ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

first race in VTS

mk2 172

wasnt gonna go above 4k til id done 600 miles, then it broke my heart to come across a rover BRM at the mere figure of 187, this being a scalp i always wanted(and knew i could take) in the williams, in the saxo howerver its a different story, i wasnt sure what its capable of side by side and how it would fair after 60 mph being a 1.6 and all, so after a few seconds of pondering on whether or not 7k was acceptable just once through the gears i though f**k it the guy was driving erratic so i though he might play, and off a roundabout we came round it and nailed it, and from from 20 to about 80 when we braked he didnt move an inch and i got an insight into how fast my new car is:). must admit it makes a lovely noise at high revs, with no loud exhaust to interrupt i could hear the "4" cylinder symphony.no back to normal sunday driving;)

VW Transporter 174

Outstanding work Craggy! although it grieves me to say it:(

But then ive always been of the opinion that if you drove a 2CV youd still kick arss :)

Im thinking of moving up to sunny donny as thing seem to have gone flat down here in Essex,where have all the 172s gone?;)

172 Slayer

mk2 172

hi slayer:)

very impressed really, glad we didnt get to much faster than that cos it was pretty much a waiting game of when he was gonna start pullin ahead??, i take it the brm is a fair bit slower than the 160 cos the one i raced would beat the saxo pretty easy i think. there a distinct shortage of 172s that are willing to race up ere too, plenty about but they mind there own business which is fair enough although frustrating!, at least iv opened doors to new more competitive races now, wont have to mix it with the scoobs or V6 engines for a decent race:D

craggy

VW Transporter 174

Craggy

Ive always been a fan of the VTS and i dont think you can buy bigger bangs for the bucks than you have got.

As for the BRM id say it would be evens stevens to a ZR160 head to head as the dyno plots look very much the same with relation to torque with the ZR pulling the extra BHP over the last 500 rpm. My guess is that it was just a pussie driving it and not a warrior like ourselves ;)

Slayer

CTR EK9 turbo

Slayer - do you own a BRM? My bro has taken his to the garage as his elec window mechanism is bust and its eating away at the door aparently!! arrrg

Anyway, its having cold starting probs - due apparently to a low oil level? according to the lads at the garage. But on the http://www.roverbrm.co.ukwww.roverbrm.co.uk website the guy talks about long HT leads which id have thought to be the prob too. It took Ages to get her started the other morning.

Craggy - did it say BRM on the back of it? as theres a lot of look-a-likes out there with the silver side strips and wing mirrors, not to mention the front grill(!)You can tell by the Owen motor club badges near the cators and the red leather interior. They are pretty good off the line actually - i think they have a torsen diff (is that similar to the ITRs one?), anyway, it does handle well, but im not too fond of the driving position - a bit like mine and too high up.

The gearing on my bros BRM is quite loony - it hits 75 in 2nd and 105 in 3rd both at 7200 rpm. But third and fourth gears are nice and close together. Needless to say i slay him pretty badly every time. Id say its probably very even with a VTS as a "regular-racer" friend of mine has raced me many many times (and lost ;) ) Ill try and arrange a race between my bro and the VTS soon - or before my bro sells it :( I think the difference between the two would be similar to that of the Clio 16v and the VTS, with the BRM edging slowly ahead at higher speed.

It has 145 bhp standard and weighs 1111 kg (i think) so quite heavy (must be the diff and the wheels, interior leather etc)

Craggy - do you think yours might be the mysterious 130 bhp VTS version that people have been talking about? probably knowing your luck with special cars.

mk2 172

it was one of them i think cos it had all the trimmings. couldnt pass it but he couldnt get away upto 80 ish. not sure about power of sax mate, id like to think it pushed out 130bhp but i doubt it, although the guy at gmc reckons the latest ones push out about 125, if you play with the emissions you can bump it up further.which is good for over 130bhp per tonne:D

320d M Sport

Think all VTSs after 2001 are 120BHP due to cat or something like that? Earlier ones were 130bhp, still fekkin nippy though!

Paddy

mk2 172

paddy, early ones 120 bhp, some x-reg 130, later ones emissions changed, lowered it a bit, can bupped. all from the man at gmc. there is speculation of a head change, but who totally knows????. its always been 120 in citroen book

320d M Sport

i know, officially it never changed right? Cant see it being a head change? GMC are the people for S/C and stuff like that, theyre really good. They should have a go with a 172.........

Paddy

mk2 172

i couldnt either mate, thats what a thread said on ssc butits only speculation i think. gmc will sell ya a s/c kit for 172, will need some tinkering though cos it will only be universal!

320d M Sport

hmmm, supercharged 172.... would have thought thered be one knocking about now? Im gonna need more power next year.... (cue Evil Smile)......:devilish:

Paddy

mk2 172

well, the rule book went out the window today, after 200 miles i gave in and thrashed it about, never got a race though:(, the weird thing is is how it goes, theres not much seat nailing cos of the lack of torque, but the speedo dont half fly up, doesnt feel as fast as willy tho and it isnt, but it does fly for a 1.6!.

then tonight i took the nephews to watch that santa clause film and could have had a few races:cry:, what the others couldnt see was the 5yr old and the 2 year old sat lookin all cute in the back in the pint sized recaros. lol, i wish.

but next time...................