ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

First time 182 owner

Silver 182
Hi all!
Dropping in to say hello, and ask a few questions about my new car.

I got my first Clio yesterday, never owned a Renault before, always been a vw guy, sold my mk2 TT last week in favour of a much cheaper car.

After looking around at a few, I picked up a 55 plate silver 182, which for some reason is registered as a trophy..? (Phoned Renault and they were just as confused, they phoned me back later in the day and said it was an error in its registration back in 2005) therefore, I am the only owner of a silver trophy has anyone else had this problem?

Anyway, loving it so far apart from a few bits and bobs that need sorting! The car pulls well, and although it's no animal, and nothing on the TT in terms of performance, it still makes me smile driving it!

The bad bits..

1. I have a very annoying raspy noise under hard acceleration, doesn't do it any other time.

2. The steering wheel is in terrible shape, is there any wheel covers you can recommend that fit well?

3. The auto lights seem to have a mind of their own, come on randomly throughout the day, they stay on at night however, so no biggy

4. This one is my main concern, the idle is terrible, very very up and down. shakes the whole car, it also cuts out sometimes if I turn the wheel to full lock whilst stationary

5. Radio reception is awful

6. I have no idea what the buttons on the right hand side of the steering wheel do

I'll post some pictures when the rain stops, any help would be much appreciated!

Jack

Last edited:

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
welcome mate!

1. I have a very annoying raspy noise under hard acceleration, doesn't do it any other time.
could be the manifold to cat joint blowing, use genuine renault part only.
or a heatshield, baffle in a damper

2. The steering wheel is in terrible shape, is there any wheel covers you can recommend that fit well?
search for snappy steering wheel, he re-covers/rebuilds wheels

3. The auto lights seem to have a mind of their own, come on randomly throughout the day, they stay on at night however, so no biggy
they can be turned off...
https://www.cliosport.net/threads/turning-my-automatic-headlights-on.461861/#post-10933554

4. This one is my main concern, the idle is terrible, very very up and down. shakes the whole car, it also cuts out sometimes if I turn the wheel to full lock whilst stationary
Idle was never the best on these, RStuner map usually sorts this
But it could be anything, when was the timingbelt done?
Injectors/coilpack/coil are the usual supects

5. Radio reception is awful
check the usual from the headunit back to the antenna

6. I have no idea what the buttons on the right hand side of the steering wheel do
you mean the cruise control?

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
idle will be injector for sure, rest is pretty well covered above

and welcome, enjoy the build quality..........😂

Silver 182
Thanks for the replies! I'll get it scanned by my local mechanic and see what's going on, would the injector not be causing issues throughout the rev range?

And in regards to the steering wheel buttons, they say R and 0, pressed them, can't see what they do

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
as above, for cruise control, switch by your right knee on a panel to turn it on and then use the steering wheel buttons to set it and change it