ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

First Time Without Using Auto Settings.

Mr Burns

ClioSport Club Member
  Swift Sport
I've had my SLR a while now, it was given to me by my brother. At first I carried on using my pocket digital camera as I had no idea how to use the SLR, but eventually after some encouragement from my brother I started playing around with it.

Until now I've left it on Auto, mainly for simplicity and because I still don't know how to use the camera. I've tried reading photography books but they're so long-winded and technical that I get bored too easily.

...Anyway, I thought it was time to have a go with manual settings. I headed over to Cannock Chase to take some pictures as it's only 5mins from my house, and here's what I got...

6370735499_d50dcd830a_z.jpg

6370615613_fd1ca3dddb_z.jpg

6370563725_8eb2903919_z.jpg

6370524535_928ec54872_z.jpg

6370373751_edda873b16_z.jpg

6370217539_2c78e3b3c7_z.jpg

Comments and advice welcome. :)

130i Road, 172 Track
What settings etc did you use? That will help with feedback. They look good on iPhone screen though :)

EDIT: also what editing processes did you use?

Mr Burns

ClioSport Club Member
  Swift Sport
What settings etc did you use? That will help with feedback. They look good on iPhone screen though :)

Honestly? I'm not sure! I just kept messing around until they didn't look too dark, or too bright.

They look really good mate.

I'd recommend you try aperture and shutter priority modes though. These allow you to set either aperture or shutter speed and it auto sets the other setting. Often useful for giving you the effect you desire without having to worry about exposure.

Mr Burns

ClioSport Club Member
  Swift Sport

I use a couple of free ones I downloaded, and Picnik on Flickr.

They look really good mate.

I'd recommend you try aperture and shutter priority modes though. These allow you to set either aperture or shutter speed and it auto sets the other setting. Often useful for giving you the effect you desire without having to worry about exposure.

Cheers Stu! I think that's kinda what I've been doing, just trying to get the exposure right by messing with the shutter speeds and whatnot. Can't say I really know what I'm doing lol.

Mr Burns

ClioSport Club Member
  Swift Sport
Couple of tutorials I did, only simple examples really. Worth looking at the one on here to.

Appertures tutorial - http://StuMac1985.deviantart.com/ar...th=gallery:stumac1985:326065&order=0&offset=0

ISO speed tutorial - http://StuMac1985.deviantart.com/ar...th=gallery:stumac1985:326065&order=0&offset=1

Thanks dude. :)

Great pics. I'm in the same boat as you so if I go manual and learn to take pics like that I'll be happy :)

Trial and error dude, have a go!

Mr Burns

ClioSport Club Member
  Swift Sport
I do but then I just go back to auto :eek:

Got to stop being lazy I guess. What camera/lens were they taken with?

I've been the same until now mate, just stick at it! It's a Canon 300d with an 18-55mm lens. (I think!) lol.

BMW Z4
id be quite chuffed with them TBH, good vibrant colours and what a jump from auto straight to Manual.
well done mate.

Mr Burns

ClioSport Club Member
  Swift Sport
Looking really good :).

I've got the same camera. It might be a few years old now but it certainly can take some awesome photos.

Yeah I can't see the point in changing it, it's perfect for me to get to grips with!