ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

First Portraiture attempt!

So apart from a few shots of the wife on holiday etc, I have never done any portraiture work.

Our friend asked me to take a couple of shots of her daughter before she headed off to her prom, as all they had were compacts and camera phones.

Here are a few of the ones I took.

To be honest, for my first attempt I'm pretty happy and Rachel (the Mum) loves them to pieces - which for me is the most important thing.

There are probably things I could have done better and improved - but this was a bit or a last minute thing so preparation was reading a few bits online yesterday!!

9143295778_85ce6c1360_c.jpg

9143301076_b219016737_c.jpg

9141078993_fefff5ca6e_c.jpg

9143313292_7d020afc04_c.jpg

9143320138_b5fcddc3d8_c.jpg

9141097705_63b9bc187b_c.jpg

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
Third is the pick for me, she looks relaxed and composition is good.

Last edited by a moderator:
My only criticism would be the pose. Standing face on to the camera with her arms at her side seems a bit awkward, and a deliberate pose.....if you get what I mean.

I know how hard it is to make it look natural from my wedding work I've done. And why I hate photographing people too!

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
They look pretty good, especially as you say it's your first attempt.

Did you get full length shots or just the one's like you have posted?

She is 16 lol.

I know what you mean Dan - I think that was my fault mainly. Having not done this type of shooting before I was not too confident at directing. I'm hoping the more I do, the more confident I can get.

Didnt have any off camera lighting - was all taken with 50mm and SB400 flash.

They look pretty good, especially as you say it's your first attempt.

Did you get full length shots or just the one's like you have posted?

Yeah I took some full length shots - actually took abut 218 in total as just kept snapping. After editing and deleting the closed eye/not flattering shots I was left with 132 decent ones.

Having not done this type of shooting before I was not too confident at directing. I'm hoping the more I do, the more confident I can get.

That's exactly the problem I, and I assume everyone has doing this.......lack of confidence. So you're not alone!

There was only a small group of people I didn't know there - I can just image how much worse it is at a wedding!

And the added pressure of getting it right at a wedding - this was quite low key so pressure was a little lower.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Good shots, really sharp too. This wasn’t wide open though was it? It doesn’t look like it, so if I’m correct I’d have probably thrown it wide open to blur the background some more and to give a softer appearance to the image. But great shots that I’m sure that they’ll be happy with! I’ve not yet tried any proper portraiture myself, mainly due to a lack of subjects, but I’d like to try it some time.

Not a bad first attempt at all mate, probably like the last one the best.

try and get the model to stand so she is at 90 degrees to you this really reduces the wide appearance of the 'square on'

I've been experimenting with off camera flash a lot lately and it really adds some contrast to the face rather than the full on flash.

Not a bad first attempt at all mate, probably like the last one the best.

try and get the model to stand so she is at 90 degrees to you this really reduces the wide appearance of the 'square on'

I've been experimenting with off camera flash a lot lately and it really adds some contrast to the face rather than the full on flash.

Saving for a new flash as the SB400 is basic (no controls other than off/on) and cant be used off camera sadly.

LY 182 FF CUPPED
Nice shots, however because you've used flash it has accentuated her 'fake tan' lines where her bra straps would be. Did you take any natural light shots?
Not a critique just an observation.

Other than that - good effort.

No, I didn't take any natural light shots.

I actually thought the fake tan lines were going to come out worse as in the flesh, they looked a bit worse!