ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

First time my RS has felt slow!

R34 GT-R & 172 Cup
Yer bt evo has...turbo,AWD

Clio has...standard engine and FWD.

I would of compared service and running bills instead.

Not too sure about the box, he told me his clutch give up so he got a new RS one + RS flywheel and something else from the RS which i cant remember. He said it was basically now a 'RS box'. Dont think its got LSD but i could be incorrect?
The biting point on the clutch is mad, just comes from nowhere, i got used to it quite quick though, when i got back in the Trophy it felt really heavy.
As for it spinning in 4th it wasnt raining but it was damp to wet and it was about 2 degrees. And as i said he made me turn the ESP off as he said it just sucks the power away when you put your foot down, which i suppose answers the LSD question? Does a car with LSD still have ESP????? Im confusing myself now, lol.
He test drove a RS a month ago and said he thought his ST was quicker in a straight line, obviously in the twisty bits the RS would win hands down. He was seriously thinking of getting the RS but said he couldnt justify the gains over his ST.
IMO the RS looks much better, there is 2 within 4 miles of me, Blue one and a Green one. :cool:

Its probably running the Rs clutch and flywheel, due to the extra power. Both items are uprated on the Rs, it does however make the clutch heavy as fook...Worth doing though as the clutch on a standard St does seem to slip when they run good power, and get a couple of miles under their belt. Most are subject to town driving though.

The gearbox however wont be Rs.
Any idea what conversion he has on the St ? And may i suggest some decent tyres if its spinning up in 4th.....

I know the 172 is slow.

I know this because I nearly got pwnt by a Prius driver with a death wish.

f**k sakes.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
would disagree

We can agree to disagree then ;)

I drove my mates 400bhp FQ300 around the ring at warp factor 9 & it felt like i was driving a PS2. A f*cking quick PS2, but a PS2 none the less. Too computer controlled for me, an RS version however ...

He owned it for 2 months, then went back to his 3rd Z3M Coupe.

Couldnt even find a good point about my clio as i was trying to fight my corner as one of them picked there mint evo 7 up for 8-9k

Well, IMO;

The EVO has an iffy image [look/feel like a prick driving one] (I would want a paper bag to drive one lol).

Very high profile not always a good thing

Very very thirsty with a relatively tiny fuel tank

High running costs, parts/insurance/fuel, even offical service is something like every 3k

Outright performance per pound it probably cannot be beaten but that's its *only* good point IMO. That's why everyone with "£9k" doesn't own one. So reversing it, in theory the Clio has more plus points IMO.

MCS R56
Like them or not, they are in a different league in terms of performance to the Clio, without even trying.

You can have as much fun in a Clio, maybe more but Evo's are pretty nice, IMO, when left standard. No point in comparing running costs.

I'd rather have an Evo than a Clio, if I could afford to fork out for the running costs. They may be assisted heavily by technology but so are most cars these days...GTR, 599, 911...Clio Sport (to a certain extent).

172 turbo
hard when your young :mad: cant get anything good looking and really fast insurance still raping me on 172 :(

Meg 250/E36 Touring
The 200 felt very slow t'other day.

I was pottering (a bit) down near Dungeness and a Nissan GT-R came and went rather swiftly......in fact, very quickly! :cool:

Like them or not, they are in a different league in terms of performance to the Clio, without even trying.

You can have as much fun in a Clio, maybe more but Evo's are pretty nice, IMO, when left standard. No point in comparing running costs.

I'd rather have an Evo than a Clio, if I could afford to fork out for the running costs. They may be assisted heavily by technology but so are most cars these days...GTR, 599, 911...Clio Sport (to a certain extent).

Yep that's why I said performance to pound they cannot be beaten. But that's ALL they're about. There's no style or refinement with them and the running costs put a lot of people off. That's why there seems to be two distinct groups of people that buy them.

I couldn't own one personally (not for financial reasons).

clio trophy No56
Its probably running the Rs clutch and flywheel, due to the extra power. Both items are uprated on the Rs, it does however make the clutch heavy as fook...Worth doing though as the clutch on a standard St does seem to slip when they run good power, and get a couple of miles under their belt. Most are subject to town driving though.

The gearbox however wont be Rs.
Any idea what conversion he has on the St ? And may i suggest some decent tyres if its spinning up in 4th.....

Yea, spoke to him and thats what he said, uprated clutch and flywheel from RS.
As for it spinning in 4th, like i said the ground was wet and i had also spun it through 2nd, changed straight to 3rd and it spun so changed straight to 4th and it give a little spin.
He has just put some Goodyear Asimetrics on, i think thats how you spell it??
Not sure of the conversion but i know he has a box, bit like the RSTuner Pro, which he plugs in and uploads maps to the car, think it has a 260, 280, 300 and 320bhp map in it, as well as the standard car map. He did put a decat on it but it was far too loud so took it straight back off.

MCS R56
Yep that's why I said performance to pound they cannot be beaten. But that's ALL they're about. There's no style or refinement with them and the running costs put a lot of people off. That's why there seems to be two distinct groups of people that buy them.

I couldn't own one personally (not for financial reasons).

Well they are performance cars, so why not? They're also very practical with four doors and and decent boot, not to mention 4wd, that can be useful.

Fair enough if you don't like them. I do.:approve:

ph1 black 172
Big deal, straight line speed is just gonna cost you your licence. If it was holding its own in the twisties this is what I'd be chuffed about.

agreed!!!!! who gives one on the m/way. 70's the speed limit.

on the bends is much more fun anyway.

if i wanted a motorway cruiser i wouldnt of bought a 172!!!!!

octavia vRS TFSI
the problem of forums is everyone thinks their car is the mutts nuts and there is no comparison.

ive had a fleet of different hot hatches now, and they have all had their own little quirks. each to their own and all that.

Renault
-They know how to make one of the best handling or most involving hot hatch, but the interiors are rubbish(in my opinion) and they sacrifice excitment for refinment.

Peugeot
- not worth typing. they live off past 205 GTI/106GTI reputation when it comes to hot hatches nowadays.

ford
-IMO ford make the best all round hot hatches(be it focus or fiesta), very involving to drive, great handling and great engines(just a shame the fiesta ST was to underpowered as it would have really rivalled the clio 172 as the chassis was excellent) and good interior and refinment

VW/Skoda/seat
-these all make very competent hatches with probably the best engines in all the hatches(especially when it comes to tuning as the internals are so strong on them)

however they are also more refined and comfortable than pretty much all the other hot hatches, which means they sacrifice the handling to a degree.

Jap Cars.
- when it comes to handling the japs are streets ahead nowadays. they have made a saloon handle as well as a much lighter clio which is an acheavment, add to that huge tuning potential, reliability, grip and they are untouchable. but the interiors are rubbish, and i think they lack refinment. they dont do comfort.

Oh, absolutely, the Evo is in a completely other league. It accelerates so ferociously it gets scary. And it gets around corners at a stupid rate. But it's also A LOT less refined when compared to the character of Clio's N/A engine. Tomorrow I go with it to sign the insurance contract for 2010 (pictures to be taken etc.) so I have it with me (left the Clio on the side). I drove for like 2 miles this night and it's really tiring compared to the Clio. Mine is tuned and the power delivery is anything but refined so this may have something to do with it. It's a car that you absolutely can't play with within the legal limits. Accelerate... lift off... a huge shake through the transmission hits you in the head! It's either "I'm driving like a granny" or "I'm ripping the tarmac" :) No way in between. Do the same thing in the Clio and it's fluid and nice and playful. Not to mention that the Clio seems to brake way better than the Evo (both have stock brakes) which encourages you to be brave :) I say "seems" as I didn't do any head to head braking test.

Don't get me wrong, the Evo is a wonderful car. It's spectacular! The way it responds to steering input (faster steering ratio), the way it accelerates and even the road presence (yeah, it's a bit over the top but I prefer an Evo than a white Q7 6.0 TDI, tbh)... it's a great car. But at least for me, under a lot of circumstances the Clio has it beat. And I think this really speaks about the "savoir fair" of Renaultsport and about some advantages of sporty N/A engines :)

Before you suspect me of being french and working at Renault, I'm Romanian :) And I don't work at Dacia either :)

-16v

Last edited:
  MCS R56
Big deal, straight line speed is just gonna cost you your licence. If it was holding its own in the twisties this is what I'd be chuffed about.

So it's not the car that loses your license, it's the driver. You can create enough straight line speed in a 1 litre to lose your license.

You're more likely to lose your license trying to hold your own in the twisties!

the problem of forums is everyone thinks their car is the mutts nuts and there is no comparison.

Not in this thread/forum though! Seems to be a balanced opinion if anything. Only a fool would deny an EVO's performance on the road but not everyone wants to pretend they're Makinnen ALL the time (see Griffonu's comments about driving evo day to day). Unfortunately you generally hear an EVO before it's arrived, usually in a 30mph urban street deep into 3rd gear...

MCS R56
Not in this thread/forum though! Seems to be a balanced opinion if anything. Only a fool would deny an EVO's performance on the road but not everyone wants to pretend they're Makinnen ALL the time (see Griffonu's comments about driving evo day to day). Unfortunately you generally hear an EVO before it's arrived, usually in a 30mph urban street deep into 3rd gear...

Yeah, they can be overly loud! Standard is perfect IMO.

And yes, seems there is a bit of balance on this thread but this doesn't normally happen unless the car is a hero, like 205GTi etc...

Ive never met an evo driver who wasnt a bit of a prat :p From an enginering point of view i think they are amazing, like the Nissan GTR for what you get for your money however they have never done it for me tho though they are considered a drivers car. I know 2 lads with a couple of older ones and they are always having problems but i guess thats what you get from a heavily tuned engine.

What would a new one cost?

PS 200
Ive never met an evo driver who wasnt a bit of a prat :p From an enginering point of view i think they are amazing, like the Nissan GTR for what you get for your money however they have never done it for me tho though they are considered a drivers car. I know 2 lads with a couple of older ones and they are always having problems but i guess thats what you get from a heavily tuned engine.

What would a new one cost?
£30k-£45k ish :eek:

Evo 8 MRFQ320
True they are quick but running costs are ridiculous I've mine for 18 months and spent ££££s. I'm getting rid to get a Clio again. If you want to loose your license buy one because you cannot help but give it some. I've been banned and been pulled numerous times in 18months.