ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fault Code P0440 1.2 16v

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
It would seem no-one else on CS has had this code issue according to search! It relates to this car http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?670325-Latest-little-budget-side-project

It relates to the carbon canister I believe but I don't think its the actual issue, more a symptom of it.

Basically, I discovered a misfire above 5k! The canister was unplugged when I got the car but I simply plugged it back in. Cleared the code and the warning light went off. It drove up to its MOT fine and pulled like a 1.2 should. But on the way home I gave it a booting and the misfire developed but still drove fine at normal revs. I came home and cleared the code, the warning light went off and I gave it another good rev and it all happened again!

I'll probably start with the usual suspects like plugs, coil pack etc but just wondering if anyone else has had this issue. Never had a 1.2 16v before and never really paid much attention to their many issues, 1.4 8v is where its at if you want 75bhp in a Clio ;)

Cheers
John

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Just checked the service history and it had a new coil pack when the timing was done 4k ago and plugs 20k/3years ago. So guess leads is the starting point but may as well change the plugs.

The actual definition of P0440 is:

"Evaporative Emission Control System Malfunction"

So I think you are on the right track with looking at the carbon canister system.
If the canister was unplugged when you got the car and you have plugged it back in, did you check that the tube wasn't blocked up? Left open it would cause an air leak into the inlet manifold. If it is still blocked then the canister purge would not work properly, as the emissions cannot get through to the inlet manifold.
Just a thought!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Can't say I checked it no, I do plan to but I just thought the other symptoms wouldn't be caused by it. Very happy to be wrong though!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Changed the plugs today and it ran a little smoother straight away and the light went off with the code reader but can't say I expected to never see it again. Right enough it came back on within 5 minutes!

So dropped the carbon canister off and found that the solenoid wasnt sitting quite right in it. Whilst it was off I checked the solenoid was working by passing 12v through it and it clicked nicely so can rule that out. The plug was also getting the right voltage. Put it all back together and the light now only flashes on when you hit the limiter under load. It goes off again straight away and doesnt log a code at all.

So I'm thinking there might a lose connection somewhere along the line. The engine moves quite a bit under load so putting a dogbone on it anyway and will investigate the wiring when I'm letting the oil drain on its service. Taking it to work tomorrow regardless, more confidence in it now that I can get a tow eye in it properly!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Nope! First car I've given up on and sold broken I'm afraid. Could get it working but not consistently and it was worth too little to put into a garage.

..Jack..

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
Oh right thanks so is it best to start by checking around the ecu cover for damaged wires then

..Jack..

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
One worry! If I do this I assume I will have to re seal it to prevent water ingress do you recommend anything?

..Jack..

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
Whilst changing a headlamp bulb I saw what I presume to be the lid of the charcoal canister hanging loose! To get space to reseat it I guess I've gotta get the headlamp and bumper off

..Jack..

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
And it's back! The ecu had no wire cover and wires were in tact the lid thing is still on as with pipes and plugs! Give it a rev to 3000rpm and as revs fall it misses slightly any more ideas?