ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Titanium 182 OEMplus.

Hello fine folks of ClioSport,

Well this is my third sporty clio, going back maybe 5 years now I had a 172, I thought i'd bought a good one with the belts done etc but the receipt turned out to be a fraud and within a week of ownership the auxiliary belt snapped and took the rest of the head with it, it cost me 2k in maintenance and repairs in the 2 months I owned it and I eventually sold it on,demoralised. As an interesting aside the car ended up being a cast car on Coronation Street and my mum tells me it was involved in a crash as part of a storyline!

Since then I've gone through about a car every 3 months, I tend to get bored or my work changes(I'm a freelance videographer so sometimes only need to walk around the corner for work every day and sometimes I'll be driving 2000 miles a week), until recently when work settled down and my trusty highly modified MK1 Mx5 wasn't really the car to do 300 miles a week in.

So having had a ropey 306 gti6 for a little while I had the itch for a french hot hatch again and I started to look back at Clios. Within a week I'd bought a RB FF 182 that looked great, however having done a few jobs on it with the help of @MWright off here, I started to get the feeling it wasn't a goodun, there was nothing majorly wrong with it but every time I fixed a niggle I found another and it meant I never got attached or bonded with it, so after a few weeks it went up for sale and I started to look for a nicer example.

On Saturday I had a buyer for the RB car and within an hour I had seen one to replace it, 64,000 on the clock, belts done, custom remap from RStuning and from the pictures it looked very clean. I had the garage drive it over to my house for a look and couldn't believe how immaculate it was, the thing I had been most dubious about was the colour, I've never seen a Titanium RS in real life and in pictures it was my least favourite colour, however in person it looks stunning, the white fleck in the paint really pops and I actually prefer it to the RB.

Anyway, the exterior looked like it had just come from the factory, the interior the same and it went very very well on the test drive so cash was handed over and I now have what I believe to be a good clio sport at the 3rd time of trying.

IMG_7311.JPG
IMG_7313.JPG

I know it doesn't have the cup spoiler but in person I really do think it looks brilliant. I've already fitted the wind deflectors I had from the RB and it will be having the RS197 badge fitted to the back which I took off the RB too.

Plans are to put it back on standard springs for now, it's currently on Apex but I do too many miles to run on lowered suspension, my opinion might change once I've run it on standard springs for a while but I want to give the out of the box feel a try at least,if that doesn't work out then how much stiffer are cooksports? I have already bought a cat for it as it's just too noisy for a daily with the decat,power flow exhaust and KTR Induction. The induction is up for sale as is the decat, the exhaust I am undecided on, it's a lovely tip and its relatively new and very well made but until the cat is fitted I won't know if I like the sound.

I will be fitting some of the silver tech(think thats the name) bulbs to get rid of the fried egg look, maybe fitting Turinis or even some F1s in anthracite, I'm going to RStuning in the next few weeks to get the map tweaked again, it currently has some version of the pops and bangs(tweaked on the dyno) but I think it sounds ridiculous so it's going. The headlights need some treatment and I need to sort out the windscreen, its had a replacement but annoyingly they haven't put in a screen with the rain and light sensors in which means they don't work and the SERV light is on.

I'm hoping to get to some meets and I'll try and keep this thread updated as and when I change things.

Cheers!

Thanks mate, never known a car colour that looks so much better in real life than in pictures. I might get some of works camera gear out this week and see if I can get a good representation of it,it's had a couple of previous owners on here and it seems they were into their detailing,even all the door shuts etc are sparkling.

Yea i have the titanium. It does look so much better in the flesh. Especially after a lick of wax etc. Underrated colour by many on here.

... they don't know what they're missing.

I do love the blue ones but titanium looks just as good in person!

Am I right in saying if I want to fit a cup spoiler I need a whole new boot or is it just new boot lifters I need?

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
You dont need a whole new boot, the spoiler will fit straight on

Im not sure on the boot struts i know different ones are needed for the v6/trophy spoiler....

I do love the blue ones but titanium looks just as good in person!

Am I right in saying if I want to fit a cup spoiler I need a whole new boot or is it just new boot lifters I need?

Spoiler will fit straight on. Just pray your connector fits the third brake light. Some do and some don't so I'm told.

Ex 182 owner
Nice. My 182 is a Ti non cup. I thought about the spoiler and decided it was actually interesting to be different and kept the non cup spoiler. Although I have to admit mine came with its non cup silver wheels sprayed to look like darker cup ones. I have since swapped to trophy Turinis.

When I did my suspension I went with eibach prolines as they only offered a small change over non cup springs.

All the best with it
Chris

Ok so I'm looking for some advice on mapping. The car has a custom map on it from RSTuning where it had an hour on the dyno with the induction kit and decat on. Now I can have the pops and bangs taken off but leave the map for £50 but when I refit the cat and standard airbox the fuelling will now be off because the car is mapped for a decat and induction,I'd love the leave the car as is but it's just too noisy for a daily work driver. To have the map tweaked for a standard airbox and cat is going to be £100 per hour on the rollers which could get pricey. What would you folks do?

My other thought was to perhaps keep the decat on, change the induction and put a standard backbox on or just a quieter after market one, thus keeping the fuelling relatively similar and just get rid of the pops and bangs?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I'd get the pops and bangs taken off imo. Stick the cat and Airbox on and get it mapped accordingly

About your spoiler, I fitted a cup spoiler to my non sport MK2 PH2 and had to cut the connector off both the spoiler and car wiring and solder them up and seal the joint as the connector will not fit underneath.

Thanks Fairm, didn't think of that.

@imprezaworks I just spoke to the previous owner who had the exhaust and decat put on and he informs me that the decat made some difference but the exhaust itself is "as loud as a yozza". With that in mind I could potentially just get the pops and bangs taken off,change the exhaust for something quieter and potentially be a winner?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Was the exhaust including decat etc put on before it was mapped? I'm assuming it was. I'd do what you need to and for peace of mine get the map atleast checked

Yer everything was put on just before the map. Just cash is tight at the minute having just spent out on the car, my priority at the moment is making it quieter, I have a cat sat here waiting to go on but can't fit it until the pops and bangs is switched off, and I don't want that removed if I'm then going to be changing the map because that means two trips and more money again.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Ah ok. Are you going to rs running for the map work? Take the cat with you and swap it there? I'm sure paul won't mind mate

Good idea, in a perfect world I'd have the cash to get an RS192 exhaust and fit that and the cat then get it all mapped up nicely but it's just a massive chunk of cash,get back some of the money selling the exhaust and decat I guess, then theres the loss of ponies,what to do what to do.

Standard exhaust,cat but keep KTR induction for some noise when pushing on then get an RStuner to change the map from pops and bangs to 98 ron is another option,problem with that one being i don't have a laptop to do the Rstuner.

Thanks Dan yours is lovely, need those Turinis off you!

Ok so my current plan of action is as follows, swap the exhaust for a quieter one and if the car is quiet enough for my liking then get Rstuning to remove pops and bangs but leave the map on as the backbox shouldn't change the mapping much at all. If it isn't quiet enough then it will be cat and standard airbox time and a full remap.

Here is the exhaust currently on the car....

Attachments

• IMG_7317.JPG
    IMG_7317.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 48
Replaced the rubber bonnet trim for a nice new one from the group buy today, the old one was split and it's the little details like that that bug the hell out of me.

Cheers mate, missus birthday today so we've been out until late, got home and its a few hours yet until the UFC so took the car out for a blast around trafford park, definitely needs new tyres I had a few brown trouser moments.

Progress! Took the car to RS Tuning today and Paul took the pops and bangs off for me, so much better! Just waiting on parts to come now to swap the suspension over.

Ok so quick update.

Firstly as an aside to the above small update, I also got a dyno run print out, 176.2bhp which I'm pleased with, Paul said it seemed perfectly healthy so all good.

Now onto my mods conundrum, having spoken with Paul at Rstuning he said that the thing that will throw my map out by far the most would be refitting the cat and that an airbox/after market backbox change won't make too much difference at all. With that in mind I have sold the backbox and bought a Ktec/Janspeed Sport box,sold the ktec induction and will be keeping the decat.

A few days back @MWright came around to see the new motor,whilst he was there I decided to get the inlet manifold off and tighten up the spark plugs as I could hear a slight tapping noise, I didn't get particularly far before finding one of the engine cover torx was badly rounded, we tried a few different tools but basically just made it worse, I came up with the idea of chemwelding a torx driver into the bolt and waited a day for it to dry.......

IMG_7347.JPG

24 Hours on and of course it was an epic fail,the chem weld snapped long before it felt like turning the screw so that was left for now.

In the mean time I went and picked up my new Ktec and @MWright came around to help me fit it, being an obsessive compulsive type he'd been thinking about the stripped torx more than I had and the first thing he did when he got here was go to town on it with one of his own torx bits and a hammer, 10 minutes later and it was off, what a chap.

We then set about fitting the exhaust, annoyingly the sleeve-flange adapter I had bought meant the exhaust going on was longer than the one coming off and after lots of umming ahhing and swearing we took it back out from under the car to adjust the mid box-back box sleeve, it was super stiff and took the both of us to push them together. Eventually at about midnight we got it fitted, it still sticks out too much at the back and it has a ghastly blow from the cat-mid box joint at the moment but its on, I'm going to take it to a local garage on Monday just for a tweak and some exhaust paste putting on the joint.

IMG_7378.JPG

Whilst we were at it I decided to fit my RS197 badge which meant removing all of the others, I was also getting a bit fed up of my rear windscreen RS tuning badge, its subtle from outside the car but it's right in the middle of my view when I look in the rear view mirror so that came off too. Pics are midway through the job.

IMG_7348.JPG
IMG_7349.JPG

My plan had been to fit standard springs but having ordered them 2 weeks ago from a member they still haven't arrived, in the meantime I saw some keenly priced eibach sportlines and cup shocks so they are now waiting at my family home in Blackpool to be fitted, and not a day too soon because on inspection my rear shocks are knackered, pissing oil out everywhere.

I also picked up some OZ Superturismos but after much deliberation decided to keep the standard wheels,I'll be keeping these or fitting either Turinis or F1s but nothing that didn't come on a clio as standard.

IMG_7350.JPG

So the current state of play is, it still has the KTec induction on but it is sold, just awaiting the arrival of my standard airbox in the post, it still has the apex springs on but again when I go back to Blackpool (maybe Monday) the eibachs will be fitted and the exhaust is now fitted but needs new mounts and some adjustment to sit right/not blow.It's already a much better car than when I bought it but still a few little niggles to sort.

The windscreen is very annoying, the previous owner had it replaced due to a stone chip but didn't fit the proper one with the sensors on so now the SERV light flashes and the slowest wiper speed I have is mach 3, I've been quoted £100 to fit a used one so somewhere down the line I'll have to plump for that, luckily a look under the roof lining produced the original cable and connector so it should be plug and play.

Soon it will be new tyre time too!

Thanks for reading.

With your default pic don't @ me.

More updates than I have since owning it for 2 years+. Enjoyed the blast after fitting the exhaust especially that induction noise lol.

The more I keep looking and working on it makes me look at the cars for sale section, properly flawless paintwork on this such a ice colour in the flesh.

You gonna get the mounts sorted when the exhaust gets aligned?

What do you mean a default pic,thats me in the dark wearing my ghost outfit.

I'm going to change the mounts when I fit the new springs I reckon,I'll have easy access then.Drove to Skipton in it today,exhaust blowing like a good un.