ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Few questions about new light bulbs

Sorry to make yet another thread about lights but i've searched and i just seem to be getting more confused.

I plan on getting some new light bulbs for my car (1.2 expression) because my lights seem to glow a horrible yellowy orange colour and i'd rather have a clearer white colour or maybe a little blue tint.

Anyway the problem comes with me not knowing which size or brand of bulb to get for my main and dipped beams. So far I have found that Osram silverstar or philips xtreme visions are the bulbs of choice? And powerbulbs said that i need H7 for dipped and H1 for main, is this correct for a mk2 ph2 1.2 clio expression? Also which bulbs would you suggest for clear indicators because my amber bulbs make the whole light housing look horrible and orange during the day.

Any advice or suggestions on which bulbs to get for my clio and where to get them would be appreciated, thanks.

Ok mate, this might be a stupid question but these are all road legal and i'll pass my MOT with them right?

and are these better than osrams or philips? cheers

clio 172 ph2
yes thet r legal lol. they r just as good for half the price. you r allowed up to 6000k colour bulbs and these are 5000k. the higher the number the bluer the colour if you know what i mean lol. they will be just what your looking for... nice and crisp icy white!

haha yeah cheers mate

this might be another stupid question haha but I don't have xenon lights in my clio as its basically poverty spec but these bulbs will still work? and I don't need to have light washers like you do with real xenons do you?

sorry for all the questions but this being my first car im just worried about failing MOTs etc.

clio 172 ph2
you need to make sure you get the right fitment but im sure this is the one for clios for indicator bulbs think its called the 581

offsetpins.jpg

clio 172 ph2
haha yeah cheers mate

this might be another stupid question haha but I don't have xenon lights in my clio as its basically poverty spec but these bulbs will still work? and I don't need to have light washers like you do with real xenons do you?

sorry for all the questions but this being my first car im just worried about failing MOTs etc.

yes these are just normal direct replacements. al see if i can find a pic for you

oooo thats pretty decent, i would splash out for a HID kit but It wouldn't really be worth it on a car i'm only planning on keeping for a year, are they yellow fogs or just standard?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Osram nightbreakers will do. Super bright and road legal.

HIDs are trash and I'm pretty sure illegal if you've not got the right lens/reflector things in your lights anyway.

yellow fog lenses, they look alot better than the camera shows
they look pretty decent mate, I was thinking about installing fogs in my clio but it would be too much hassle to wire them into a new indicator stalk etc. and i didnt want to just have some random switch on my dash for them so I'll just live without lol.

And I was looking at Osram nightbreakers too but theyre a bit pricey, But These seem to be more suited to my price range and should be okay, if they break or aren't as good as they should be i can always get nightbreakers i guess

Polo + Micra
they look pretty decent mate, I was thinking about installing fogs in my clio but it would be too much hassle to wire them into a new indicator stalk etc. and i didnt want to just have some random switch on my dash for them so I'll just live without lol.

And I was looking at Osram nightbreakers too but theyre a bit pricey, But These seem to be more suited to my price range and should be okay, if they break or aren't as good as they should be i can always get nightbreakers i guess

they are cheap because they are cheap.

the osrams are not even double the price but will last twice as long and be twice as good

loool yeah i would rather spend an extra fiver for 'em. Any advice on indicators?

Also the night breakers are my dipped beams but what about main beam? (sorry not exactly a genius with lights lol)

Last edited:

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
If the indicators work, leave them be.

I upgraded my tail lights to the 'quick reaction' brighter Halfords ones. Reacted almost as fast as the LED.. was quite impressed.

Other than that, take the sidelights out and pop them in the glovebox in case of headlamp fail.

No point touching the fogs as you'll probably never use them.

Take the sidelights out? wha?

and yeah but i hate the orangeness i get when the indicators arent being used and yeah fogs are kinda pointless, just would have been kinda cool lol

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
You can swap the orange lamps for 'silvervision' bulbs. Halfords or t'internet.

Sidelights - lose the lamps (bulbs grow in the ground ;) ) .. looks much better IMO.

So
indicators - Philips Silvervisions
dipped beams - Osram night breakers

but what about main beam?

and lose the lamps? as in take them out? i am soo confused right now lool sorry man

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Indicators - Yes.

(All mk2 Clios are separate main/dipped IIRC ?) Dipped beam - Nightbreakers. Main beam - Nightbreakers.

Sidelight 501 bulb/lamp/things - take them out and put them in the glovebox (for MOT/headlamp fail time). If you don't like the look, put them back in. It's a 10 second job.

oooooh right i get you, I was thinking wouldn't it fail its MOT for no side lights but yeah i see what you mean. I think i'll leave them in though, seeing as i passed my test last week and I only had the car like 3 days so far I need all the help i can get in the way of vision on the roads haha. And yeah so I have to get H7 and H1 night breakers sweet :)

Thanks for the advice guys, i think it would be worth paying the extra for the Osrams and silvervisions.