ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Finally Test Drove the R26 Today!

LY V6 with Recaros
You got a nice car atm but I bet you wish want RB clio v6 ;)

Yeah it's a shame they don't do the V6 in RB!

Defo! Are you sure you want LY?

I quite fancy a Megane, but really love RB miss the colour loads. Sadly can't get it on the Megane :(

Yep, def want LY, it would be a different matter if any of them were made in RB, but I do love LY. I'll certainly miss RB though.

LY V6 with Recaros
Yeah I have seen Alex Levingtons posts on RS, will definitely pm him if and a few of the others before I went and bought anything :)

Speak to Johnny or Peter at Martins Basingstoke, they will sort you out with a better deal. The V6 is over-rated IMHO.

Thanks, will try those too :) I'm getting carried away after the test drive though, my original plan was to wait until the end of the year before I got a new car, I knew I'd be like this if I drove one!!

We're all the same thou Deb when we test drive a car. I'd keep your 182 for a little while longer and enjoy it and then see what you really want??

LY V6 with Recaros
I know, I have a while yet though Stu! I wouldn't buy one without driving the vee first anyway because I'll probably fall in love with that too!!

Yes, probably the most sensible idea Jay! I get these ideas but then when I've not driven mine for a while and get in it it always makes me smile! Arghh, what am I like??!

Last edited:
We've all been there. It's great when you've been on holiday for a week or 2 then come back for a blast, feels like a new car again! :D

Deb, as Gareth previously said speak to someone at Martins in Basingstoke. I dealt with Jonny and got £4k off the list price of my R27. Mention the Renaultsport forum and I guarantee they'll do you a good deal on a Megane.

I got a very good trade in on my 182 Cup as well.

LY V6 with Recaros
Cheers for the advice, Martins at Basingstoke seems to have come up quite alot on the other forums so will give them a go when/if I decide to get a new one :)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I will definitely take a v6 out for a test drive first. V6 lancs, where have you seen a v6 for sale near me, I've had a look but can't find any at dealers :(

Jay, I know exactly what you're getting at about the new car thing. I've owned the 182 from new too, so I don't really want to get a used one unless I have too. But the vee is special, and I've always wanted one, so it's the one car I'd make the exeption for!

Imo, you've made your decision right there, Deb!

For me personally, I'd go for the R26. But that's mainly driven by the fact that I'm craving for a turbo again. I absolutely love the look of them in white. And even though I've never driven an R26, I would stick my neck out here and say that its probably a better handling car than a V6?

But the V6 is all about occasion. It's the wow-factor. The sound of it, the uniqueness of the engine behind you, the two-seater appeal. Randomly park up an R26 and a V6 in some car-park and the amount of people oggling the V6 and snapping away with their camera phones would far exceed those with the R26.

And don't be put off by age - it really shouldn't be a factor if you find the right motor for you. I bought my 182 from new as well, but when I go looking for an Evo VI - they will be knocking on for 10 years of age. In an ideal world, I'd find one that had been bubble-wrapped since 1999, but it isn't going to happen. ;)

You say you always wanted a Vee. That's the one you should go for.

D.

Mini Cooper S sport
I love Vees but I've already made up my mind that my next car will be an R26 - it's just a case of when! I've joined Meganesport to find out a bit more, but I still need to test drive one. I'm just waiting to see if I'll get any sort of payrise this year, if it's as s**t as I think it's going to be I might have to keep the 182 for longer :(

I was kind of leaning towards a white R26 with black wheels, but I think it will have to be liquid yellow..

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I need to get mine out of the garage and get it run in, I'm having it remapped in a week or two.

cock mobile.
About time Deb ;)

Have never owned a V6 I can't really comment, but I'd imagine the R26 would be far easier to live with on a daily basis.

Price isn't bad considering the options but I defo think you could get it cheaper than that!

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Keep the 182 Deb. I nearly chopped the Cup in for...errr...a Cup. Well the 197 but i weighed it up and for fun and affordability, my 172 wins everytime.

Clare keeps saying she wants to get an R26 but for one she doesn't really use her 182 as Renaultsport intended (altho shes learning...hehe) and it'll be pretty darn expensive to live with everyday!
But hey if you can afford it then i guess its game on!

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Keep the 182 Deb. I nearly chopped the Cup in for...errr...a Cup. Well the 197 but i weighed it up and for fun and affordability, my 172 wins everytime.

Clare keeps saying she wants to get an R26 but for one she doesn't really use her 182 as Renaultsport intended (altho shes learning...hehe) and it'll be pretty darn expensive to live with everyday!

its a fair comment, it is very cost effective to keep what you've got if your happy with it, I'd have 13k in the bank if I'd of kept my 172 and not got the 225 then the R26.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
I think the R26 is the best hot hatch out there for the money so if i was shopping for one with the money in place, i'd have one.

Im just all about driving the best i can afford to own. I'd probably be able to upgrade to a Trophy but really, climbing out of the 10k zone isn't possible for me, and really the next step up from the Cup/Trophy is the R26.
The new Clio is becoming less and less appealing as it seems to be just as expensive to run as an R26 but much less impressive.

As for a V6...well i can dream i guess. hehe

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I think the R26 is the best hot hatch out there for the money so if i was shopping for one with the money in place, i'd have one.

Im just all about driving the best i can afford to own. I'd probably be able to upgrade to a Trophy but really, climbing out of the 10k zone isn't possible for me, and really the next step up from the Cup/Trophy is the R26.
The new Clio is becoming less and less appealing as it seems to be just as expensive to run as an R26 but much less impressive.

As for a V6...well i can dream i guess. hehe

ditto, but I was deeply dissapointed by the V6 after driving one following years of admiration. (Hence 225/R26)

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Well i've only driven the one V6 and that was basically a 15 minute blat. Cornering was amazingly flat and it was a pure head turner, but it didn't feel amazingly fast, but then again i think im too used to fast stuff from work.

Only driven the one fast Meg and it was a 225 Cup with worn fronts but it felt really gutsy and very chuckable so it appealed to me because it just felt like a bigger version of my car with a bit more urgency!

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
once they are properly warmed up they are unbelieveable at reving through the gears from corner to corner, my mate couldn't believe how quickly we had made it across the moors in North Wales when I took him out in my old one, I can't wait to get the R26 up there next month once its run in and remapped.

182 has now gone!

Whatever Parker!!!! :nono:

If I could afford it I would def have a R26 without a doubt, but then I would love a V6 as well..

You should def look into coming to the Isle of Man debs!!!

Elise/VX220/R26
The r26 is a proper bit of kit. My f1 is pretty good if I do say so myself (same car with no LSD) I jumped into an R26 at the ring for the first time and did 2 soaking wet laps in it. It feels pinned down unlike any car I've ever driven in the wet. It was completely confidence inspiring and I would deffo reccommend them (ok I'm biased slightly!)

With regards the V6 I did look at getting one after the VX but when you look at it practically its a silly car to own. Ok they look sort of interesting but they are just too heavy, use too much gas and I dunno I guess if you want a 2 seater there simply a lot better cars out there that cost less, are better to drive and are faster (I'm thinking s2000 VX, Elise, exige) In the end I settled on the F1 and have resolved to attempt to buy some kind of sports car in the near future for track use. Best of both worlds.

LY V6 with Recaros
Well I've decided to just keep the 182 for now anyway. It makes more sense and as I change my mind every day anyway it gives me longer to decide what I really want lol!

Would definitely love both, and they both have their pros and cons, but mine is fine for now.

Chris V6 255

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 255, 182 Trophy
Have you tried a vee yet...If not, you'll buy one straight away...regardless of Colour!

LY should only of been avalable on the Vee!!! it's common now! :(

The R26 is an awesome car no doubt & I reckon the Vee would probably struggle to keep up on the twists especially with the weather but......

Its not all about how fast you can go! The experience of driving the vee will blow you away!!! The noise, the looks, peoples reactions, the exclusivity, I could go on but u get the idea

I can’t think of any other car I would rather have for the same sort of money!
The only car's I would think of swapping it for right now are a Z4M Coupe or a Sagaris & they would cost me an extra 15 - 20k

As for Liquid Yellow becoming common, I knew Acid Yellow was the way forward ;)