be fine mate but I highly doubt you'll feel any benefit unless you get really high under bonnet temps which just doesnt hapen on an NA car. Apparently it helps with exhaust flow if you do te full system but im yet to see any proof.

No point in it what so ever unless you need a quick fix to reduce radiated heat..... on a Clio you don't as there has already been 'nuff engineering gone on to control radiated heat from components.

Cheers
M

And if there is going to be an engine bay fire.....the heat wrap WILL be the cause.

Its pointless.

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
Been looking into getting some of this. When I looked on the internet people are saying only to put the wrap onto stainless manifolds as cast ones can become brittle with the heat being trapped in.

Has anyone used this before and what did you think of the results.

The main problem is non stainless steel manifolds will deteriorate with rust quicker if you wrap them as the heat wrap can retain moisture. As it restricts the expansion under heat it could potentially reduce the lifespan of the manifold with stress on on welds and joints. Most people are not bothered by this though as it will still likely last longer than they own the car.

Having heat wrap will reduce under bonnet temperatures and increase the speed of exhaust gasses giving small gains but it is relatively cheap to do. Realistically though it is only needed for track and race use