ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Extending CD Changer Cable.

172, Tiguan

How hard is this to do? I assume I can go and buy some standard looking wire and extend the cd changer cable? The cable that came with the changer I bought is for the one that goes under the seat, not the one to the boot, so I need to extend it.

Going to have a go at it this evening.

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by CocoPops on 17 March 2005be careful, I think edde tried to do something similar and it never worked again!

Yup, he did. I have the cable at home. There is no way you are going to do it successfully.

Do you want to mount the changer in the boot or something?

172, Tiguan

Yer Ive had another one there in the past so there is a hole in the carpet already. Also I havent got any brackets or anything under the passenger seat so its floating around.

Hmm, I thought if i just did one wire at a time itd be OK?

Lee

BMW M2C

Its got lots of nasty shielding you would have to contend with. Im not bad with a soldering iron but Id not go to all that trouble. lol

172, Tiguan

What bits do I need to get it mounted below the seat then? Is it a tray it sits in or something?

[Edited by jon_r on 17 March 2005 at 9:44am]

Pain in the arse! Nobody has a really long changer wire then (Ive had these in the past) that they want to swap for a shorter one?

Lee

BMW M2C

Its more like two feet which slot into the slots under the carpet and screw to the autochanger.

Mr2 Roadster

Second thoughts if you post me a picture of the lead, I may have one!

There is a lead in my car from the last owner!

172, Tiguan

Well thats what I thought, but the guys above have somewhat put me off doing it. :confused:

[Edited by jon_r on 17 March 2005 at 9:56am]

OK Cheers Nick, ill try and find a pic. Reno lead yer? Ive gone back to standard.

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by jon_r on 17 March 2005
£86 for a cable! lol! Why does that not suprise me..

I tried to get the old one out of my 172 but it was stuck fast. So the new one was £86. Thats coming with me when the car goes. lol

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Ive got my CD changer(and brackets) sat in the dining room?

When I found out the cable was £86, I decided not to fit it and go for a HU replacement at some point.

Ford Fiesta

Yeah you can buy the bracket and fit it under drivers seat to keep your stroage box under passenger seat. Although I couldnt as have sat nav comp under drivers. So had to lose the storage box, which renault kept!

mate bought the £86 wire for a renault VDO 6 disc changer but wrong wire they wouldnt refund so we bought a cd changer renault alpine and mounted under drivers seat. Took the bracket off my old vdo 6 disc changer from my last dynamique.

Bloody hard to drill for screwing into floor tho! but stays solid with no drilling anyway, just resting on the floor with the bracket.

500bhp Scoob

jon, id quite happily extend the cable for ya.

Did it with my mates pioneer changer in his car.

did it using CAT5 network cable lol, worked perfectly after, even used heatshrink over it so its all protected properly.

(Am an electronics engineer by day :))

Quote: Originally posted by Mole on 18 March 2005
jon, id quite happily extend the cable for ya.

Did it with my mates pioneer changer in his car.

did it using CAT5 network cable lol, worked perfectly after, even used heatshrink over it so its all protected properly.

(Am an electronics engineer by day :))

BATMAN BY NIGHT !!!

Best get somone to do the cable fo you Im not to bad with a soldering iron and had help, and I couldnt solder mine back together.

Have you tried getting the standard cable just to fit by threading it down the side of the seat ie not round the top of the dash and round the boot that way its a long cable as standard and it might fit, Ive threaded mine down the side of the dash and under the seat and there a few feet of cable wound up round under there.

Just get the cradle personally its only chp and easier to swop the cds if its under the seat than in the boot.

172, Tiguan

Well I managed it, lol. Took bloody hours and lots of wire, solder and tape. You have to protect 3 different groups of wire with tape, then tin foil, then tape. Then had to do the 3 seperate wires (simple). After that had to tape the whole lot together, wrap it in more tin foil, then tape the whole lot. I now have one huge wire!! but fortunatly it works!

Lee

BMW M2C

Fair play mate, the older I get the less patient I get, Id have f**ked it off and gone to buy one. lol

Nice one Jon, as I said by pm as long as you took your time and checked what connected to what at each end then you couldnt go far wrong.

172, Tiguan

I was almost convinced not to do it, but it was bugging me big time. I cut open the wire and thought Oh No! but as id opened it i thought id have a go, i was resigned to buying a new one!

Relief when i connected it up and it worked i can tell you!