ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exhaust smells of petrol

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Hey,

Just wondering why pretty much my car (182) exhaust tailpipes always smells of petrol quite strongly, and after one day they go black again after cleaning them up.

It doesn't seem to be running badly at all, not misfiring and over the last 3 months it's had a new genuine bosch lambda sensor, coilpack, plugs, injectors ultrasonically cleaned, new leads etc. Worth noting that the car has the 98 ron tuner map. MPG is spot on too. 35 around town, 45+ on a run.

I did notice that the middle exhaust mount has snapped so that could be potentially be putting strain on the manifold to cat gasket causing a blow but that wouldn't cause an overfuelling situation as the pre-cat lambda sensor is before this gasket so it wouldn't affect fuelling right?

Anyone have any ideas on what else I could try? Thanks.

One thing to note, my map sensor has a few chunks taken out of both of the o-rings but it doesn't seem to be affecting anything as when I spray wd40 on the surrounding area the engine note doesn't change, doesn't seem to be affecting anything!

Last edited:

ldubl

ClioSport Club Member
Haha! No, Terraclean won't solve the petrol smell, I zoned in on the minor issue :smile: