ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

F4R in a Mk1 Immobiliser issues with the emulator

F4R Mk1 Hybrid
On my F4R engine in my Mk1 the ecu was de-coded and the emulator chip fitted like so

IMAG0482.jpg

I am getting the immobiliser stuck on though, as the engine only cranks and does not give 12V to the coil or any injector pulse when doing the test with the little bulb.

I think it must be the emulator chip that has failed.

My question is, if the ecu has already been de-coded and fitted with the emulator chip, can i just buy a new emulator and swap it over, or is there anything else to be done like decoding again??

Tim

Yes you can just buy another emulator and plug it in, I did once as one of the pins on the small white connector had broken. This only applies if the ECU was virginised/decoded before fitting the emulator - who fitted it/did the work?

Easy way to test if its working is to check if the emulator is getting 12v with the ignition on, and if its earthed properly.

F4R Mk1 Hybrid
I bought the car from patrick_g46 from Clio16valver. I've only been a user on there up till now even though I opened an account here a while ago. I'll be on here more from now since getting the F4R though.
cliof4r.jpg

I spoke to someone else on C16v and they had their ecu de-coded by andrew cooke on here and said it looked like mine had been done by him also.

Yeah it probably has been. If you have a multi meter test the wires for the emulator, see if one of them is 12v when the ignition is on stage two. Test the earth also, it should give continuity to the - on the battery itself. If both of them are ok, the third wire should show 5v(ish) - if that's the case then the emulator should be OK. If they are the results you get i'd be looking at crank sensor as that's the other thing that causes the issues you describe if its not the immobiliser..

F4R Mk1 Hybrid
Cool, i will check that out.

I've already replaced the crank sensor with a gen ren one (it's already got the new piece of loom too) I thought it was this at first, but it's not the coil either.

Thanks for your help.

Could be the emulator then! Ive had no end of issues with my ECU/emulator when I first did the conversion in 2008/9, but it was OK last year - so I hope its fine for good now!

Someone else I know with the conversion has also been having issues recently (the same as described in your first post), but its not been the ECU or crank sensor (as we've fitted my working ones) So far we've not been able to work out what it is causing the problem, so hopefully yours will be a simple fix! http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...e-Cranks-Over-But-Does-Not-Fire...&highlight=

F4R Mk1 Hybrid
I ordered a new emulator on monday and it took royal mail 3 days to deliver it but now my car is fully operational again Wooohooooo :D
No need to have spent £40 on a renault crank sensor, but that probably would have broken soon anyway!