ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

First and last time I do budget...

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Every Clio i've taken on track has had decent brake pads and decent tyres. (PE2's, P Zeros, R888s) This time we decided to use what we had lying around rather than spend money.

Today, I did a track day with standard spec brembo pads and T1R tyres. After just 2 x 15 minute sessions, this is what we were left with... The pads on one side literally fell apart. The other side was fine still but this one not so much. The T1Rs just have way too soft a side wall for track work! lol..

null_zpsf0100a17.png

null_zpsc5422685.jpg

We ended up driving to halfords to get a new set of Halfords brand cheap pads (Which were actually brilliant!) and we swapped tyres around to make sure we didn't get a blow out...

Doing things on a Budget does not make sense!!!

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
I've got A048's for my trackday next Sunday, been using Toyo road tyres for the last 2 years.

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
The toyos, despite being not very good for lap times y0, are great fun. The car moves all over the place, we were laughing all day!

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
​I wanted to meet you today but you left as we got back from the petrol station. :(

Gutted :( was looking around for you (and others) but I didn't spot many. Spoke to Matt W and let him take the st for a spin, spoke to 2 others and the Godspeed guys (my mates are friends with Ben which I didn't know) and I spotted chip fixing a trumpet on that mentally loud red Clio lol.

i would have stayed longer but my mates were getting bored and wanted to go.

Volvo XC60 T8
Gutted I didn't see Daniel either, although I was looking for someone that looked like his avatar.....

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
You were too busy laughing at a broken trumpet mate, thought it best to leave you to it lol.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
You were too busy laughing at a broken trumpet mate, thought it best to leave you to it lol.

Barge in next time mate.
Lucky escape the trumpet bolt didn't get ingested.
quite a quick car now that one since the cams, had no trouble getting away from our RB and the williams trophy although comically Dewis was all over him in the pikey corsa thrown together from leftovers for pennies!

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Yes very lucky! It was a quick car I was quite impressed with it tbh.

the corsa was pretty cool too, sounded nice but it looked mega unstable in the corners lol. Watched it through the first set of corners a few times and it looked very "edgy"

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Always disagreed with people that say standard pads are good enough for track work.

And I thought the sidewalls on my Goodyears were bad LOL

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
I destroyed my Brembo pads in the first session,
they went from a high bite point to the pedal being on the floor within 15 minutes.

I just drove all the way home without touching the brakes until I was in Coventry city centre,
the pedal does nothing now. lol

​So in short Brembo pads suck balls.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Never seen tyres that bad :/ Surely to fold that much they couldn't of had enough pressure?

172 Race Car
Nope, thats pretty normal on 'Road tyres' if you drive them hard. sidewalls not intended to corner at 80mph+

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Would that not depend on the track? I've used road tyres before and they have been crap, but fine

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Nope, thats pretty normal on 'Road tyres' if you drive them hard. sidewalls not intended to corner at 80mph+

Fair enough, mine started to do this on my last trackday and I had f**k all grip through the corners, think that could be more to do with the lack of decent wheel alignment now though!

172 Race Car
Would that not depend on the track? I've used road tyres before and they have been crap, but fine
Yes, depends on layout and surface. Seen/had that happen at places like Mallory, Oulton and Llandow. But never places like Donington or Silverstone. From our experience Donington is very easy on tyres

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
My P-Zero Neros have sidewalls that are blue from overheat and thats just from a late night road test! Wouldn't hold up on track at all i dont think..