ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fibre broadband recommendations?

Fibre has just been activated in my area so I can go from 3mb a second to 30mb - about time! Unfortunately my current provider (BE) won't offer it until the middle of next year so I am looking to leave. Been very happy with their service but I need faster speeds NAO!

However, I am having trouble finding an ISP that does fibre + static IP address, does anyone know of any?

BT have been fine here tbh, we're on 60Mbit down and 20Mbit up and couldn't ask for any better service, it's been down once in 9 months :) We were previously on 3Mbit as well so it's extremely nice. (We were on 40Mbit to start with and it's gone up to 60Mbit with "Infinity 2").

Not sure about the static IP though

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
You can only use Virgin Media Or BT from what I know.

I use Virgin Media. Service seems great. Never drops below 30mb and soon will double for free to 60mb. However don't use their super hub. Its total s**t and drops internet ALL the time.

BT are more money for less of a service. However since you're only used to 3mb which is basically dial up lol. Either should be fine. Go with the cheapest at the time. Be careful of Virgin as they like to sign customers up to an 18 month contract without actually telling them.

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
You can only use Virgin Media Or BT from what I know.

I use Virgin Media. Service seems great. Never drops below 30mb and soon will double for free to 60mb. However don't use their super hub. Its total s**t and drops internet ALL the time.

BT are more money for less of a service. However since you're only used to 3mb which is basically dial up lol. Either should be fine. Go with the cheapest at the time. Be careful of Virgin as they like to sign customers up to an 18 month contract without actually telling them.

When you say don't use the superhub, do you mean as a router and just set it as modem only?

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Cheers, got a spare router in the loft will give it a try as my connection currently goes from great to s**t throughout the night.

BT Infinity is great, not had a single problem with it and regularly use 300GB+ per month. Speeds on the checker are usually very conservative (initially told 25MB got 37.5 and now on the 80MB service I get 70MB after checker said 50MB). Overall the service is great and the router does actually provide a decent wifi coverage with my only complaint that it isn't particularly fast over wifi a lot of the time. Static is only available on BT Business IIRC.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Been on infinity for a couple of years now, still on original infinity and getting 37 down 8 up.

Been a great service.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
However don't use their super hub. Its total s**t and drops internet ALL the time

I have there 120mb service and have no problems at all with the superhub. The only problem I have is hard drive space! lol

Clio 182
I'm on BT infinity 1 and it's awesome. Rarely drops unless they're doing work on the lines and good wifi coverage.

My GF has Virgin Media fibre optic broadband which is fine if you're right next to the hub but if you're upstairs in her room the wifi connection is awful, literally have to sit on the end of the bed to get any sort of connection and don't even both trying to go onto YouTube because the connection isn't strong enough.

BMW F21 125d
Sky now sell FTTC (Fibre to the cabinet), it runs over BT's Openreach network but they use their own DSLAM in the local exchange. £20 a month, up to 40Mb and no traffic shaping or fair usage policy, only 2Mb upload so does depend on your needs. I've been on it for a couple of months and my router shows 39.9Mbps and it's consistently 36Mb on wireless to my iPad, anytime of day or night.

Fibre has just been activated in my area so I can go from 3mb a second to 30mb - about time! Unfortunately my current provider (BE) won't offer it until the middle of next year so I am looking to leave. Been very happy with their service but I need faster speeds NAO!

However, I am having trouble finding an ISP that does fibre + static IP address, does anyone know of any?

Try Hyperoptic, I'm getting 100mbps - only thing is they are in London at the moment, worth registering online www.hyperoptic.com

HTH

I have called up BE and asked for my MAC code. They are trying to get me stay for £9 a month until they get Fibre in (sometime next year) - got some thinking to do!

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I'd stay. I was faced with the same choice when I moved house last month. Can get Infinity 2 now, or wait for Be to sort their fibre next year. Be's tech support is ridiculously good, so I'm staying for the timebeing.