ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fast road suspension?

Hi,
Should hopefully be getting a 172 either today or at least very soon!

I've previously owned various saxo/106's and have also owned a Twingo 133 (sport) which I loved but was ultimately a bit slow. Thought the suspension on track was pretty perfect if im honest and was also very comfortable on the road.

I've just sold a wip 106 gti track car and getting rid of my 1.4 106 runabout in favour of something a bit nicer for the commute every few days to Honington which can also work on track.

Chances are because the sport model is a bit nicer than the cup im going to be tempted to leave all the interior and that in the car meaning I will have a bit of an overweight car (im sure its 100kg or so heavier than the cup) so its vital really I get some suspension that can help the car have an edge. To be honest its mainly going to be used on the road so comfort is a consideration. Trackdays? Maybe 3-4 a year possibly.

What I would like to know is do I really need for example gaz/spax etc adjustable suspension? Is corner weighting etc really going to make a difference? Can a car be corner weighted on non adjustable suspension like bilstein?

I've done a bit of research and bilstein b14 seems to be the weapon of choice on here for daily/track cars? Should I be looking at something else.

I've also looked at ARB's but noticed theresonly rear ones for sale? Surely I would need an uprated front one too? Whats the best amount of lowering for a clio? Im guessing I will probably not want to go low for fear of compromising driveshaft angles and steering etc. Does say a 20-30mm drop sound good?

Any info/help ideas would be appreciated!

You can corner weight any coilover shock as the platforms all adjust , the adjustment you refer to on the bilstein is to the damping .
coilover shocks come as

non adjustable
single adjustment of compression and rebound
2 way which is seperate compression and rebound
3 way which is high and low speed (not speed of the vehicle but shock movement)compression and rebound.

20 to 30mm is a sensible drop .

Thanks for the replies! I had Bilstein B8's on the old saxo are these similar in any way (apart from them being coilovers) the b8's were a little stiff imo for the road but then a saxo and clio are two very different cars.

Just waiting on the call....hopefully won't be a bag of s**t when I go to look at it.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Cooksports. no need to coilovers unless you want to be able to adjust the height imo, but tbh the cooksports sit just about perfect.

I was under the impression the bilsteins would come with uprated dampers too? Just springs is probably not going to be enough for me with the standard sport suspension. Saying that I havent even driven the car yet and I said the same thinf about the Twingo! Im sure I read somewhere though the standard Twingo sport suspension was stiffer than a 172 cups....

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I have the cooksports on stock dampers and I wouldn't want it any harder. it would make normal driving a nightmare! Where are you based? I'm sure someone around you has a set they can let you feel.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Depends on the track days. Airfield days if your a peasant like me and you'll be glad of the softer suspension. Nice smooth race tracks and you'll be missing a good set of coilovers. As for the weight I drive my cup two up. I weigh the same as Renaults claimed weight loss for the cup so it's effectively the same weight as a non cup and it still goes well enough.

Good tyres and some camber bolts to save those poor front tyre outer edges if you plan on really going for it would be worthwhile.

I'd say run the Clio standard but as you've run a 106 track car you'd probably find the road setup frustrating on the track.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I have b14's and find them spot on. My car is lowered maybe a touch too much (previous owner) but he had zero issues on track and it does handle well.

clio172026_zps15889725.gif