ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exhaust rattle on K-Tech Stealth?

Mr2 Roadster
Has anyone else had this?

I have a K-Tech stealth system on my Phase 1 172 and have a really loud rattle at around 2,500 revs.

I'm not sure if it may be a heat shield or if it's the exhaust. If it is the exhaust I'm guessing that it's replaceable under K-Tech's lifetime guarantee, is this correct?

Could be the exhaust tapping on the rear cross beam, or as you say hitting the heat shield. On my old 172, it took a few fitments to get my stealth rattle free. The back box bracket which comes with it isn't the best.

Ideally get it on a ramp to see where it could be hitting.

Mr2 Roadster
It has hit all over the bloody car at some point. There is little room on the front cross member but I sorted that! The rear bracket/bung is all cable tied up to stop movement too.

Have to get under it as you say and see if I can find the exact problem!

EVO VII
I just fitted one to my g/f's 172, check that it isnt knocking against your rear spring it comes pretty close to that aswell.

Clio 172 mk2
Mine knocked a bit on the rear mount so I filed out the mount slots so I could slide it further away from the exhaust hangar on the backbox.

Mr2 Roadster
Mine has been up on the ramps more times than the local priest has fondled me as a kid!

Clio 172 mk2
Mine blows slightly from the centre to BB joint where the clamp had made the slots bulge out but TBH I can't be bothered to get under there and fix it properly.

Mr2 Roadster
Mine blows too. In my opinion, the exhaust is too short and catches on the rear mount, pulling it when you accelerate hard. Hence why I can't be bothered to push it all together tight to stop the blowing.

Turbos.
I wouldn't mind having an exhaust that didn't give me any more power but it niggles at me that i have one that is losing it. There must be a knack to it because when i bothered to go to k-tec to get my 1.2's re-fitted it the chap did a perfect job in about 10 seconds...

Clio 172 mk2
iPap said:
Mine blows too. In my opinion, the exhaust is too short and catches on the rear mount, pulling it when you accelerate hard. Hence why I can't be bothered to push it all together tight to stop the blowing.

I've used a big jubillee clp as a 'second clamp' to cover the area which is leaking....just about does the job.

TBH it isn't great for an exhaust costing £300 plus but I just cannot be bothered to fiddle around with it etc.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
It is tricky to get rite. When we put mine on, everything was loose. It's a 2 man process. Gradually tighten up...Not had a problem since...

Evo VI Tommi Makinen
I've had mine for over a year now and it still catches on the rear beam. Especially if you have passengers.
I refitted it about 7 times and came to the conclusions its a crap design. So I just live with it at the mo until I can afford a proper exhaust.

Rob

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
i also know someone with a k-tec thats been re-fitted about 6 times and knocks and blows... think the design is piss poor

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
mine bangs, doesnt blow...apex didnt help the knocking...

carbon copys was fitted by k-tech n he never knocks or blows

gt_gaz said:
i also know someone with a k-tec thats been re-fitted about 6 times and knocks and blows... think the design is piss poor

Your right the design isn't the best. To stop mine hitting the cross beam I had to hang mine off the top of the rear exhaust mount and zip tie it place.....not the best solution but it worked. The mechanic who battled with the fitment said the exhaust was to long, due to the fact that where the exhaust joined there wasn't enough "give" to slot it together properly. He also commented about the rear bracket being "s**t" and incable of holding a fag paper up never mind a exhaust.

Overall he had the car 4 times to fit the exhaust.....god bless zip ties :eek:

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
aye, not got one on mine, but the guy i know who has, is a very good mechanic, so the fitting to the car wouldn't be the problem

think they are made by tiger.....