ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Final Fantasy - Retro Gaming

RB 182
Ive just done a quick search, and I couldn't find a thread relating to the excellence of the old Final Fantasy games!

it seems a random thread, since they were made about 15 years ago. But I've played Final Fantasy 7 a million times over, and bought Final Fantasy 8 & 9 on Friday night in the PSN sale. (Genuinely the only reason I own a PS3).

I just thought I'd spark up a conversation relating to everyone's favourites with the games!

Favourite game - has to be retro (FF4 through to FFX-2) so pre-Xbox/PS3 era.

Favourite point in the games - storyline, characters etc

Favourite bits of the game structure/build - e.g summons/turn based etc

And whatever stories/memories are behind the games!

i'll start!

FF7 has to be my favourite! I played it once on a recommendation when I was 12, and since then, it's undoubtedly been my favourite game of all time!

Theres a lot of amazing things about the game, the characters, the storyline, the materia system, the side quests etc and as I'm currently playing through FF8, you can really miss them!

Don't get me wrong, all of the games are great in their own way, but there's certain bits I wish they'd mixed into each game.

The FFX & FFX-2 games and storyline are a massively close 2nd for me though, loved the way the summons were used in 10 and the use of dress spheres in 10-2.

So.. Has anyone else been treated to the brilliance of the brand?

Siddle

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
I've played from FF4 onwards and it devoured my entire childhood. If you don't have the time for them you really can't appreciate them, which I've found recently with having less time, I prefer quick games like Fifa or Mortal Kombat.

FF 8 has to be my all time favourite with the epic GFs, story and triple triad, tetra master in 9 was the beans. I was also massively addicted to FF10 with the voice acting coming in and next gen graphics, blitz ball soaked up many hours (along with 10-2 which had the awesome management mode)

I actually have a griever pendant kicking around somewhere :rasp: Somebody's modded the PC version of FF8 for improved graphics, which I will have to test out sometime.

172 cup
FF 7 for me as well. But I have kept all FF's from 7 on although in recent years the have really gone down hill. Can only hope they releas one with the storyline of FF7/8 and the freedom of newer games such all fallout/skyrim/mass effect

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Wasn't the first FF game from like 1987 or something??

Tried FF7 on several attempts on PS1. And like the MGS titles, it seemed to get extremely positive reviews, but I just didn't 'get' it.

D.

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1

Tried FF7 on several attempts on PS1. And like the MGS titles, it seemed to get extremely positive reviews, but I just didn't 'get' it.

D.

They have been around for a long time, however they went through a company shift when Square merged with Enix, initially I thought it was a good thing as the games where entertaining but long term the games seem to have lost some of their originality and depth.

RB 182
I've played from FF4 onwards and it devoured my entire childhood. If you don't have the time for them you really can't appreciate them, which I've found recently with having less time, I prefer quick games like Fifa or Mortal Kombat.

FF 8 has to be my all time favourite with the epic GFs, story and triple triad, tetra master in 9 was the beans. I was also massively addicted to FF10 with the voice acting coming in and next gen graphics, blitz ball soaked up many hours (along with 10-2 which had the awesome management mode)

I actually have a griever pendant kicking around somewhere :rasp: Somebody's modded the PC version of FF8 for improved graphics, which I will have to test out sometime.

I have FF7 on my mac, PSP, PS3 AND PS1 (original game),so I can relate to your geekiness haha.

i completely agree about the games taking time and effort though. You've definitely gotta sit down and concentrate.. I think it's all the reading!

FF 7 for me as well. But I have kept all FF's from 7 on although in recent years the have really gone down hill. Can only hope they releas one with the storyline of FF7/8 and the freedom of newer games such all fallout/skyrim/mass effect

There was rumours of an FF7 re-make a while back but it seems they abandoned hope with that one.

i don't blame them to be honest, because it'd have to be monumentally brilliant to keep the fans happy!

D.

I'm not sure whether its something you've got to have done in your youth to appreciate, if that makes sense.

for instance, playing a game for the first time in your 30's will never be as fun as playing it first when you're 11.

Im not calling you old mate, by the way ;) ha

Ive never actually played any of the games before 7 though, (apart from when i jail broke my iphone and downloaded ff3 for 10 mins) so I wonder what they're like!

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
I think it was the amount of things you could do as 'side-quests'. All the summons & the monster arena etc.

Not to mention the holy grail of time sinks:

blitzball.jpg

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
Played 7-13. 8 and 10 being my favorites, the newer ones just don't work for me so 11 (the homo online one)-13 only had a few hours put in. Where as the others were life consumers!

Golden Chocobo on VII ftw. Anybody else spend an hour or two beating Omega Weapon on VIII?

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Played 7-13. 8 and 10 being my favorites, the newer ones just don't work for me so 11 (the homo online one)-13 only had a few hours put in. Where as the others were life consumers!

Golden Chocobo on VII ftw. Anybody else spend an hour or two beating Omega Weapon on VIII?

I still have memories of Trema in FF 10-2, the 100 floor's of hell.

Fiesta ST-2
Completed 4-12.

13 I got bored of, 7 and 8 I always go back to.

I downloaded 8 and 9 in the PSN sale, played 9 for half hour and got bored. I don't have the hours to sink into these games anymore or the patience :dapprove:

RB 182

i'm playing through 8 now. are the 'end game side quests' similar to the other games? i love the exploration aspects. especially when you don't use a guide.. it takes forever!

I still have memories of Trema in FF 10-2, the 100 floor's of hell.

i LOVED the 100 floors.

the mascot dress sphere took me 3 play throughs.. the 100 floors took me an age.

something else what was class, was Penance on FFX.. (after you've defeated all of the dark aeons). he was rated IGN's hardest boss of all time too!

he does have about 100,000,000 health though, so i'm not surprised.

Ruby & Emerald weapons on FF7 were tough too!

09Accord 2.4 3.0i Z4
FFX for me, I was a boss at blitzball, started playing ffx-2 again, didn't like it when it was first released but fast forward few years a bit of patient with it, and i'm enjoying it (Considering its more of a girly Final Fantasy)

04BGFF182CLIORS
I loved 8 on PS1, and dabbled with 9.

10 on the PS2 was the first one I really got into, but still didnt complete! I got about 40 hours into 13(?) on 360 and got bored!

I have been playing 'Chaos Rings' on Android lately which is made by Sqaure Enix - pretty decent and has re-kindled my love for the older FF's!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
FF7 all the way although 8 and 9 are superb as well

I still play 7 on my original setup, 14" tube TV, standard controller on original PS and the copy of the game I bought way back in whenever :)

the be all and end all of that game is the material system, nothing in any RPG since has come close to how brilliant that is. knights of the round was a giggle as well!

RB 182
FF7 all the way although 8 and 9 are superb as well

I still play 7 on my original setup, 14" tube TV, standard controller on original PS and the copy of the game I bought way back in whenever :)

the be all and end all of that game is the material system, nothing in any RPG since has come close to how brilliant that is. knights of the round was a giggle as well!

Youre not wrong there mate! The materia system was brilliant. It made you work hard for your spells/abilities.

keep hold of your copy of FF7 too! I've got mine still on the shelf and I've got a sneaky feeling if they re-release it you'll be sat on a small fortune :)

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
they go up and down in value mate, I nearly sold all my old ps stuff a while back and think FF7 alone was going for like 60-70 on the bay at the time, now its bottomed out again although not looked for a while

then I thought why the hell sell up?

I have all my old ps games, all full official versions mint in boxes with instructions etc :)

RB 182
You Lucky man!

i've got a couple of PS1 games, FF7, Silent hill, Resident Evil etc.. But some games are worth a fortune!

Amazon has Abe for like £50, and it's the same with spyro I think!

youre right though, for the sake of £50. I'd never give up memories of countless hours of my childhood/teens.

It's a shame they don't make games like this anymore!

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Penance on FFX.. (after you've defeated all of the dark aeons). he was rated IGN's hardest boss of all time too!
he does have about 100,000,000 health though, so i'm not surprised.

Pennance was nails, Although I think I struggled with Dark Yojimbo more ! There was a boss in FFX-2 in the desert called Angra Mainyu, he gave me serious rage issues.

RB 182
Pennance was nails, Although I think I struggled with Dark Yojimbo more ! There was a boss in FFX-2 in the desert called Angra Mainyu, he gave me serious rage issues.

Oh my dayssss yeah I remember!

i remember I didn't know about him until I bought the Walkthrough, the battled for about 3 weeks training to beat him.

Theres honestly no other bosses in any other games that come close to FF bosses. In my opinion of course!