ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fiesta RS Track Car

R14 CUP
So at the back end of last year I decided to take the Clio 172 off track day duties, I sold some of the track focus parts on, had the paintwork sorted, bought a set of Turini’s.

I still had an itch I needed to scratch, trackday. So the hunt was on for a new track day car, I had seen a few things I had liked including a 106 XSI on ITB’s, I kept looking at Elise’s but they was a bit out of budget.

Then this came up for sale, Ford Fiesta Zetec S with a Focus RS Engine. I was intrigued, so I went to view it with my eyes wide open.

4b52e2c6f0f1564b7291b8f3bb478e4d.jpg

d4d36b0200fbfaa82161a190697ccd4e.jpg

ad7d33234ffc8452a8e28298932397c5.jpg

The car needed some work, but I was happy enough with the car in it’s current state. So handed over some cash and it was mine.

Basic spec of the car;

2000 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
Focus RS 2.0 Turbo
Approx 300bhp

Plans for the car, included sorting out the sketchy interior, wasn’t happy with any of it really. Seats, Harnesses, cage, steering wheel.
Brakes, very noisey all the time. Rust, rear arches showing signs of rust and a little bit on the boot lid.

R14 CUP
First things first, collected the car.

God it’s a riot, it’s completely unusable on the road but it’s a proper riot. Suspension is stiff, MPG is atrocious, and it makes some hilarious noises on overrun. Pops and Bangs, that a ktec map would be proud off.

It was raining on my way home, and it was spinning up in 5th when on boost. I hadn’t really previously experienced anything like it before, the Quaife ATB RS diff trying to keep things in check.

Overall though, over the moon with my purchase.

Quickly I wanted the brakes changing they had Mintex M1155 pads in there, on AP four pot calipers and 305mm brake discs, I spoke to George @ RTR and ordered a set of DS1.11’s. I was happy with the rest of the braking system.

6282c723ef311d03a1a59577a906e02f.jpg

8219d09c6cf58520d75582cc22156092.jpg

On to the first track day, at Bedford in February, a few weeks after buying the car.

Started the day, with no boost, the pin that held the Forge actuator on, had fell off, so used some lockwire and secured the actuator back on, car was still pulling about 1.6bar of boost, so all good.

Car performed well on the GT circuit, a 6/7 lap session was using about a 1/4 of a tank of fuel, I don’t what to work out the MPG. [emoji23]

The car was also suffering with fuel starvation on left hand bends with under 3/4’s of a tank of fuel. No massive drama at this point, just had to keep the tank full.

All in all, a really good day, worked out some areas that needed improvement and the car drove and handled the power really well. The chassis didn’t feel like it couldn’t cope with 3 times the power it left the factory with.

a3dd6472226ef9944f251bc9182f4a9a.jpg

1a67b8ff70ef11d690c93e5a4ae7aee7.jpg

0873a7e76c738ed76a4f023665e3e723.jpg

245cc62ea24ca9be6fc1d1ea60634c42.jpg

b17bbe879deb0369c7fbc2f6a2ad1dbc.jpg

Love this, what an awesome track day car - can't even imagine what a 300bhp Focus RS engine must feel like in it!!

I was on the same page a couple of years ago, I wanted something for track, that wasn't needed for the road - so bought an 02 plate Fiesta Zetec-S, same colour, but with the Puma engine conversion done. Great fun! But only cost £750 so you can imagine the condition, rear arches were gone, tbh car was a banger in my eyes and sold it after a couple of fun, but troublesome track days at Snetterton. But with the brand new AP Racing coilovers etc etc I had fitted, it handled brilliantly!! I stand by my comment - what on earth must 300bhp be like!

R14 CUP
Love this, what an awesome track day car - can't even imagine what a 300bhp Focus RS engine must feel like in it!!

I was on the same page a couple of years ago, I wanted something for track, that wasn't needed for the road - so bought an 02 plate Fiesta Zetec-S, same colour, but with the Puma engine conversion done. Great fun! But only cost £750 so you can imagine the condition, rear arches were gone, tbh car was a banger in my eyes and sold it after a couple of fun, but troublesome track days at Snetterton. But with the brand new AP Racing coilovers etc etc I had fitted, it handled brilliantly!! I stand by my comment - what on earth must 300bhp be like!

It feels quick - but I don’t think it feels overpowered for the chassis. I’ve not had it on a rolling road, but the estimation of 300 from the previous owner, is probably on the high side. I think it’s nearer 270ish.

Even still, it’s a bloody quick little car!

It feels quick - but I don’t think it feels overpowered for the chassis. I’ve not had it on a rolling road, but the estimation of 300 from the previous owner, is probably on the high side. I think it’s nearer 270ish.

Even still, it’s a bloody quick little car!

Yeah I can imagine, i mean even anything over 200bhp would be rapid as they don't seem to weigh that much I didn't think? Agreed with the chassis, seemed quite capable but I wouldn't even dream of comparing a Puma engine to a Focus RS engine. I still remember the Zetec-S being a brand new model from Ford and it still boggles my mind to this day that they only had 105 'PS' from the factory LOL!

My car still had the standard poverty spec seats in so imagine that going flat out round a bend!!

R14 CUP
Yeah I can imagine, i mean even anything over 200bhp would be rapid as they don't seem to weigh that much I didn't think? Agreed with the chassis, seemed quite capable but I wouldn't even dream of comparing a Puma engine to a Focus RS engine. I still remember the Zetec-S being a brand new model from Ford and it still boggles my mind to this day that they only had 105 'PS' from the factory LOL!

My car still had the standard poverty spec seats in so imagine that going flat out round a bend!!

Yeah, the weight around 1000kg’s I think, this has obviously had a lot of weight removed from the inside of the car, but that’s only offset the weight of the engine and heavy MTX75 box.

I had it weighed at 1025kg’s with a tank of fuel.

Yeah, I had a standard ZS as my first car; loved the thing. Arguably half the reason I bought this!

220a895aa68bbf517e34cec5ba30779c.jpg

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Love this, I had 2 mk5 ZS's myself back in the day and loved them tbh, I had a FRP lump put in one of them and that was good fun so god knows how well one with a FRS lump goes! :)

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
Word of advice. Dont get the shell acid dipped. You will get back half the car lol
Sounds like a potentially mental car with limited effort. Whats the traction like on track? Does it use the Focus gearbox?

R14 CUP
Word of advice. Dont get the shell acid dipped. You will get back half the car lol
Sounds like a potentially mental car with limited effort. Whats the traction like on track? Does it use the Focus gearbox?

Won’t be doing that in a hurry. They left the factory with a load of corrosion iirc!

Yeah, uses FRS MTX75 with LSD.

R14 CUP
So bit of an update from when I decided to strip the interior.

I wasn’t at all happy with the interior on the car, the recaro’s seats were not ideal - they weren’t particularly safe. The rollcage was a show cage and again really not up the standard I wanted. The less said about the harnesses - the better.

ffb84f258ed1d2fa83d63eb59e2ff9e8.jpg

f3fa1f6c2b13eff05bc588239ae21247.jpg

095c991b7b2948dc6c2b7a99b7541233.jpg

The plan was simple, strip everything back to bare bones, paint the interior grey, get some bucket seats, a proper welded in cage, some proper harnesses. I wanted the car to be functional, clean and most importantly safe.

So everything was coming out, and carpets were lifted. What was underneath was rust, some more rust and holes.

87e14454b19ce76491d886fe64879e55.jpg

1ea6bb77e020e0a1bd21864451de03e5.jpg

143778659423555b01d84ef63524021a.jpg

36611fa77612c3c13c1796e0d52e3cfa.jpg

The worst of it too.

056e6da82b4eca9771c9c7173649f662.jpg

I was gutted when I found this lurking under the carpet. The ground underneath visible in places, same as anything is repairable so onwards we must go!

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Bad news man. Its a shame Ford never got their act together with these as they were a very capable car.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Wow! How can you not love a fettled mkv Zetec S! What suspension is it running Jamie? Sorry if I missed it.

I imagine it's a proper riot, would look nice if the exterior was more normal but that's a personal thing, I always liked a standard look with the side mouldings etc!

Look forwrd to more track reports!

R14 CUP
Wow! How can you not love a fettled mkv Zetec S! What suspension is it running Jamie? Sorry if I missed it.

I imagine it's a proper riot, would look nice if the exterior was more normal but that's a personal thing, I always liked a standard look with the side mouldings etc!

Look forwrd to more track reports!

It’s running Gaz Golds.

It originally had dark lights in it, it’s now running tango lamps, so looks much improved. I’d love to run standard wheels, but the brakes won’t fit under there.

I did try a set of OZ Superleggera’s, but they didn’t offer enough clearance and the brakes caught on the wheel weights!

It’s possibly going to be a short term build thread - there is possibility I may end up selling it in the near future.

Let’s say, RS Tax is real.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
It is indeed! Loads of folk transformed mk1 frs' into track cars... that's a fast way to burn money!!!

R14 CUP
It is indeed! Loads of folk transformed mk1 frs' into track cars... that's a fast way to burn money!!!

Yeah, I’ve spent about £5k on this thing in 5 months [emoji23]

Realistically, I’ve got that to spend again.

Ouch! Sorry to see that, but knowing what my ZS was like, it doesn't surprise me sadly!

Oh and RS Tax? After many years with RS Turbos and the like, it very much IS real I know all too well!!

R14 CUP
Ouch! Sorry to see that, but knowing what my ZS was like, it doesn't surprise me sadly!

Oh and RS Tax? After many years with RS Turbos and the like, it very much IS real I know all too well!!

All is well now thankfully. Was all patched up when cage was fitted.

I’ll update with progress on when that was done.