ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FAO PC/Wireless Network Gurus

I'm wanting to build a HTPC for under the telly so i can play films accross my network from a server in the loft...thats no problem but i have a question about the wireless bandwidth i'll need;

Given that the HTPC will effectively be opening a DVD ISO accross the network would 108MBPS (i.e super G) be enough to cope with this?

It almost works on my current 54MBPS setup but is still 'jerky' and what with wireless N still not finialised i don't want to shell out on the pre-N stuff if i can help it as that may not be future proof...

Opinions?

BTW i'm currently ISO'ing my DVDs...got 320 left to do so am gonna be here a while :(

Clio 172mk2
make em divx xvid

also i take it yer not looking at HD films ect yet

tbh if you can i`d run a wired connection

Not going to divx/xvid them as i want the ability to burn a dvd copy...plus encoding them will take even longer! :(

I can wire the HTPC to the router but the server will still be wireless so that kinda rules that option out too.

Does anyone know if the wireless N draft 2 equipment will be upgradable when the standard is finalised?

Clio 172mk2
not a ideal solution , but why not copy the dvd to the htpc before you want to watch it.

then as wi fi gets faster n cheaper then upgrade

Thanks Daz.

I'll go scan fleebay for the super g equivalent of my router.

My next problem will be storage...think for all my dvds i'm gonna need 1.5TB!

My poor mini itx box! lol

*Apparently* max DVD Video is around 10Mb.. :)

Get a HP MediaSmart server running Windows Home server.. load it with 1TB drives, in RAID5 (so if one drive dies, you keep your data), and you'll have around 3TB then.. ;)

Well I'm currently running 4 drives in my mini itx rack case - 2 lots of 2 mirrors (80 GB OS and 500GB data)...think i'll probably blow that away and stick 4 750GB drives in with one of those new EPIA SN boards (as they have a RAID 5 controller integrated).

Home server is poop...i bought it when it came out then ditched it in favour of small business server. Tempted to give a Linux solution a go though...Clarkconnect do a nice web wrapped package with FTP/Samba/VPn servers...

We'll see though!

WHS rocks.. loads of decent plugins now, too.
And, it's easy to admin - anyone can do it. I'd get one for home file serving without any hesitation. (and probably am)

If I was going the Linux route, I'd be installing vanilla Debian and going from there :p

lol

Nah, TBF WHS is ok...i just went for SBS as i 'obtained' a licence for free and, as i do programming, it allowed me to have IIS/sharepoint/SQL Server and i can bung Virtual Server on too. Does take a bit of configuring i agree... :)

I must help support about 30 different SBS boxes.. hate them all equally :p

Full products in a proper infrastructure ftw :p