ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exhausted already...

Clio 172 & Laguna ST
Trying to make up my mind what to do about my 172 exhaust that's about to drop off (incredibly progressing from 'normal' to 'broken' in a few hours). I need from cat back. I don't want anything that's going to stick out at the back (or anywhere else!) or make more noise than the standard one, but it would be nice to have a stainless steel one or get a few more horses as a result. I need to do something quick - the immediate choices are: an OM from dealer - £400+, an OM from Exhaust Centre - circa £350, a Hinks from CCSUK (supposedly exactly same spec as OM and with 3 yr guarantee) - considerably less than the OM, or a SS one from Longlife in Bristol (don't know how much yet) which can supposedly be as quiet as the OM if I want and provide extra horses (I would need convinicning about this one first). Any advice/ views/ suggestions welcome but before Monday 8th Jan. please, after which I'll have got or ordered one. Cheers.

It's A Reno
Same problem here.
This morning was fine, this afternoon snapped in 2 between rear 2 boxes, and only three weeks after warranty expired (not that they'd cover it).
After reading other threads, it looks like the 3 year mark is all the life you can expect from the original.

Similar requirements, want stealth, same horses or a little more and stainless.
Do Prospeed need the car or do they ship out?
If not, any recommendations for exhaust manufacturers in the Derbyshire area. Cheers

VW ....
prospeed

marby ... original exhausts are gash ... IIRC prospeed would need your car but u could always give a quick ring .

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Defo Prospeed. Mines hidden like the original, no big exhaust sticking out. And it's a bit louder, but Charlie at Prospeed can make them quiet as you like or loud as you like. Cost will be less I reckon compared to what you've said above. He's in Cardiff BTW.

Cheers, Rob669

Clio 172 & Laguna ST
Can anyone give me an opinion on/ their expereince of Longlife in Bristol?

Actually Thornbury (near Bristol), Cardiff and Basingstoke, now, I beleive.

Thanks.

Last edited:
  Megane Trophy, Golf
Same problem here.
This morning was fine, this afternoon snapped in 2 between rear 2 boxes, and only three weeks after warranty expired (not that they'd cover it).
After reading other threads, it looks like the 3 year mark is all the life you can expect from the original.

Similar requirements, want stealth, same horses or a little more and stainless.
Do Prospeed need the car or do they ship out?
If not, any recommendations for exhaust manufacturers in the Derbyshire area. Cheers

hi mate! where abouts in derbyshire ya from? theres a company in sheff that fits ss ones hand made to the car for 300 squid. cobra exhausts!

It's A Reno
Cheers cliO 172, I'll give em a bell on Monday.
Just looked on Autoroute, 165 miles with a ****ed exhaust, I'll be deaf :dead:
I suppose it'll be worth it to have a custom fit rather than having to make one fit.
What sort of power increase do you get? Anything the insurance company are going to get fussy about?

It's been a rough ride owning a 172 though, it's needed a new ABS sensor, new engine mount (which needed resetting 6 months later), new brakes discs and pads all round and new driveshaft. Thankfully all this was covered by the warranty, but all this after only 17k.

Worth it for the fun I suppose, the Nurburgring run etc :)

It's A Reno
Hi 172cupwizard, I'm near Derby.
Thanks for the info.
It's tempting to go local for a custom made, there's a place in Derby that do them, but if they haven't got much experience of making for the 172, you could end up losing horses, thats why prospeed are looking good.
I'll have a look at cobra's website if they have one tho, cheers.

Clio 172 & Laguna ST
Makavelli. Thanks for the tip.

Anyone tell me how quiet Charlie at Prospeed can get the exhaust - I saw some postings about him setting them quiet if requested... presumably not as quiet as the original but how much noisier? Is it noticable?

Last edited:
  Megane Trophy, Golf
Hi 172cupwizard, I'm near Derby.
Thanks for the info.
It's tempting to go local for a custom made, there's a place in Derby that do them, but if they haven't got much experience of making for the 172, you could end up losing horses, thats why prospeed are looking good.
I'll have a look at cobra's website if they have one tho, cheers.

ive got a number for cobra and another one that makes them in sheffield! both hand made to your car while you wait and they can make it as quiet or as loud as you want! there will be a slight increase in hp. but you would need a decat, closed induction kit and a remap from pm murray at leeds to gain any decent hp, ive been told he is the dogs danglies for this. if you need phone numbers pm me. cheers

It's A Reno
Does anyone know if there are any bhp gains to be had from a Prospeed exhaust or more importantly , any bhp losses?

I'm seriously thinking about getting one but don't want to leave with less power than I arrived with.

What sort of difference have people who've had one experienced, and what noise setting did you spec?

Cheers

VW ....
don't think anyone has had an RR before & after m8 ,what i will say is as far as custom exhausts go he's top notch ... i travelled from Scotland to have mine done & after 18mths no regrets .I wouldn't say i lost any power & would say 99% on here have been more than happy .

If you are wanting guaranteed gains then may be worth getting a yozzasport or something but your problem now is time .

VW ....
Makavelli. Thanks for the tip.

Anyone tell me how quiet Charlie at Prospeed can get the exhaust - I saw some postings about him setting them quiet if requested... presumably not as quiet as the original but how much noisier? Is it noticable?

i asked for mines to be quiet on cruising & nice note when under acceleration & that is what i got ,you'll never get as quiet as an original but has a nice subtle rumble .

VRS
don't think anyone has had an RR before & after m8 ,what i will say is as far as custom exhausts go he's top notch ... i travelled from Scotland to have mine done & after 18mths no regrets .I wouldn't say i lost any power & would say 99% on here have been more than happy .

If you are wanting guaranteed gains then may be worth getting a yozzasport or something but your problem now is time .

ditto that

the quality of my prospeed is top notch and as far as gains are concerned, i deffo didnt lose any power but any gains are minimal

to be honest u can pay more for a btb or yozzasport but we are only talking a couple of brake difference

u could get a prospeed and a manifold match for pretty much the same price as a btb or yozzasport exhaust and have better gains anyway :)

It's A Reno
Thanks cliO 172 and makavelli, that great info. I'll phone them tomorrow.

Now all I have to do is decide how loud to go. I'd like it a bit louder than a normal exhaust with a good growl on full acceleration.
I've seen people mention mild sport as a good setting, so I may go for that.
Cheers.