ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

First claying attempt

Hi all,
Thought I'd give the old girl a wash today and remembered I had a turtlewax clay bar kit in the shed that I got for my birthday. Therefore I decided to wash it with the 2 bucket method, clay then wash again. Afterwards I then gave her a polish and took some photos.
My car is by no means faultless as there are all sorts of imperfections to the bodywork and wheels but I'm generally pleased with the condition considering I paid less than £2k.

The products I used were:
Autoglym car shampoo
Turtlewax clay kit
Autoglym super resin polish
Autoglym instant tyre dressing
Autosol metal polish for the headlights
4x micro fibre cloths

Then I took these photos with a:
Canon EOS 1200D Camera

And adjusted the contrast using:
Adobe Photoshop CC 2015

Blue isn't my favourite colour for 182's but I like the car so much I don't care:)

Attachments

• IMG_0197b.jpg
    IMG_0197b.jpg
    337.2 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_0186b.jpg
    IMG_0186b.jpg
    412 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_0197b.jpg
    IMG_0197b.jpg
    337.2 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_0212b.jpg
    IMG_0212b.jpg
    439 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_0220b.jpg
    IMG_0220b.jpg
    362.1 KB · Views: 160
Thanks mate :D I'm by no means a detailer but I thought "why not treat her to an enhanced wash for change!". I forgot to mention, when I cleaned all inside the arches I couldn't believe how much crud was there. Probably 12 years worth :-0 It was so satisfying getting rid of it all as I'm probably the first person to clean round there even though I've only owned the car a month or so

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Yeah round the arches will be the death of these aging cars. I tried claying which I found ok, but now I use either a fallout remover or paint cleanser. Intereting using metal polish on the lights, assume it worked ok?

I found claying ok too although it felt a bit odd. It certainly picked up a fair amount of crud though from the bodywork even after a good wash. I will look into fallout remover? What does it do? Any brands you recommend? Metal polish works amazingly on the lights, give it a try, I guarantee you will be impressed with the results after only 5 minutes per headlight

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds good, need to find the metal polish now lol.

Have a mooch for ideas in the detailing thread. I use red 7 by autosmart, get it at trade £30 for 5l's. There's iron x that's good too.

Fallout removes iron particles from the car, and wheels.

Cool cheers, I actually have a spray bottle of something in the shed which makes my wheels go that colour too. Freaked me out though as I thought it might corrode the wheels as it turned them purple. Is it worth using each wash the? I guess it reacts with brake dust?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers, not everyone agrees with the choice in wheels but I like them. Cheap and light too. Fox ms006 in case your wondering. I work in the car trade so they didn't cost loads brand new. I highly recommend buying King of gloss which is a wax based sealent iirc. About £23 for a large tin, goes on easy and buffs off nicely.

2D784099-8DFD-4A86-BD48-1EF823C3519D_zps0aamcsi5.jpg

The wheels look great and suit the car IMO. That polish sounds ideal too. Found Autoglym a bit annoying to apply and remove

Only a year I think, although it was still sealed before I opened it. I did apply it in direct sunlight so it dried almost instantly

Renault 5 GT Turbo
Claying the car makes such a difference to the final result.
There's no replacing it.
Fallout remover and tar remover should be used before claying to break down the bigger bits so that the clay doesn't pick them up and drag them across the paint.
A paint cleanser, in your car's SRP would be used after clay to deep cleanse the paints pores and lift the finish.
A durable wax will see the finish lasting longer as well making it a lot easier to clean :)
You wouldn't need to use a fallout remover every wash. Clean the wheels, remove the fallout, seal them up and you'll only need car shampoo to clean them for a good while ;)

Claying the car makes such a difference to the final result.
There's no replacing it.
Fallout remover and tar remover should be used before claying to break down the bigger bits so that the clay doesn't pick them up and drag them across the paint.
A paint cleanser, in your car's SRP would be used after clay to deep cleanse the paints pores and lift the finish.
A durable wax will see the finish lasting longer as well making it a lot easier to clean :smile:
You wouldn't need to use a fallout remover every wash. Clean the wheels, remove the fallout, seal them up and you'll only need car shampoo to clean them for a good while :wink:
Awesome thanks very much for the tips mate, wish I read into it all before I did mine as I could have been more thorough. There's always another time! As I've just played and polished it is it advisable to leave it a while before I do the above?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Ha. For the money the King of gloss is really very good to use. I'm sure others will say there are better products.

Renault 5 GT Turbo
Awesome thanks very much for the tips mate, wish I read into it all before I did mine as I could have been more thorough. There's always another time! As I've just played and polished it is it advisable to leave it a while before I do the above?

If you're looking to wax it quite soon, a good wash, SRP and then wax over the top will be fine.
You only need to clay as and when it needs it. I do my cars about twice a year.
The Fusso wax isn't that great to be honest. There was a big bubble around it but that's bursting now.
A good, cheap wax is Collinite 476s. I've got so many waxes now but I always keep a tin of it around. Very durable :)