ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fifth Gear last night - 182 Trophy V's MCS Gen 2, V's Skoda Fabia VRS - £5000 hot hatch bargains.

I'd love to know where she thinks she can get one for £5k, it must be a dog!

Reg, SX05 EGE, car number 028 and it had a CS sticker in the rear window.

On test with a Cooper S Gen II (I think the ones that go wrong, but she didn't mention that) and a Skoda Fabia VRS.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I assume they used a 2010-> Fabia vRS with the turbo engine? Not the Mk1 with a 130bhp Diesel lump

Why didn't they use the 197 if they used Mk2 Fabias and Minis, all cars would be from the same era that way?

How on earth do you wind up with a test featuring a 15 year old appreciating classic which is worth waaay more than it's real world capability, and two more modern, generic used hatches?

A £5000 hot hatch bargain is a megane turbo or a clio 200 or a focus ST, not a 182 selling for twice as much as normal because its red.

I assume they used a 2010-> Fabia vRS with the turbo engine? Not the Mk1 with a 130bhp Diesel lump

Why didn't they use the 197 if they used Mk2 Fabias and Minis, all cars would be from the same era that way?
Yep they did - she said not to buy one if if had a certain engine code... which the one she was driving had ?

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
How on earth do you wind up with a test featuring a 15 year old appreciating classic which is worth waaay more than it's real world capability, and two more modern, generic used hatches?

A £5000 hot hatch bargain is a megane turbo or a clio 200 or a focus ST, not a 182 selling for twice as much as normal because its red.
you've got to remember these feature are just to fill TV time. Plus what cars they end up with depends on what cars and owners the production team can arrange to attend that day.

Being 100% accurate isn't top priory.

you've got to remember these feature are just to fill TV time. Plus what cars they end up with depends on what cars and owners the production team can arrange to attend that day.

Being 100% accurate isn't top priory.

I'm not suggesting 100% accuracy, but at least test cars that are in the same class.

Listerine & Poledo

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
That's...

That's pretty much how these things have been since the dawn of car shows on TV. If it had James May doing the exact same piece, CS would be cranking chords of liquid silk all over their TVs for days

It just didn't seem like it had any direction to it or decision making process. To be fair I don't normally mind Fifth Gear.

Dannyeff

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 trophy
I'm a previous owner of this car, the cars on 127k and sold this onto ash jones. it was recently on ebay and purchased again.

was a really good car. loved it but got to a stage it was in a garage every month hence why i let it go. got this from someone on the forum also :)

RS Clio 182
This story by Harry Metcalfe in this you how special the Clio Trophy is,keeping up with the Ferrari's and Lambo's on the twisties! Think you can hold of a decent one for around £8K - id be definatly tempted in the future.

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
This was a bargain trophy!!!

image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png

Clio Trophy + GT3
This story by Harry Metcalfe in this you how special the Clio Trophy is,keeping up with the Ferrari's and Lambo's on the twisties! Think you can hold of a decent one for around £8K - id be definatly tempted in the future.

The Harry Metcalf video is great. I sometimes show it to people who ask why I got my Trophy.

As for the Fifth Gear piece. It was hardly an in depth review and if you wanted an everyday driver then something newer / less rare would clearly make a lot more sense.

Land Rover
I would say the standard 182 is a bargain right now, if you can get a good one that is.

With springs, shocks, geometry and other things done including rolling road tuning it matches the Trophy in real world driving.

But depends on what you want to do with it, drive it or park it in a dehumidified garage for ten years.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
With springs, shocks, geometry and other things done including rolling road tuning it matches the Trophy in real world driving.

Well you'd hope so considering the Trophy is just a Cup with fancy suspension and some red paint.

Land Rover
So why is mine not selling at £4,000!!!!
It’s as good as you’d get with nothing needed whatsoever

RS Clio 182
Well you'd hope so considering the Trophy is just a Cup with fancy suspension and some red paint.

Having said that,id still rather go for a Trophy than a normal 182. Just cos its a little bit more special and rare - like getting an R26 over a 225.

(plus i had a 182 for 9 years hehe)

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Having said that,id still rather go for a Trophy than a normal 182. Just cos its a little bit more special and rare - like getting an R26 over a 225.

Yea all things being equal anyone would go for a Trophy, but with prices 6 grand and up I wouldn't fancy putting that money down on one.
There's one on eBay at the mo tho, bidding is only at a grand.

Land Rover
Yeah only selling because one of my customers is selling a concourse 27,000 mile Japanese import Alfa 145 2.0

I had two of these from new and also a 1.6 back in 1996-2000

They were a great car when running right and this one looks pretty much perfect.

Land Rover
Yeah 4k is proper strong money to be fair.

*£4,000 or best offer

It is, but most that are £2/3,000 need £1,000+ spending
I looked at eight and did a fair bit of travelling to various sellers/dealers
Mine’s had everything done and the bodywork is perfect also the interior is pristine
Depends what you want, even the underside is pristine on this one, l had it cleaned of surface rust and wax sprayed as l was going to show it.
Anybody who actually came to view the car would most likely write a cheque there and then once they saw it.

Last edited:
  Clio Trophy

It's as much about feel too. I don't doubt there wouldn't be much in it in terms of pace across ground but when I got my Sachs dampers back from a refurb. there was a clear difference between them and the Cup ones I had on.

There may be some bias in it as I'd want to feel the difference but I was swaying with selling the car at the time until that point.

Listerine & Poledo
Yeah only selling because one of my customers is selling a concourse 27,000 mile Japanese import Alfa 145 2.0.

"is selling"

is different from

"has sold"

One refers to a car sat waiting for a buyer, the other refers to a space on your forecourt and money in the till. Hell, you could put a Trophy up for £10k, point to that and say "hey, guys, look, Trophy is worth £10k". It's not, it's just the asking price.....ask it, sure, just don't expect it.

Also, as anyone who's done Mazda at any point will attest, if you write "import" or "JDM" on any advert, it immediately adds a 15-90% mark-up to the invoice.

Extra taxes apply if you also add RARErareRARErareRAREnotNISMOnotTRD and such.

As for would I prefer a 182 over a pink 182 with different suspension...... well, given the limited range of colours, I'd say I'd go with a "full fat" 182 and the rest of the "trophy budget" poured into fresh, damping-adjustable coils and some seats.

Last edited:
  Land Rover
Sorry l meant l want to buy the Alfa, which is why l put the 182 up for sale.

But if the Alfa sells l may take the 182 off sale.

997.1, Caddy, e208
You were thinking of selling the 182 a couple of months ago?

I had £4k and had the choice to buy yours or Gorms' Lupo GTI. I opted for the Lupo for a couple of reasons.

1) she loves the Lupo and I don't think I'd find another example like it
2) the history on the Lupo is quite traceable

D11 CUP looks like a very nice, well maintained car, but a couple of sellers are spinning it very fast, spending money they won't recover and still shifting it on rather than absorbing that cost over time.
Like it or not this paints a bleak picture.

I sold my old RB 182 for £750 which I know was cheap. I could've made it special with £3,250 more, but I wanted rid of it as it was sat in the garage doing f**k all.

Land Rover
Yeah the last owner did the suspension, tyres and engine tune. The one before that did the interior
It was my job to do the mechanical work. There’s nothing bleak about the car now, it’s all done.
Many are cheaper but need catch up maintenance. I never keep cars long, six months is par for the course for me, l buy them get them right then look for something else.
I had a Lupo from new, it was alright but nothing like the Clio. You had to rev the thing to the sky before it would move!
I didn’t like it. But they are coming back into fashion now and are probably better made than the Clio.
You should have at least viewed my Clio before dismissing it!! At least then you’d have known.
I looked at eight 182’s well seven and a 172
They all needed £1,000+ spending, as did this one.
But the bodywork and interior are pretty much perfect on it which is what attracted me, and no rust underneath either.
Although l still had some small dents removed and had the underside cleaned and wax protection done.
Some are pretty bad, rear sub frames really rusted, and also it is the only one l found with serviceable aircon.

Last edited:
  PH2 172
There`s
Yeah the last owner did the suspension, tyres and engine tune. The one before that did the interior
It was my job to do the mechanical work. There’s nothing bleak about the car now, it’s all done.
Many are cheaper but need catch up maintenance. I never keep cars long, six months is par for the course for me, l buy them get them right then look for something else.
I had a Lupo from new, it was alright but nothing like the Clio. You had to rev the thing to the sky before it would move!
I didn’t like it. But they are coming back into fashion now and are probably better made than the Clio.
You should have at least viewed my Clio before dismissing it!! At least then you’d have known.
I looked at eight 182’s well seven and a 172
They all needed £1,000+ spending, as did this one.
But the bodywork and interior are pretty much perfect on it which is what attracted me, and no rust underneath either.
Although l still had some small dents removed and had the underside cleaned and wax protection done.
Some are pretty bad, rear sub frames really rusted, and also it is the only one l found with serviceable aircon.

There` s no such thing as a cheap 172/182 any longer.

Time was when you pick them up for peanuts with a little bit of life left in them.

There are too many on this forum driving their still depreciating BMW`s, Merc`s etc that sold them for the same, and are now regretting it.

They ( collectively ) seem to think that £4k is too much for a good one,

Please don't sell yours for a rot box alfa, that will spin it`s shells at the 1st opportunity.