ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

F.A.O Ben H .......

ben.........did you write this ??

This is a proper hot hatch. Most cars seem to have "16v" as part of their names these days, but this the first 16v hot hatch. It has bags of pedigree besides this.

Having first dabbled with turbo technology in the Clio 16vs predecessor, the infamous 5 GT Turbo, Renault settled on an all-new 1764cc 16 Valve engine design for its hot hatches. The engine debuted in 1989 in the 19 16v and was seen in the very first Clio rally cars in 1990.

The Clio 16v (and later Williams) were the homologated cars that came from Renault Sports Group A rally programme. The regular Clio rally car (homologated as the Clio 16v), the Maxi (wide arch non-homologated special) and finally 2.0 rally car (homologated as the Williams) totally cleaned up the Front Wheel Drive categories and still hold many tarmac stage records.

Anyway, you probably want to know what the car is like! Well, its a similar deal to the regular Mk1 (1991-98) Clio in its general build and quality; so its on the border of goodish, but expensive when it goes wrong. The 16v shares the chassis and main pillars, but has flared arches (none of this bolt-on nonsense a la Saxo VTR/S), wider bumpers and its disctinctive bonnet bulge/scoop.

The car hanldles very well; moving the 205 GTi concept on in that its more predictably on the limit though retains the wonderful turn in and grip of its Peugeot predecessor. 0-60 comes in about 7.7 secs (book time) and on to 130mph. A word of warning though - some seem to be a lot faster than this, some a bit slower; probably to do with the care the car has recieved. The engine is quite un-animated below 4,500 rpm; in fact it feels no faster than a regular hatch until you open her up. Once up in the revs though, the car is devastatingly quick in a way that no other hot hatch of the era ever was.

The car is not complex to maintain, but it has a big engine in a small space. Add typically high Renault parts prices and maintenance becomes expensive. This is the main reason that most 16vs are still out of the hands of boy racers (although remarkably high residuals add to this).

The interior is quite acceptable, although will creak and rattle with age - not really a problem when the car is so dynamically gifted. The 16vs seats are quite wonderful, although as with the latter-day 172, you seem to sit "on" the car, rather than feel totally a part of it. Some of this is also to do with the offset pedal positioning - a curious French invention designed to prevent simultaneous braking and accelerating. My 16v has the desireable leather option - the front seats are straight from the 19 16v and hence are even more comfortable. This option reduces rear space even further.

There are many problems experienced with the 16v, but none are inherrent to the model. Well cared-for cars will easily see in six-figure mileages.
Submitted by: Ben H, 7 March 2003

LOL.....i love the boy racer bit !!!!..........which i would say is no longer true !!!!!!

mate..........you really really can waffle! :p

but didnt the golf MK2 16V come out before? 309GTi? there must be more....it cant be the first surely!

The Golf 16v got there first, but in my haste to waffle, I forgot to say "small" hot hatch!!

This review was just for a small site (I forget which one!) as I was a bit fed up people writing about their 16vs (of the 1.2 variety)!!

Quote: Originally posted by Ben H on 09 May 2003

This review was just for a small site (I forget which one!) as I was a bit fed up people writing about their 16vs (of the 1.2 variety)!!
:eek: settin yourself up for a flaming from the likes of zedx there, next we will get cliosport blah blah blah cuss cuss, RSC way better more friendly blah blah blah ;)