ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fancy a 50mm

Currently got a Nikon D40x and the kit 18-55, and a zoom lens which Ive used once!

Are the 50mm as good as I hear? Which one would you recommend for my D40x?

Any pics from one?

TIA :)

Try getting an Auto-focus lens if you can. They're more pricey, but definitely worth it. Shooting at f/1.8, it's quite tricky to get properly focused when doing it manually - I can never really tell through the view finder, or even on the screen as to whether it's fully in focus; it's only when you put them on a computer screen that you can really tell.

Here are some from my D5000 + 50mm fully manual Nikon "Series E" film lens.. (all shot at f/1.8)

5497461858_bc25e9b2d3_z.png

5448164438_bf2b5fd8fa_z.png

5447563703_f2a41cca1d_z.jpg

Also worth noting, if you get a film lens like mine, you can only use it in Manual mode on the camera and you have to adjust aperture on the lens itself - the camera doesn't recognise it's got a lens on I don't think?

"Navy" N17 TWO
"The good oul nifty-fifty" :cool:

GET ONE! Cheapest lens you can buy for your kit and a brilliant one at that!

Oil Burner
"The good oul nifty-fifty" :cool:

GET ONE! Cheapest lens you can buy for your kit and a brilliant one at that!

For a Nikon?

There is one, but its not AF-S, so not going to AF

I think there is a fairly cheap 35mm F1.8 AF-S for Nikon that will still AF on a D40

"Navy" N17 TWO
Doesn't the D40X have the AF motor? :S
I thought it did for some reason.

Either way, I bought mine when I owned my D40 (the basic one) and still used it a lot, so man-up and focus! ;)

A4 Avant
For the price it's difficult to beat a nifty fifty. Great DOF can be achieved. Can be slightly slow to auto focus. I'd prefer a 35mm lense so when on a cropped body it would be closer to an actual 50mm, but it's at least triple the cost.

koi

Audi S1
What you planning to use it for? For a day to day lens I would go for a 35mm rather than the 50mm