ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fantastic forum, glad I joined, need pulley locking assistance

G11 with CB80 & 172
Hi all,
First post here and I have to say thank you too all who spend time sharing their knowledge. I have learnt a wealth of information here concerning my newest vehicle a 2002 sport 172, iceberg silver but i think i have been lead astray by my local Renault dealer service center. I'm hoping one of you can let me know if the following is correct or if I'm wrong?

My sport needed a timing belt change soon after i bought it. Please hear me out before you respond with "no another timing belt blunder". Thanks to the wonderful descriptions from many dedicated Renault owners my timing belt change is going along well. Slow, I'm taking my time, but well. The car has had a timing belt change before so this will be its second. It has pen marks on the cam pulley's that correspond with marks on the head, I'm guessing from the first timing belt change. The TDC pin clicked into place and I have checked the timing mark on the flywheel is in line with the gearbox casing mark. Unfortunately the horseshoe camshaft setting tool doesn't quite fit. The grooves on the ends of the camshaft are below the center line in the head casing so with all the other marks lining up the only thing I can think is that the timing is slightly off. Would that be a correct assumption? I havent loosened anything to do with the timing belt yet.

The main issue I have however is that I think the tools my local Renault dealer has sold me may not quite be right. I asked for the three tools I believe I need to do the job properly. TDC crank locking pin, cam setting tool (horseshoe) and the pulley locking tool. I specifically asked for genuine Renault tools and parts for the job. The parts they supplied are all genuine Renault, the tools aren't. I queried it and was told it was all they could provide. "Its the same kit we use" and they showed me their used kit. Problem is the kit doesnt seem to be the correct kit, or I should say part of the kit seems correct, part is wrong. Link to the kit they sold me Here is the url if the link doesnt work http://content.yudu.com/Library/A1y1ve/EndeavourTimingTools/resources/70.htm

ET299
Cam timing tool, Yes
TDC/crank pin, Yes
extra cam locking pin with thread, not needed for sport
pulley locking tool, yes it has one but not the correct one for the sport.

I can see the correct pulley locking tool on the page of the catalog ET1150A, is that correct?

Have they sold me ET299 because thats the only way to get the cam timing tool and TDC pin and havent sold me the correct pulley locking tool as an extra because they dont use it for timing belts? Does it sound like they just do it the fast but not as accurate way, not releasing the cam pulley's? I have read on this forum that it is thought some Renault service centers do it that faster way, but that if you want it spot on the pulley locking tool is needed and the pulleys loosened to equilize the tension in the belt. Is that right?

I went to lock the pulleys and realized it wasn't the right one. I didnt look at it properly before i started, but I havent undone anything important at this point with the timing belt, I have removed the aux belt.

Sorry i know this is long I just thought its faster if you know some background to my question. Thanks for hanging in there.

Is my next plan of attack to go back and slap them with a cold salmon then ask to purchase the correct pulley locking tool, ET1150A?

Once i have it i still have to deal with the issue of my horseshoe not fitting when everything else is lined up. Is it best to rectify this before removing the belt? I would prefer to.
If so do I lock the cams with the pulley tool
Release one cam nut (exhaust?)
Release the matching cog on the pulley tool
Rotate the cam a little till the horseshoe fits, then tighten the cog on the pulley tool back up, locking the cams
release the other cam pulley nut so both are just loose enough and
continue with the belt change, checking of timing and replacement of the new aux belt?

I would be most grateful if anyone can throw some light my way?
Both myself and the sport Thank you.