ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

F4R into a MK1 Megane

Monaco Clio 172
Ive searched the net about this and cant seem to find anybody thats done this. My mates mk1 meggy with 1.6 16v engine has give up the ghost, so instead of just dropping another lump in we are looking to drop a F4R into it. I know id need the obvious like loom, ecu and the engine but what else would be needed? Would the mounts need modding? What driveshafts would be used? ect. ect.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Mk1 never came in 16v guise unless it was a 2.0?

Either way, you need to do a search on here, someone (Scotty iirc??) did a conversion on a ph2 meg coupe.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
It must be a phase two then. In which case, Scott (I think tha was his name! lol) will definately be able to help as his was a ph2 aswell.

Ph1's came on a 1996 N reg upto a 1999 T reg.

Ph2's came on a 1999 T reg up until 2003 on a 53.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
all the mechanicals bar the exhaust will fit with no issues but the b**ch is in wiring it up.

if i was your mate id look for a phase 2 vvt (non sport f4r) and use the pedal, loom, ecu and engine out of that. will only be 140 bhp but fitting the 1*2 engine in there is a lot of work electrically and you would nee to mess about with imobilisers and ecu's and evrything

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
yeah the later phase 2 meganes had a non sport f4r in them after the IDE was a monumental disaster. the engine is an f4r with a lower compression and diffrent exhaust and inlet manifold iirc.

its your best option as no doubt scott will be along to tell you his was a nightmare when it came to wiring

Monaco Clio 172
Yeah i think its already got a non sport F4R. By looking at the scenic engines in ebay its the same

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
is it a 2.0 or a 1.6? if its a 1.6 with a plastic inlet then its a k4m, if its a 2.0 with metal inlet then its either the f5r or f4r depending on what year the car was made

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
then your best bet is finding a f4r from a megane.

or an even better result would be to stick another k4m in there, thats the easiest route ;)

swapping in a PH1 172 engine is straight forward enough, cable throttle, and the ECU is easily unlocked. I started trying to get a PH2 running in my Twingo, bad idea, it's all PH1 now.

Monaco Clio 172
so if i get a ph1 engine, ecu and the pedal then im good to go?
Where can i get the ecu unlocked?

getting the engine in and running is no real problem, it only needs about 4 wires connecting to the PH1 loom and it'll run, but how you sort out your ABS, airbags, and dashboard is a complete mystery to me. But, engine swaps aren't just one step on from being able to swap the gearbox...

Megane 1.6 8v Ph1
I'm considering doing a 172 swap into a 1997 Megane Coupe (1.6 8v) and would like a bit of a rundown of what I'd need to get my hands on and how involved the project might be. If any of you could help me or point me in the right direction, it'd be much appreciated!