ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fault code

extreme flamer
I received my new code reader today, I plugged it in and it was giving me the fault code PO638 - Throttle actuator control range/performance bank 1

I realise theres already a thread on this exact fault code but it doesn't really give much information that I can understand as I'm an electrician not a mechanic.

Could someone give me some tips of where I can start to track down the problem please? I was thinking clean the throttle body with carb cleaner and check the connections aren't corroded but after that I'm out of ideas. It seems to have an electronic fault of some sort as well (the electronic fault light sometimes lights up) don't know if this is related but it could be?

Also, how do I know if I've solved it? will the engine management light just disappear?

extreme flamer
Anyone got any tips of what I should look for?
Going out to try cleaning the throttle body and check the connections are tight/aren't corroded, after I've done this do I just reset the fault through my code reader then wait and see if the engine management light appears again? Or should the light just disappear if I've fixed the fault?
I'm going to have a look at it just now after I've changed my headlamps to nightbreakers so any advice is appreciated!

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
EOBD codeFault locationProbable cause
P0638Throttle actuator control (TAC), bank 1 - range/performance problemBasic setting not carried out (if applicable), ISC actuator/throttle motor, APP sensor

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I'd take a guesstimate and say sensors in the throttle body... Beyond that I'm out. Sorry mate.

extreme flamer
I think it will need to wait tll I've got enough cash to put it in a garage then, not sure I'm comfortable taking the throttle body apart (I'm guessing thats where the sensor, etc. is?)
At least I won't get charged £30 for a computer to be plugged in ths time!
Cheers for that

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I think it will need to wait tll I've got enough cash to put it in a garage then, not sure I'm comfortable taking the throttle body apart (I'm guessing thats where the sensor, etc. is?)
At least I won't get charged £30 for a computer to be plugged in ths time!
Cheers for that

Yes mate, I imagine so. Sorry I am not all that familiar with these engines.