ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Explain your filing system

ipodsandguns

ClioSport Club Member
  GW X200 CUP
how do you arrange your photos?

Folders all in one? let software handle it?

Iv just lost every thing... so its a chance for me to implement a new system that may be better.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
good idea, i've just made a Photography folder in 'my pictures' and that's it do far.

ipodsandguns

ClioSport Club Member
  GW X200 CUP
I dont like using software to do it even though it does a nice job of sorting it in a library manor.

Before I used to do a folder for each day under 'photos' for example '26/03/11' for eg but it doesnt order it self correctly...

Cupra
I used to use a couple of folders for big events that I want to trace back easily. I am trying to use metadata and keywords in Lightroom these days to do away with moving photos.

The structure used to be:
Pictures:
Holidays
Parties
Weddings
Kids
Out and about (trips to places)
Work
Bits and Pieces (phone transfers and other random stuff)
Temp - with subfolders per day for all LR imports. If the photos were for something specific, then I moved them to one of hte above folders. I am about 3 years behind in sorting this lot out....

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Everytime you take some pics, put them all into a single folder with an appropriate name, then add to iphoto for easy viewing/sharing

Suzuki Ignis
I use Lightroom to organise it all but it can be done just the same in finder/explorer.

Pictures >People >Family
>Animals
>Portraits
>ect

>Places >Manchester
>Blackpool
>ect

>Objects >Products >Shoes
>Clothes
>Bottles

>Work

>Client1>Originals
>Edits
>Web

>Client2>Originals
>Edits
>Web

Then at the end of the month, it gets archived into monthly folders.

And a misc. folder for all the random s**te off my phone

Edit: it didnt list it how I had it clearly layed out coz I used spaces. Why cant I tab in the text box, just goes between buttons on the page?

2.2 bar shed.
No order. Its a bit of a nightmare. If its ever going to useful it'll be on the internet somewhere anyway.

Everytime you take some pics, put them all into a single folder with an appropriate name, then add to iphoto for easy viewing/sharing

Until iPhoto s***s itself as you've got 100,000 photos in there. Rebuilding librarys is no fun, and then theres the issue of fixing iPhoto again. Happened on my MacBook, gave up and just dont use it anymore tbh.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
iphoto does it all for me.

plug in camera to the computer.
comes up in iphoto
import all

done

ipodsandguns

ClioSport Club Member
  GW X200 CUP
I dont develop in iphoto... Im all PS me.

I admit Iphoto does file great, Just i dont wanna use one thing to file and another to go through post, im streamlining this s**t!

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
I dont develop in iphoto... Im all PS me.

I admit Iphoto does file great, Just i dont wanna use one thing to file and another to go through post, im streamlining this s**t!

Right click > show file > open in photoshop.

edit the file then click save. iphoto is updated.

ipodsandguns

ClioSport Club Member
  GW X200 CUP
You know what, I dont have iPhoto now, Lost my original osx disc with iLife, so lost all iLife when i went snow leopard...

I dont like iPhoto or Lightroom sorting them out as I like to keep with my system of sorting them out, so I do:

> "Pictures"
> "DSLR Whorage" (Loads of albums in there, just want to keep my dslr pics apart - normal pictures that ive took over the years have their own folders, e.g. "Clio 172", "Chezvegas" etc)
> Then the date & brief description (e.g. 9/3/11 CS Mini Meet y0), so that some sort of order is kept
> Then I keep edits in a subfolder called "Edits", naturally.

Last edited:
  Oil Burner
I let Lightroom do it all. Whats the point in trying do its job for it, its only likely to confuse matters in the long term. How often do you look for photos from your archives anyway? I rarely do, if i need to then there are Keywords or just browsing through the folders. Keep it simple.

275 Trophy
I dont like using software to do it even though it does a nice job of sorting it in a library manor.

Before I used to do a folder for each day under 'photos' for example '26/03/11' for eg but it doesnt order it self correctly...

Swop the date order round - 20110326 - sorts fine.

"Navy" N17 TWO
I take the photos off the card into a folder "Imports" with Bridge into their own subfolder "Scout Camp 2011, or Mikey's 21st Birthday etc.

Browse them in bridge and pick the ones I like (usually mark them with star rating)
Open in Camera Raw and make any minor adjustments to them - usually WB, straightening, healing brush and blacks is about all I've mastered so far :eek:

Any shots I want to sharpen I open in PS and use unsharp mask

Open them all in PS and run an action to add my logo and save as JPEGs in another folder "Processed Photos"

I always get the feeling I'm taking the long way around the shortcuts and not using PS to it's full potential? :S