ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fifth Gear reminder

Lol I have been waiting ALL day for that!!! Would have been even closer if he had not f**ked up on that last corner.

Clio 1.6 16v 2003

they used the full version not the cup for a start.

and who the f**k has paid 14.5 k u can get them for 12k new making it 2 10th of a second for 4k

rubbish programme.

sod it, entered the competiton, could do with flogging a new CTR and pocketing the cash!

£6k will go on the KTEC Turbo conversion! so i can destroy all CTRs!!!

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5

funny how he doesnt talk about the part i hate about honda v-tec engines, the power delivery..

he f**ked up the last corner, and they only done 1 lap, do 10 in each and take the best then its fair, any1 can knack 1 lap! and it was on about 30 seconds, how crap, review my ass!

172 Exclusive

Well that was rubbish, i say give the same cars to the Stig and then see what happens. How can that be a fair test when Tiff was skidding around half the corners ???

The guy was more interested in power slides than giving both cars a proper test. And a saving of 2k for 0.2secs, think what you could do with that extra 2k to make the clio faster.

Same driver, same track, same day?

Who cares which car won. Theyre both good cars for different reasons.

Strange how the CTR was 2 or 3 tenths slower round Angelsey that the FRS last time round...

the ctr has great handling and he can feel the improvements they made. i had a 54 plate ctr and its unpredictable oversteer and no feelin steerin makes it very hard to drive well. clio has a lot more feel. need big balls to throw the ctr about. i used to have the ass kickin out all the time

Yaris Hybrid

I dont think that slide in the Clio at the end was his timed lap. You have to understand that its cut for entertainment so that was probably him messing around before the timed laps.

I would expect the CTR to be two tenths quicker around the track so thats fair enough, however my CTR owning mate and just about everyone else prefers the steering on the Clio as it is undoubtably sharper so that part of the review was questionable.

172 cup TT

if you were either reno or honda and giving a car away wouldnt you want YOUR car to win.. its hardly an arguable case for .2 secs. They could make any car win surely to sort out the back hander of the free car AND all the money 5th gear make on the competition phone calls.. kinda a win win win situation...

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5

sod driving ability, or lack of!

id rather be watching Jezza any day of the week! he makes me laugh too :)

DC5

Quote: Originally posted by 5tupot on 09 May 2005

i missed it :(
well u didnt miss much.

You could tell before hed even finished his 1st sentance what car he was goin to say was the winner

Quote: Originally posted by D4ve F on 09 May 2005
was an r reg type r wernt it?

1997 - dont think they were around then mate

Renaultsport 220T

I think the fact that Honda had given the show a car to give away, may have influenced their opinion.

DC5

Quote: Originally posted by 182WRC on 09 May 2005

I think the fact that Honda had given the show a car to give away, may have influenced their opinion.
i dont think tiff needed any convincing. he admitted hed always liked the ctr. His mind was already made up before he even got behind the wheel of the clio

Quote: Originally posted by Andy_M on 09 May 2005

Well that was rubbish, i say give the same cars to the Stig and then see what happens. How can that be a fair test when Tiff was skidding around half the corners ???

The guy was more interested in power slides than giving both cars a proper test. And a saving of 2k for 0.2secs, think what you could do with that extra 2k to make the clio faster.
The Clio did a 1.33 on the Topgear track and the Type R was 1.35

TDI tyre shreader

Well just look what they did to the civic at the end, bet my 172 goes better than that one :p

dk

911 GTS Cab

the clio lap was partly damp too towards the end.

cant believe he said the steering was the best on any hot hatch ever!

5th gear really is shocking.

R

rich[182]

Waited all week for that, what a load of bollox, no mentions of the fact youll be hard pressed to get a CTR for much less than RRP although youll pickup a new 182 for £12.5k or less, No 0-60, 0-100, 30-70 side by side comparison, no standing 1/4 mile comparison, cant believe a CTR is more "nimble" in any scenario, the guy totally f****d up the last corner, all car shows on tv are utter crap when it comes to road tests, they havent got a clue, Perfect opportunity to do a controlled like for like test and its based on what I saw was 1 lap in a scenario that does not represent real world driving from someone who couldnt even keep the car on the friggin circuit
what a joke LOL

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by Paul_G on 09 May 2005
Blinking internet...I meant to say Private Plate - R200 BYE

yeah, that plate is always used for their ctr press car.

Astra VXR 17/05/07

To be fair,we all know how pretty much evenly matched both cars are when it comes to tests,as has been discussed many times on here and elsewhere there is only ever a knatts knacker between the 2 so at some point the Ctr would come out tops in a test...only by the knatts knacker i mentioned.

It hardly opened a can of whoop ass over the Clio,the same could of been said had the Clio of won.

Nothing we didnt already know learnt from it as far as the cars go.

Ive learnt that Tiff is a huge Ctr fan though !

how can they say they were hot laps!!!!!!! they had the back out and everything...... not exactly a good smooth drive was it... load of sh*t

I cant believe I waited ages for that also! 5th Gear is a waste of bloody time! They spent 10 mins reviewing the bloody new Jeep! Why?

Agreed with all the above comments! Never watching 5th gear again! W@nkers!!!!

Even if the 182 had won, it was still a sh*t review none the less!

Bring on the new series of Top Gear!! 22nd May cant come soon enough!

GRRRRR

Also I would love to see Jezza punch Tiffanys lights out!! :D

Quote: Originally posted by Sport182 on 09 May 2005
Quote: Originally posted by Andy_M on 09 May 2005[/QUOTE]The Clio did a 1.33 on the Topgear track and the Type R was 1.35

the 04 civic type r did the powerlap in 1.32.8,here is the list from focus rs down.
Ford Focus RS............................................1.32.2
Lotus Esprit V8..........................................1.32.5
Audi TT V6 3.2...........................................1.32.7
Honda Civic Type R (04)............................1.32.8
Seat Leon Cupra R 225..............................1.32.9
Noble M12 GTO..........................................1.33.1 (W)
Merc SL55 AMG..........................................1.33.2(W)
VW Golf R32...............................................1.33.3
VW Golf GTI (Yes the new one)..................1.33.7
Renault Clio Cup (the 182 I think)..............1.33.8
Vauxhall Monaro.........................................1.33.9 (W)
Renaultsport Megan 225............................1.34.0
Mini Cooper S Works..................................1.34.2
MG ZT 260..................................................1.35.0
Volvo S60R.................................................1.35
Ferrari 575..................................................1.35.2 (W)
Alfa Romeo 147 GTA....................................1.35.6
Lotus Elise 111S..........................................1.35.6 (W)
Citroen C4 VTS............................................1.35.8
Aston Martin Vanquish.................................1.36.2 (W)
Renault Clio V6............................................1.36.2 (W)
Honda Civic Type R (Pre 04)........................1.36.5 (W)

Quote: Originally posted by Sport182 on 09 May 2005
The Clio did a 1.33 on the Topgear track and the Type R was 1.35

With a different driver under different conditions ie. Wet.

So the clio wasnt as fast round that course, get over it. It was so close it hardly mattered anyway and imo he took the last corner badly in both cars.

The cars are both faster than each other in different situations.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member

Horse for courses, I didnt like the Civic I drove last week, for twice the price I paid for the 172 didnt feel it was worth it :(

Elise/VX220/R26

this thread is ace. Weve had "it was damp", "tiff cant drive" "honda bribed them" lol

Some quotes from the civic forum for you:

GET IN THERE If we had lost we would have had 20 Clio drivers coming on the forum saying how there car is faster and a lot cheaper. Did you see how the Clio was so unsettled and the Civic was just perfect

he he he, great race but we won again !

civic won by 2 tenths of a second and is fater round there track the the FRS and original boxster

They couldnt give away the clio even if it did win.....according to my mate there tiff took a bit of a knock with it!!

No mention of the clio been driven unfairly slow, or bribes lol

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

The Clio did look unsettled though, the Civic was more composed.

I honestly (having owned both) would have expected the same close time, but with the Clio being the one marginally in front and a tight, twisty circuit like Angelsey!