ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

First & current hot hatch

So many ex gt turbo owners on here.

A 172/182 is probably the closest modern equivalent of a R 5 GTT, and a hell of a lot cheaper!

I bet there's a few people here kicking themselves looking back on what they got rid of, I think I sold that Gt turbo for £1800 😭

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
A 172/182 is probably the closest modern equivalent of a R 5 GTT, and a hell of a lot cheaper!

I bet there's a few people here kicking themselves looking back on what they got rid of, I think I sold that Gt turbo for £1800 😭
I sold my GTT for £2100 (bought it for £2000).

There's I few cars I've sold that I would have kept, but I've never had anywhere to keep them.

The average UK property is too small to accommodate working class car collectors 😂 😂.

I've got parking for five now, but I need my kids to move out to free up some parking spaces.....

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
First hot hatch and first car, Nova 1.3sr C reg back in 1998. No pics, had period alpine headunit with 6 disc changer, alpine sub and amp, lowered on jamex springs, astra gte mk2 alloys & peco big bore backbox. Fond memories of fixing it, and taking it for mot which resulted in a hole in the sill, revealing 2x over sills fitted in the past :LOL:

Current gtt. Mrs owns the meganes, so cant take credit for them. I offered her my gtt in px for the 250 but she wont have it:cautious:
B36AADA1-A2D8-4844-93B6-5118AA192807.jpeg

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
what was the story behind the clio that had been sat on top of the smart car. 😂

Not sure tbh, I traded it in after about 6 weeks cos it was beyond a shed, couple of years later that pic appered. I'm sure it was from a newspaper article but either wau, my biggest surprise was it had taken that long to be written off!!

Land Rover
Renault 5 GT Turbos were clearly popular.
I had two, the first was a black one which went like stink but was always going wrong so l swapped it for a Peugeot 205 XS.
The Peugeot lasted a year and then l got another R5 GT Turbo
Grey one this time. It wasn’t as fast as the black one but l soon found out that you could turn the boost up on the wastegate to give an extra 30bhp
In fact my local Renault dealer offered to do it as an “upgrade” for £50.
But the car was fragile enough without putting extra stress on it and it soon started to give trouble.
I was doing over 10,000 miles a year in these cars for my work.
I sold it and bought a brand new Fiat Punto (they had just come out) which l didn’t like very much.
So l basically took it back after six months and paid the extra for an Alfa Romeo 145.

Land Rover
First hot hatch and first car, Nova 1.3sr C reg back in 1998. No pics, had period alpine headunit with 6 disc changer, alpine sub and amp, lowered on jamex springs, astra gte mk2 alloys & peco big bore backbox. Fond memories of fixing it, and taking it for mot which resulted in a hole in the sill, revealing 2x over sills fitted in the past :LOL:

Current gtt. Mrs owns the meganes, so cant take credit for them. I offered her my gtt in px for the 250 but she wont have it:cautious:View attachment 1472087

You lucky sod, still owning one of those.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Looks like my first 5GTT died in 2003, 10 years after I sold it. The blue one I had last failed mot in 2017😢. And I can't remember the other ones reg number.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
just checked and the road tax on my 5GTT wasn't renewed after I sold it in 1996.

Wonder if the lad I sold it to wrote it off. To this day I still remember him and his mates screeching off in it when he'd bought it.

-Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  172-E92 M3-ZT V8
First warm hatch was my MG ZR 120 back in 2003 followed by a black MG ZS 180 - the chassis on that car was sublime

FADFBE54-0FB6-46FD-A067-F458387D7434.jpeg

Not my car above but exactly the same. Then came my 106 GTI which i loved.....until I wrote it off
517F9989-E487-4642-AD39-43891260CF5C.jpeg

Next came my Zetec S which had a cracking gearbox and chassis balance - just the engine felt a bit flat after the Peugeot
E4E2121F-D769-4881-A3C1-A3014B07F778.jpeg

Sold that in 2008 and bought my current hot hatch and now weekend toy
9916496F-6BC1-496E-9C68-E10F652E26BC.jpeg

Turbocharged in 2014 and god knows how much money later i love it. Best of the lot and cant ever see myself parting with it.

Pulsar's are my dream car 😍

I've always liked them, there was 3 or 4 of us that always used to have the same cars. To start with we all had R5 Gt turbos then one of the others sold his and bought a Pulsar and then we all had GTI-R's, the difference being I've still got mine 18 years later!

Mine is actually a Sunny as it was one of the very few official uk cars and not an import.

Are those tsw venoms on the 5 ?

Yes, I thought they looked good 20 years ago 😂

I had a pulsar same colour reg B2 AKY think it’s a beast on you tube now

Any links? I'd love to know how many were left now, people just used to get bored of them and break them for bits ☹

Megane RS 265
Not my first car, but first hot hatch (more warm probably), 3 years ago:

49868212551_48db3db6a2_k.jpg
8D99605E-2BE7-4C45-B5CA-710E3F0A3024 by Joshua Tarnai, on Flickr

Loved it, mainly because it resembled a VTS my Dad owned (3 separate times!) before I could drive:
49868218756_bf60e7e42a_o.jpg
EBA4DB24-AE6C-426B-B36C-EE197E89740E by Joshua Tarnai, on Flickr
(Pictured with my first car, 106 Quiksilver)

And here's my current hot hatch, my 182 Cup (old pic)
49389894751_ed61e6f817_k.jpg
Untitled by Joshua Tarnai, on Flickr

Clio 182 cup
First warm hatch was my MG ZR 120 back in 2003 followed by a black MG ZS 180 - the chassis on that car was sublime

View attachment 1472192
Not my car above but exactly the same. Then came my 106 GTI which i loved.....until I wrote it off
View attachment 1472193
Next came my Zetec S which had a cracking gearbox and chassis balance - just the engine felt a bit flat after the Peugeot
View attachment 1472191
Sold that in 2008 and bought my current hot hatch and now weekend toy
View attachment 1472190
Turbocharged in 2014 and god knows how much money later i love it. Best of the lot and cant ever see myself parting with it.
What are the clio like turbocharged? Is it worth the money?

-Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  172-E92 M3-ZT V8
What are the clio like turbocharged? Is it worth the money?
The pros and cons have been debated on this forum for years....i would do a search or go on my thread as i went into some detail there. In short - as a purely financial proposition not worth the money. In terms of fun factor and the enjoyment i have personally got out of it well worth it. If you want a turbocharged car for the extra power alone I would buy something that was made that way out of the factory like an R26 as to make it a reliable proposition a lot of other upgrades are required.

Hmm, tricky

Not my first car (or actual pic) but first hot hatch. Sunbeam 1.6ti because I couldn't afford a Lotus Sunbeam. Still 100 (ish) bhp of RWD fun.
first.jpg

Current wheels
current.png

Most missed, tough choice between these two. So very different but both great in their own way.
choice2.JPG

choice1.JPG

Land Rover
I’ve had all sorts of performance cars but the favourite was my Ferrari Mondial t.
It was an event just to sit in it.
The 3.4 litre V8 went to 9,000 rpm but was tractable and well behaved right down to tickover.
It had adjustable dampers via a 3 way switch on the dash. In “soft” it floated over bad roads like an old Cortina.
In “medium” it was as you’d expect for a car of that type and in “hard” it was rock hard
for track days.
The Bilstein dampers had servo motors on the top to adjust the damping rate.
Not bad for a car made in 1990.

Unfortunately running costs nearly bankrupted me and l had to sell it. Of course values shot up after l got rid of it !

Land Rover
It was sold back in 1990 as the “family Ferrari” as it had four seats.
That “family” would have to have been well off to afford the £67,000 price....around the same as a 3 bed house at the time
Ferrari only sold 24 Mondial t’s in the U.K. There were three earlier versions which weren’t that great, which gave the model a bad reputation. The Mondial “8” was a bit rubbish according to reviews at the time although you’ll pay upwards of £30,000 for a good one now.

Just so people know l am not rich !!
Values for for the Mondial t had dropped to less than the price of a new Ford Mondeo when l bought it in 2010, although they’ve gone up a fair bit now.

But now’s the time to buy your dream Ferrari!
Values are down 30% at the moment, they have been falling since last year.
Running costs can be ruinous through, think it costs a lot to get your dephaser and cam belt done?
Try it on a Mondial t, 348 or 355. It has to be done every two years even if you’ve only done 300 miles.
The engine has to come out for a start....twenty hours labour (including putting it back in)

Last edited:
  172 cup
first car was a 200 quid mk1 xr2 in blue
since then all ive owned is hot hatches
1.6 205 gti
1.9 309 gti
mk2 xr2 x4
astra gte red top
xr3i
mk2 16v golf gti
mk3 16v golf gti
mk4 golf gtd
mk5 golf gti's x4
mk5 golf gti edition 30's x2
lupo gti

im sure ive missed a few

currently own a mk7 golf gti performance pack and a 1.8t mk1 cab and the 172 cup
d98615b70f2dc6e54a8b054fd4e014e7.jpg
c98b6eec155ecf868c25832aabce585e.jpg
92f8787c78f423ab8a448064dcd37d2f.jpg

Attachments

• 1983-Ford-Fiesta-XR2-Mk1.jpg
    1983-Ford-Fiesta-XR2-Mk1.jpg
    721.9 KB · Views: 64