ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

F4R lightened crank

BRT Motorsport

ClioSport Trader
  Clio Rally car
have engine with steel rods,high comp pistons,cams, have a few months break, just looking to get bit more out of the engine

BRT Motorsport

ClioSport Trader
  Clio Rally car
Hi Northloopcup
i was meaning few months break before competing again
no nothings broke just trying to get bit more power

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Are you sure? I have these weights for F4R cranks:
172 Ph1 xx.xkg (but I think it's similar to 182 Ph3)
172 Ph2 12.8kg
182 Ph3 13.8kg
197 Ph1 14.5kg
Interesting. I weighed a 197 crank and a ph1 crank. The ph1 was heavier than the 197. I have a ph2 172 crank I can weigh for comparison to your figures.

Where did you get them from out of interest?

Renault Clio RS ph2
Where did you get them from out of interest?
I got them from Clio RS French forum.
F4R736 - Ph2
oiavwz.jpg

F4R738 - Ph3
167jyh3.jpg

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
So it heavier? Never heard of a crank break when using 8k, why use the 197 one then ?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
So it heavier? Never heard of a crank break when using 8k, why use the 197 one then ?
Yep, but lighter than the ph1 172 crank. There's a relationship between rod weight, piston weight and crank weight but my mate who knows substantially more about these things can't explain/describe it to me. A lighter crank isn't necessarily the best way forward in some cases.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
But the big point it was lighter which it isn't it heavier so why would you use a 197 one? 172 cranks don't break, or never heard of one doing so why bother.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
But the big point it was lighter which it isn't it heavier so why would you use a 197 one? 172 cranks don't break, or never heard of one doing so why bother.
Why did Renault change the weight of the crank? Simple answer - I don't know mate and I'm not especially sure I care tbh. We've all learnt that the 197 crank isn't the lightest one so at least we all know. Nope f4r cranks don't break, but they can and do flex.

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Big thread dig here: but over the last few years do we know anymore about the 197 crank weight combination with 197 rods and pistons in a 182 long block for higher rpm reliability etc?

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
depends how far you want to go but my build is totally stock 172 bottom end, phase 1 so maybe the heaviest crank but no one knows, and that's revved to 7800 limiter and mostly used for track. done 20 trackdays so far an nothings let go.....yet