ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

f**king windows 8 charms bar..

FF RB 182
Got a new laptop and stupidly it came with windows 8 wish i selected windows 7 now!

The stupid charms bar or whatever it's called on the right hand side keeps coming up, even if my mouse is only 3/4 of the way right on the screen, doing my head in.

i've tried to disable it with registry tweaks, also running classic shell thing and there are options inside that to turn it off, tried that. Still doesn't work.

Looked at my track pad settings and disabled the side swipe gestures and anything to do with the edges etc. Very annoying!

Anyone else had problems?

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
If you're still using classicshell:

Right click on the start button, and go to settings. In 'Windows 8 settings' disable all active corners. That should fix it.

FF RB 182
Thats what i did before mate, it works for sometime, then it starts appearing again. It's not doing it, but it will more than likely start doing it.

Was playing AoE II last night and it kept on coming up every time i was moving around the map.

FF RB 182
Just came up again I don't know how.. the mouse was 3/4 of the way to the right! I know you can bring it up by hitting windows + c.

Its strange because i can't drag my cursor off the screen.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
It's weird because the charms bar should only come up when your mouse hits the edge of the screen. You've not got a touchscreen have you?

FF RB 182
nope no touch screen.

I'm playing and trying to work out how i'm getting it up.

Closing a window then moving my mouse to the left seems to set it off sometimes, can't do it every time though.

When i'm on my desktop, i can't drag my cursor off the screen on the left hand side and upper corner, but i can on the right hand side.

FF RB 182
Just removed classic shell, re doing the reg' keys so its enabled, then will install classic shell again and disable it in that.

FF RB 182
Still...

charmsbar.jpg

FF RB 182
How my account is administrator?

Or do you mean finding the .exe and right clicking?

Edit. Classic shell DOES disable it, if i enable it then disable it, it's obvious just have to put my cursor to the right and it pops out. But STILL with it DISABLED something is drawing the f**ker out.

Seems to be if i leave the cursor idle for a bit.. then move it to the left.. it pops out.

Last edited:

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Found how i was doing it! lol If i held my finger to the right of my touch pad then slided it left.. it would open. Now ive just got to try and disable it, found this on google but i don't have edge swipes in my settings.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/20992-touchpad-edge-swipes-enable-disable-windows-8-a.html

I thought you'd ruled that out lol.

My mousepad settings app is terrible, every time you restart the laptop it reverts back to standard (i.e. edge swipes, gestures, tap to click etc) until you open the settings up again.

FF RB 182
I thought you'd ruled that out lol.

My mousepad settings app is terrible, every time you restart the laptop it reverts back to standard (i.e. edge swipes, gestures, tap to click etc) until you open the settings up again.

So had i, i've disabled 'EdgeMotion' thats the only thing close to edge swipes I can find.. Just downloading latest software for synaptics hopefully they've changed some of the options so i can disable edge swipes can't find it anywhere.

FF RB 182
Windows 8 is a f**king joke, can't even uninstall the original Synaptics software.. says please log in as an administrator and I am and the only administrator on the flipping computer.. what more do they want. Just been out and bought a mouse to use. But still want to use the trackpad from time to time.

FF RB 182
In the users it says i'm an administrator in the user settings. Windows 8 is a complete joke.

FF RB 182
Activated the 'hidden' admin account using cmd and logged in.. still can't uninstall it because i need to be an admin. f**k me, such simple tasks are a ball ache. Tempted to install windows 7.

Burn windows 8 its s**t format the laptop and put a hooky copy of 7 on mate. Windows 8 should be restricted to tablets it doesn't work on PC. The misses dad asked me to install Microsoft office on his friends laptop took me half an hour to find the start bar and what not then when tying to install says he's not an admin he is the only account holder. Then looked in start bar and it had installed it?! Windows 8 is utterly useless and retarded.

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
I've had windows 8 since one of the first betas.

I've had absolutely no problems with it. Works as it should and does things a lot faster.

What some people don't like is change.

Same thing when iOS 7 came out. People don't take the time to get used to it before criticising.

Give it some time and get used to the features, using the win key for shortcuts and others and I bet you start to like it.

It's here to stay after all.

FF RB 182
I'd be happy with it, if i could get wrid of the stupid flipping bar. I've given up trying to uninstall the synaptics software to update because it won't let me, no matter if its on my account or the computers adimistrator account. Utter s**t. If it wasn't for the classic shell program I would of put something else on. How the f**k are you meant to use it in the tablet mode.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
just uninstall the drivers for your mouse pad and use basic/generic ones. It will remove the side swipe actions (if you cant get the official driver to stay 'disabled'). If you cant do it form the normal logon, use safemode.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Burn windows 8 its s**t format the laptop and put a hooky copy of 7 on mate. Windows 8 should be restricted to tablets it doesn't work on PC. The misses dad asked me to install Microsoft office on his friends laptop took me half an hour to find the start bar and what not then when tying to install says he's not an admin he is the only account holder. Then looked in start bar and it had installed it?! Windows 8 is utterly useless and retarded.

its really not lol. It works fine on pc's, you just have to know how to use it (which is difficult at all). 8.1 even gives you a start menu option in the old place.

I've been put off it from the beta and from that laptop the other day what regarded OS doesn't let an admin install or uninstall program's?

Of course it lets an admin install stuff. Seriously, do you think there are millions of Windows 8 users just sat there with nothing installed apart from that included with the O/S??

Of course it lets an admin install stuff. Seriously, do you think there are millions of Windows 8 users just sat there with nothing installed apart from that included with the O/S??

I should imagine so. Even on the windows site it says you need to run a cmd prompt to access a hidden admin account to install stuff. Should you have to do that each and every time?

There are a lot of cases open with Microsoft just via a google search... One example.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...n-rights/42b3141f-a8e0-4b27-8c30-f3b2551b64f7

I don't understand with a clean install on a new laptop why the very first account to be installed wouldn't be administrator? Unless there is a dicky image that all these companies are using to load windows 8 onto the new computers which has a profile magically already setup but hidden.

FF RB 182
just uninstall the drivers for your mouse pad and use basic/generic ones. It will remove the side swipe actions (if you cant get the official driver to stay 'disabled'). If you cant do it form the normal logon, use safemode.

I can't uninstall my trackpad software.. tells me i need to be an admin. I activated the hidden admin account logged out of my account logged into the admin account, still says I need to be an admin. Booting to safe mode is my next option, but you shouldn't have to do that to uninstall a program.

Some poorly written software will not trigger a prompt for elevation. Even though an account has admin rights it doesn't run with them until elevated. Until then its running with a restricted token. Start a command prompt as administrator (right click -> run as admin) then try launching uninstall from there. Any child process of an elevated parent will automatically run with the elevated token.

FF RB 182
I booted to safe mode and it worked, then i tried installing latest drivers won't let me has an error. Going to try download some off the Dell site now.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I can't uninstall my trackpad software.. tells me i need to be an admin. I activated the hidden admin account logged out of my account logged into the admin account, still says I need to be an admin. Booting to safe mode is my next option, but you shouldn't have to do that to uninstall a program.

you should have been able to use the 'run as' feature or make your account an admin account.

Now you have it uninstalled though, just try it with the most basic driver you can (i.e. the ones windows installs for you).

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I don't understand with a clean install on a new laptop why the very first account to be installed wouldn't be administrator? Unless there is a dicky image that all these companies are using to load windows 8 onto the new computers which has a profile magically already setup but hidden.

I dont understand how people have managed to make themselves normal users and not administrators! Anyway, just goto "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\User Accounts\Change Your Account Type" in safemode to correct the issue, problem solved.

FF RB 182
I dont understand how people have managed to make themselves normal users and not administrators! Anyway, just goto "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\User Accounts\Change Your Account Type" in safemode to correct the issue, problem solved.

Done all that but still have to boot to safe mode to remove a program what a peice of shite.

Nissan 350z
If its a laptop and you have narrowed it down to the touchpad then its not really a Windows8 problem anymore its the touchpad firmware/software. Do you need to use the touchpad, cant you just disable and plug in an external mouse?

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
If its a laptop and you have narrowed it down to the touchpad then its not really a Windows8 problem anymore its the touchpad firmware/software. Do you need to use the touchpad, cant you just disable and plug in an external mouse?

External mouse is the way forward.

Then again, no point in having a laptop if you can't use the touchpad.