ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FAO valver owners

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent
hello peeps,

just a quick question for valver owners well 3 actually

how long you have had the car?

how many times you have broken down?

how much roughly do you reckon it costs a month to run it?

all serious questions

and serious answers please

Beetle
how long you have had the car? Purchased last may (2005)

how many times you have broken down? never, i sh*t you not it has never let me down, never overheated, failed to start or anything, even on the coldest mornings.

how much roughly do you reckon it costs a month to run it? i use about a tenner a week in petrol and do roughly 80 miles, obviously i use more more with all the random drives though :D take it steady and i get reasonable mpg.

(p.s. its for sale;) )

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
i dont understand why you have asked how much it costs to run a month, as my running costs will vary widly to someone doing 16k a year? are you asking how much petrol is/what mpg we achieve? if so mine achieved 230 miles to £25 other week, mine is standard and that was a motorway run, if you are talking town driving, booting it i can get around 26/27/28 combined but i dont drive that harsly. i think that mine is excellent on fuel.
additionally i feel valvers and willliams have a bad rep for being unrelieable and expensive to maintain. i have had my williams a year and i dont feel that if is at all expensive to run, and it has never broken down, it has had a couple of issues like the abs light pissing about but thats it! nothing else in just over a year. although, it must be said, alot of owners have had more than their fair share of issues, i think i have just been lucky...
however the car is very raw, there alot of rattles and noises, in fact everytime i get in the car i spot/here a new squeek, and imo the cars need more than a little tlc, for example mine gets a VERY gentle run from cold, and the engine can sound a little rough in the morning. if you are coming from a "newer" car you will have a shock, although looking at your avatar i presumed you had a valver anyway, or is it a lookalike.
anyhows good look if u need some more help let me know

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
I've had mine for 8month are so only problems I've had have been due to trackdays....snapped exhaust, quickshift, broken alt belt, broken alt to battery connection. Has run faultlessly otherwise. Get a good un' and it will be cheap to mantain imo

Beetle
lawrence said:
mintness mate, if i had that car id be keeping that
Cheers mate:) I might do lol, no great rush to sell so if it doesn't sell by fcs i'll be getting it into A1 condition and keep it another year or so, or willyfi it:evil:

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent
Jamie_Williams3 said:
i dont understand why you have asked how much it costs to run a month, as my running costs will vary widly to someone doing 16k a year? are you asking how much petrol is/what mpg we achieve? if so mine achieved 230 miles to £25 other week, mine is standard and that was a motorway run, if you are talking town driving, booting it i can get around 26/27/28 combined but i dont drive that harsly. i think that mine is excellent on fuel.
additionally i feel valvers and willliams have a bad rep for being unrelieable and expensive to maintain. i have had my williams a year and i dont feel that if is at all expensive to run, and it has never broken down, it has had a couple of issues like the abs light pissing about but thats it! nothing else in just over a year. although, it must be said, alot of owners have had more than their fair share of issues, i think i have just been lucky...
however the car is very raw, there alot of rattles and noises, in fact everytime i get in the car i spot/here a new squeek, and imo the cars need more than a little tlc, for example mine gets a VERY gentle run from cold, and the engine can sound a little rough in the morning. if you are coming from a "newer" car you will have a shock, although looking at your avatar i presumed you had a valver anyway, or is it a lookalike.
anyhows good look if u need some more help let me know

nope never had a valver, thats ballcrushers old williams,

running costs as in a breakdown of tax, insurance, petrol, servicing, wear and tear etc,

Saxo VTS
Bought it Dec 2005.

Erm gearbox died, but due to neglect. No oil + 1000 miles and a long motorway stint burnt it up. Since then PAS pump also went and centre section of the exhaust needed replacing. It has however never not started or cut out etc.

Cost to run. Well does about 70 miles per £10 of fuel around town and lanes. insurance is £107 a month.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
^^^Lol, sorry but im sure u can find out how much tax is and i cant tell u how much ur insurance is going to be. my insurance is 800tpft and im 21 with 2y.n.c.b, a valver was 650 iirc. as for servicing costs, i service mine once a year but change oil every 4/5k. a service if u paid for one would be £100 ish (from my local nationwide autocentre) and oil and filter is £25 ish. wear and tear is a hard one to predict as some things go/break when they break, all i can say is mine hasnt been that expensive. i mean the engines are v good, just ask martin he gives his enough s**t and its still going

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent
i was just looking for ballpark figures really, insurance and tax i know off hand, just wanted to see what owners where spending on their valvers to keep them in tip top and if its a money pit like my old 172 cup

megane coupe F7R
Ive owned mine 3 years. Replaced

coil/dizzy/leads due to an electrical fualt i couldnt find. (It was an earth lol)

Alternator

Cambelt kit (pulleys ect)

2 clutch cables

then clutch lol

accelerator cable

Wheel bearing x1

dogleg engine mount and top mount

gearbox cuz it locked up but had done 137k.

Gearbox again because i broke it after less than 10k of thrashing lol

Had a backbox a few months back cuz it gave in after 2 1/2 years (not bad that)

Obviously i bought tyres, brake pads, car tax ect

Running costs generaly 60-70 miles to a tenna and it usually goes a few months without braking lol.

Overall its a great car and i do all that again^^^ because i fuckin love it.

Oh yeah, need a speedo cable as mines gone dodgy ;)

And thats it lol

Bear in mind the car has done 152k now

Vee dub
Had YOJ for over a year and a half... been fantastic.... not let me down

I spend around £25-30 a week on fuel.. I travel to Uni 3/4 times a week

Apart from service costs and tyres etc... no faults yet.. not cheap mind

Tom

Last edited:
  Clio 190bhp Hybrid
Had mine 5 years and paid 5k for it in January 2001. Had 44k miles on then and now it had 115k.

It has never broken down. Refused to start twice when not used for a period of a week or two in winter which resulted in new battery, dizzy and rotor. Possibly first change so 8 years isn't that bad. Second time just required charge of battery and clean of plugs.

In 5 years spent money on fuel getting approx 380 miles per tank with ecotek valve. Never failed an MOT for anything more than a bulb or wiper blade.

Main costs:
Oil change inc filter every 6k (as much as you want to give a mechanic or do it yourself for less)
Cambelt change at 72k £137 plus VAT at BBPT
Waterpump change at 72k £128 plus VAT at BBPT
Tyres: Eagle F1s in 195/50/15 for £45 a corner fitted
Tarox G88 disks all round and fast road pads, only change of braking I have needed to do. Can get cheaper though
Clutch change: £50 for clutch from GSF and £120 labour (4 hours cash in hand) but this can be quoted anything up to £800 depending where you take it.
Coilovers to replace 7 year old suspension: £400 plus some set up at Northampton Motorsport
Service items like bulbs, plugs, leads and additives. Plus damaged headlight and sticky rear brake calipers.

If you have a stainless exhaust like my Valver came with, should never need replacing. The standard ones don't last long.

Performance mods not relaly required: Could say suspension change but it was noticeable with it changed so doesn't hurt to change old stuff. BBPT chip made car more drivable £235 IIRC. Strut brace £50.

Had a respray to sort some break in damage and delocked at same time.

My cars 10 years old now but still makes me smile and if you look at costs of ownership, cheap if you only change things when they are needed and maybe upgarde then rather than waste money replacing perfectly good items for some fancier ones. Wait till they are worn and then upgrade.

As my next cambelt change is due soon. For safety not leaving it every 72k, I am absorbing the cost by new 180 bhp (estimated) big valve 2 litre going in.

Car is everything I want it to be so after engine, another respray to get rid of some niggles ( and sort rear arches) and then new wheels as stil on standard phase 2s.

Clio 172
I have owned my clio 16v since Oct 2004

Breakdowns are prob somewhere around 8 - 10 times now and prob around 20 trips to the garage!

Costs to run depends, some months it has been 500 quid or more (when the head gasket goes or gearbox decides to loose reverse!!!!) Normally tho around 100 quid on petrol and every 6 months a service + mot and tax ontop aswell etc.

I owned my mint phase 2 for three years (from june 2002) until july last year.
In terms of running, in that time I had a new clutch, circa £250.00.
Had it serviced every 6k at about £80.00 per go.

The engine let go in it ! (the oil pressure pump went & the engine seized- gutted !) the engine swap including the new one cost £600 + I had the cambelt & tensioners done etc (the original was on 91k but the new one was on 60k, it felt nice & tight rather than loose like the old engine)

I did most of the maintence things like brakes etc myself to keep costs down.
In trems of running it, the only real cost was petrol.
I only used to drive it on the weekends & the odd occasion after work.

valver
had my 1995 valver since december had it on the road for exactly 7 days, threw £800 into it, had new clutch, 3 clutch ratchets, clutch cable, clutch kit, eye reciever, rear view mirror lol, and now alarm is screwed, i love the car when its going so much fun. going to hickleys tommorow for new alarm system going to be anotha £200

williams and trophy
bought mine march 2002

was completely std wen i bought it..de-catted it within a week........blew the baffles out the std system, had a powerflow cat back s/s zorst fitted in the sep 2002.

it failed the mot that year on a broken spring......so AVO coilovers fitted up front with adj shox on the rear.

clutch went about 2 1/2 years ago.......so rebuilt a meggy lump as i wanted it, with new box, cams, all bearings, pumps etc replaced, h/d clutch, quikshift etc.

been like that since...

only really broke down once.....thanks kent cams........when the cams shattered, destroying the head.

put a std 1800 valver head on about 12 months ago, after it happened.........been fine since.

total cost.including the mods, and original purchase is about 8k.

ins/fuel etc not inc.

iv bought 2 complete sets of tyres since i bought it, and a round of discs/pads......still got 2 tyres sat waitin to go on tho, wen the others get worn, and iv put 2 clutch pedals in

i change the oil evry 4k miles, thrash it to within an inch of its life pretty much evry time i drive it.......dont care about fuel consumption tbh..it needs it so it gets it lol........but it never lets me down really.....has jus started developin an intermittent starter fault.....but that should be cured wen i fit the bodies etc. ;)

I had mine about 2 years.

Break down wise, i think i only got let down totally about 5 times...once for gearbox, once for starter and 3 times for alterernator. Would have broken down LOTS more if it weren't for the thousands i pumped into it...and i means £k's :(

Great cars WHEN THEY'RE GOING but unless you've access to a garage that doesn't charge lots and/or has the expertise to get things done quickly then avoid these cars at all costs. I'll certainly never have another for precisely this reason.

DC2 Black Type Rx
Brought mine in Oct 2005 with 62K miles on the clock.

Never let me down yet, always starts.

Like most say, £35-40 to fill it up on 300ish miles.

Insurance is cheap, £330 FC protected, 6yrs NCD at 25.

Great fun and always put a smile on my face when you press that loud pedal!

Neil

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent
on the cars ive asked my mates, its looking like the valver looks pretty reliable,

megane coupe F7R
Id say they are reliable if well looked after, mine never went wrong for over a year. Then it all went wrong in 1 year lol

You have to bear in mind that these cars dont get driven normally but get thrashed within an inch of there life on a daily basis, or is that just mine :)

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent
well im a bit paranoid about reliability issues when it comes to older cars, im no mechanic but can get by just those bloody jap cars are too tempting(not a bread van though)