ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Expert advice needed please!

Hi all,

My Clio has only done around 36000 miles in around 6 years. However I have recently noticed that my car is starting to "auto-rev" on its own accord.

I mean this when I press on the gas engine revs as per normal, when I take my foot off, the rev needle seems to stick and still rev. This is happening when I take off but I have noticed it more when I am stationary. The only way to stop this is to put my foot on the gas again which "resets" the rev and goes back to normal. But then the same thing will happen again maybe later on during the journey.

I am worried now that this seems to affect my fuel consumption as I am obviously using gas when I don't need too.

Can anyone explain why this is happening, how much would it cost to fix this problem.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks all.

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
i think best bet is to take it to a reputable garage and have them look at it

getting someone to diagnose a problem over the internet is less than ideal, it could be any number of things

dont take that the wrong way but 34 views and no replies indicates that it is not a common problem and not a straight forward fix

saying that my money is on a sensor ;)

i think best bet is to take it to a reputable garage and have them look at it

getting someone to diagnose a problem over the internet is less than ideal, it could be any number of things

dont take that the wrong way but 34 views and no replies indicates that it is not a common problem and not a straight forward fix

saying that my money is on a sensor ;)

Thanks dude. Didn't mean to be cranky or anything, just when I used to post q's in the past, I kinda get a quick response. Plus for some reason I thought this was a common problem for clios and thought I would be inudated with responses...Lol!...cheers.

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
yeh no worries

i mean people can give advice or recommend what to do to fix it, but at the end of the day you cant beat a good garage having a look, and because there are so many factors contributing to idle speed you could end up replacing all sorts before you figure out what was causing it. especially as it is intermittent aswell, even a garage might have trouble diagnosing.

Well I figure what I was going to do is from stationary just rev the engine and then it will probably stick and then hope the garage can gain some insight whilst it in that state. It doesn't stop me driving the car to be honest but am concerned the problem will just grow.

sound like accelerator cable, iirc they are cabled and not FBW on those? other than that, as said, could be a million different things, but throttle cable would be my first port of call as it's fairly common on Clio's with cable throttles to fail.

Da

Less
Sounds like oxygen sensor, similar thing happened to someone I know. Cost around £200 to sort at dealers!

My Clio used to do this alittle like it would rev up between changes like a learner driver when you were thrashing it. Just gave it a good service and then gave it death for a few thousand miles. Never really was a great fan of that engine, sounded rough on idle and there are a few slow ones out there.

Da

Less
Does it erratic idle, with the exhaust shuddering etc? My friend who had this struggled to accelerate at points, it would 'lag' then catch up particularly at motorway speeds.

I would not say it is erratic, it depends on heavy I am reving the engine which will determine the point at which it will stick. Obviously if moving off, the needle sometimes sticks at low revs and will not go higher.
I don't have that "lag" problem that you speak of Daz mainly because my car is slow anyway!!

Ok cool.

Ask a stupid question but am I better off taking this to Renault (watford) or down to my local garage where I regularly get all my servicing done. If it indeed turns out to be parts, surely they can get the parts of Renault and probably do a better job anyway. Sorry its just that I heard shocking stories of Renault servicing on this forum for ages now and I don't wanna pay over the odds for what could be a simple fix. Renault want to charge me £50+VAT just for a dianostic check.

Clio Dci100 Dynamique
Its clearly a sticking accelerator cable, not that serious :)
I used to hav a fiesta that did that and it was an easy fix

Clio Dci100 Dynamique
they use FBW so there isnt a throttle cable as such,

Wot is FBW?
sounds like somethings sticking to me, the way he applies the gas and stops but it stays revving like he hadn't stopped, very strange, i'm going for sticky sumthing :)

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
fly by wire, means its all operated by computer, you put your foot on the pedal a computer senses it and opens the throttle

fly by wire, means its all operated by computer, you put your foot on the pedal a computer senses it and opens the throttle

In that case am I better off just going to Renault as surely my local garage wouldn't be able to help much if problem with possible onboard computer??