ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

First race of the season (Silverstone Arena)

Turbos.
Last year i completed just a few laps at the new Silverstone 'Arena' (new GP) circuit, so i was hoping to make amends in the first race of the Lotus Cup this year. We approached the weekend with mixed confidence; i had gone fast in previous testing, but i'd also blown the engine so we were stuck with the 'B' engine for the race. The rush to get it in in time also inevitably meant preparation wasn't quite as relaxed as we'd hoped.

My dad also wouldn't be racing me, but instead a mate living in Boston had flown over to join me for the hour race. He is a great driver, but hasn't raced for some time and hadn't been on the new Silverstone circuit at all. He had a couple of sessions to learn it, and crucially, get on the pace. So i could give him the maximum amount of time, i was getting to grips with my Production spec Elise, with its fresh engine.

Ryan1519.jpg

Ryan1780.jpg

Pleasingly, my mate James got within a second of me by the end of the day, which was a relief. With the lesser spec engine at our worst circuit (three long straights) against the likes of ex-F1 driver Martin Donnelly in the new Evora GTN, we had to make sure both our stints were strong. Oh, and hope the weather would stay nice as the 2-11s have traction control :D

Thankfully the gods were on our side in the morning when it came to the weather, and i felt much more relaxed. I also saw overnight the 911 had a bit of company outside the hotel!

photo4-1.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo2-1.jpg

At the circuit, we started talking about strategy for the race. Some planning was needed for the pit stops as the team were looking after after Liz Halliday (has done Le Mans and ALMS) in her 2-11.

Ryan1429.jpg

Ryan1442.jpg

Seeing as it looked like i would set the fastest lap, it was James who did morning practice whilst i was allowed the full quali session. James did well, but surprisingly a new 2-11 driver was the fastest, but i was confident come qualifying it would be easy to beat if all things went to plan.

Ryan1785.jpg

As everyone knows, in racing not quite everything goes quite to plan! Quali started well, on just my first flying lap i was top of the timing sheets for a while, but disaster struck as on a coast down lap (to avoid traffic), i was hit by a white Honda'd Exige who was supposedly too 'committed' to avoid me. You can see my best lap, and the hit in my YouTube clip below. Qualifying was prematurely over.

[youtube]CCoqnRogF8w[/youtube]

I came out of the car..slamming the door and all that jazz, but fortunately my lap had still counted for something and i was 3rd on the grid. And then revised timings were issued and i was then on the front row! Pole sitter in a quick Europa had gone over circuit boundaries one too many times and therefore he was demoted 10 places. As it would be me and the white Exige going into the first corner side-by-side, we were asked to kiss and make up before the race start! :eek:

Meanwhile, the team endeavoured to straighten the car up (bent tie rods etc.) in order to get me out. Their day suddenly got interesting!

Ryan1437.jpg

IMG_3372_edited-1.jpg

Although delighted to be on the front row, i knew i was up against it on the first lap. On a rolling start we are always eaten up in a straight line, so i knew i had to get over that and avoid being scruffy to make up time. All sorts of scenarios started playing in my head as we warmed the cars up.

grid.jpg

As over 40 cars piled into the first corner, predictably quicker cars such as the Evora and the supercharged 2-11s made it past me. Check out the cool clip of the race start below...

Ryan5037.jpg

[youtube]1aBp4fJ44eg[/youtube]

By the second lap i think i had lost 5 places. Frustrating, but at the same time i knew i was quicker so bid my time and started to retake places in the more technical sessions. You can watch the first few laps onboard of a Honda'd Exige i had a tussle with, including a sneaky re-pass of the Europa!

[youtube]xoBPvDNkCjo[/youtube]

The issue was getting caught amongst slower cars meant that the Evora (now in the lead) and the white Exige had streaked away. However, they were starting to hold each other up. I could see that, slowly, i was catching them bit-by-bit, lap by lap.

Ryan3976.jpg

Ryan4642.jpg

Halfway through the stint, bad luck had spread to the white Exige. I saw the Evora locking up, a puff of smoke, and then a cloud! The Exige's engine let go seemingly in sympathy. It was then me versus the F1 driver!

I closed the gap a couple of laps later, but i was going to have to be crafty getting past. The Evora was so quick in a straight line that i had to ensure i drove as cleanly as possible in the technical areas so i could get a tow on the straights. At one point i was so close i as pushing him through the apex!

donnelly2.jpg

We then got to the stage where we were lapping cars. Easy for Martin as he breezed by on the straights; i had to squeeze through on the corners. The gap yo-yo'd, but i kept reeling him back in.

donnelly1.jpg

donnelly3.jpg

Finally, Martin did me a favour. After a brief spell of rain, he had a moment coming through the fast corner onto the new pit straight, he fluffed a gearchange and for once i got to feel like it was to out accelerate someone down a straight! You can see our full battle in my video (sorry for the quality!) from 22 mins onwards.

[youtube]K2M8lzfeMq8[/youtube]

We both pitted within 2 laps of each other, so it would be interesting to see how well timed our respective stops would be. There is a mandatory 2 minute stop which seems like a life time, the trick is timing it so you are out of the pits on the button! James was raring to go...

Ryan5620.jpg

pitstop.jpg

We clearly did a good job, as within a lap or so James was about 10 seconds up the road from the Evora. Meanwhile, the Europa had fallen way down the grid with drive through penalties and a couple of spins. The 2-11s were not going to cause us trouble (worth noting that Liz Halliday started from the back due to issues, and made it up to 6th!), so it was all looking good as long as the car stayed in one piece.

jimmy.jpg

James was consistent, and the Evora was slower with the second driver. We were eeking out around 3 seconds each lap.

backmarker.jpg

And...you're waiting for it to all go wrong aren't you?! Well, for a change, it didn't! James cruised home and took the win by over 30 seconds. Needless to say we were delighted. The car, the package, had finally delivered.

It was also a bit of a treat to get onto a proper podium...

[youtube]5z3HuucNWjk[/youtube]

Ryan5756.jpg

There we have it, a great start to the season. Next up is Brands Hatch where we are supporting DTM (yes, i have a few free tickets, PM me!). And STOP PRESS, the k-series has had it's last race. A fitting end; an engine that always had the potential but has just cost too much in both money and heartache. We should have a Cosworth Duratec in for Brands, fixing our one weakness: straight-line speed. For reference, at Silverstone our trap speeds put us a pathetic 16th. A Production car was just 2mph slower in a straight line! I therefore cannot wait to sample some serious power... and a 2nd win ;)

duratecfit.jpg

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI
Finally ever since reading your post on facebook i have been waiting for this thread! Great read as always Rob..... As you have said you've had some s**t luck with that car! Nice to read all has gone well! Clearly your old man is the one who breaks it ;)

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
Great read:) well done for taking the win great start to the season!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Absolutely superb Fenn! Chuffed to bits for you, genuinely.

Hope it continues with the new engine as well mate.

WRX
Superb read and well done to all concerned. Have to admit the further I got down, the more I was expecting it all to go horribly wrong. So glad it didn't.

Arctic Blue FF 182
Great write up! You guys looked good all day out on track, saw the Porsche parked up too, spotted the plate first though.haha. We weren't having a great deal of luck with the Europa's that day, starting with that 10 place cutting curb penalty, the engine randomly cutting out. Then the other Europa took on some damage after a meetings with another car, but hey. Thats racing!

Oil Burner
Very nice Rob. Glad you are getting a new engine in the car! Looking forward to seeing the car out at DTM (which is an epic event!, so expect some v cool photos!)

Turbos.
Will be good to catch up Nick and Steve!

James, hopefully you will sort out your gremlins for Brands then. Never want to beat a competitor due to mechanical issues! Chris was obviously having to drive the socks off of the car, hence the circuit infringements ;)

Arctic Blue FF 182
Will be good to catch up Nick and Steve!

James, hopefully you will sort out your gremlins for Brands then. Never want to beat a competitor due to mechanical issues! Chris was obviously having to drive the socks off of the car, hence the circuit infringements ;)
Yeah, it's constant development. He was pushing for sure, we looked at the in car video after we got the infringements, was a harsh penalty but the boundaries had been pushed a wee bit!haha!
Not sure how they getting on in the workshop as I'm just finished my last week of my degree, so haven't been particularly active with them other then race weeks lately. Come June though hopefully I will be, so will continue to look out for you.

172, Tiguan
Good stuff Rob, well done!

Didn't feel the urge to punt Martin up the back then? ;)

lol @ the number plate.

Clio 172
Nice write up and some great vids, I was going to say how bloody big is the field with that start video then I realised on closer inspection the guy had clipped it. lol. Nice parking at the hotel as well.

Turbos.
Can you fit any engine you like then? Some Hondas out there etc, or is there a 'production' class?

There is the Open Class for basically 'anything else', but they all have a power-to-weight limit so we are competitive with each other as well as the 2-11 class.

When the series first started, the Open Class was truly open, so you had VAG power and Honda Supercharged cars. Only this season they have allowed cars back with non-OEM engines, but superchargers etc. would be pointless because of the restricted power-to-weight. Ultimately it keeps costs down and encourages more people into the series :)

Production class are less modified, where you must use the original engine with a set amount of mods. They have 160bhp, fairly standard brakes and aero.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Well done mate and a cracking write up as usual.

Finally everything went OK, I literally read the whole thing waiting for something to happen.

Free tickets you say?