ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Feel isn’t everything!!

I think the penny has finally dropped! Some people may be aware that Ive never been overly happy with my 172s performance since I got it last November. Coming from a turbocharged car, the 172 has always felt quite dull in a straight line hard acceleration. Yes, the car itself and the handling and brakes kept me happy but it was just that out and out performance.

However, my opinion has recently changed.

I have a stretch of road near me that Ive used for years to benchmark test cars on. It isnt the be all and end all of testing but when you know a bit of road so well, it becomes easy to compare cars by what speed they attain. It involves coming off a sweeping bend, up a dual carriageway hill and then braking hard for the roundabout at the top.

The other day, I asked my mate to try it to compare to my 172. He has a Rover 220 Turbo Coupe which I have always considered to be much faster than my car - they have a manufacturers 0-60 of 6.2 so it would be reasonable to expect that they are.

Bear in mind Ive tested this road a lot of times and probably have it perfected and he did it once (although he is from this area and familiar with the road). There is no need to post the speeds attained as they will be out of context because no-one knows the road. He carried good speed through the corner and braked quite late and he only got 10mph LESS than my best in the 172. Obviously part of this test is cornering speed and where you start braking and the 172 will be better, but that is life - not every race is in a straight line - you do need to corner and brake!

Before anyone says anything, I am NOT saying a 172 can beat a 200bhp Rover 220 Turbo Coupe. I still believe it is the quicker car. However Ive realised that the 172 isnt slow at all and in THIS instance, I would have actually pulled from him had we been racing. Im sure in different situations - flooring it in second maybe - he would have pulled away from me because of his turbo.

To point to the title of the thread - Ive realised that all turbos do is give you an added sensation of good performance and that they arent necessarily as quick as they feel - dont get me wrong, they do give good performance, but they can make it feel so much quicker than a N/A car when it actually isnt. Doesnt stop me wanting one again for my next car, but the little 172 has me smiling for now :D

Glad to hear youre enjoying it more. Much as like like and rate the Williams, Id really like another 172. Just been in mailto:M@thew s">M@thew s 172 (blue, just like my old one) and Ive decided I really want another one.

It might be interesting to try a rolling start from 40mph in 2nd gear side by side against your mate. One of you counts down and then boot it at the same time. Eliminates driver differences that you get from standing starts.

Sounds like a good idea - although his second gear is very long (just over 70mph) and pulls like a train, so I think I wouldnt fare as well in that instance, although I might surprise myself!

The 172 blue is very nice - I was only considering blue or black, but when the black was the only one in stock, it made my mind up for me!

The blue is lovely. Its almost identical to the Williams 3 colour which I also really like. Id forgotten how nice the climate control and leather seats are. Want another one!

Give your mate a go 40mph+.....as you said, you might just be suprised! (Or he might murder you!)

Rhys

Clio 1.6 16V

Hi Mike, I know exactly where your coming from mate. Ive moved on from an Audi Quattro S2 that was chipped to 280 bhp. It was good for between 5 & 6 second dashes really pushing you back into your seat. the 172 doesnt have the mid-range turbo grunt of the S2 in a straight line but could p*ss all over it when it came to the twisties evenwith 4wd. I had the 172 for about 4 months before selling the S2 so had a bit of time to compare both. Was sad to see the S2 go .... but the 172 always give me the biggest smile ...... a real drivers car!:D