ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

"f7P 1.8 engine timing marks.

Clio track car
Hi can someone please tell me what position the crankshaft should be in when setting tdc. I have seen somewhere that the woodruff key is at the top and somewhere else it says at the bottom , if I fit the crank locking pin the number 1 piston goes a couple of teeth past tdc. Whereas if I set the key way to the top I can get tdc on number 1 piston , ,,, confused ! David.

172 Ph1
How you check your at TDC is off the gearbox marks .
There is a cut mark in the flywheel and a zero point in the box .
The pin slots in at that point and only when at tdc number 1 .
You can confirm by where the rotor is on the distributor cap , firing cylinder 1 is closest to flywheel end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

172 Ph1
Forget the woodruff key , it doesn’t come into play at all .
The cut mark on the flywheel is the only tdc mark you are concerned with to time it correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clio track car
So what about the locking pin? If I fit that the number 1 piston goes slightly passed tdc.

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
Whats the issue bud, recently did the belt on mine with just the Haynes manual, just align all the marks and use the pin?
20210526_205446.jpg