ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

First track day advice for a 182

Z4x2 & buying a 182
Hey y'all. So I have finally booked my first track day on 28 Feb at Abingdon and am very excited. Since I bought the car I have had a full service and aux belt as well as a few electrical gremlins sorting.

I am wondering if there is anything in particular I should do ahead of my first track day. I am quite happy for the car to "underperform" as it were because I am interested to compare what it is like standard to what it is like as I start doing stuff to it so I wasnt planning on track tires or smaller wheels or anything but is there anything I definitely should be doing to make sure it doesnt explode? To be honest I will probably take it very easy.

Thanks

Swift Sport
Well... I've been doing trackdays for around 11/12 years now, and I've never spent time preparing my cars for trackdays. The only thing I tend to do is maintain tyre pressures as they will rise while you're on track. As long as the car is mechanically sound you'll most likely be fine. There's a chance you may get brake fade, but if you do just come back into the pits and let them cool down again. The main thing is to enjoy yourself and don't get sucked into trying to beat everyone else, and don't worry about your laptimes. Take your time and build your speed throughout the day... Hope you enjoy it, it won't be your last I guarantee it!

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Check your wheel bolts regularly to make sure they’re tight.

Tyres do make a big difference - i found doing a track day on s**t tyres in a fwd car almost ruined the day.

Clio 182
Make sure you have some life left in your brake pads, wouldn't want to be going home early because they're down to the metal. :)

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
As others have said, check the fluid levels and the brake pads. Take a tyre pressure gauge and tyre pump. Check wheel nuts regularly.

Other than that, agree 100 per cent with what @Mr Burns says, enjoy yourself at your own pace. It’s about fun and exploring the car, not a race.

Oh, and I found short bursts (15-20 mins max) on track best in terms of both car wear and driver enjoyment.

Clio 172 ph1
Sorry to hijack the thread but I have also booked my first trackday this month.

Are there any spares that I should ideally take with me?

David172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 M135i
If it looks like rain on the day and you're taking stuff with you, have something to keep it all dry while you're out on track. I've started using a 2 man tent to keep spare wheels and tools dry.
If you're living the good life and have a garage booked, forget all of this 😊

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I've also just booked my first track day. March 15th at snetterton. It's a novice only session, but I'm still worried about crashing, the car breaking down or blowing up and me being far too slow.
Does anyone take any spares/consumables? Eg coil pack, injectors, brake pads, oil & fluids etc. And tools, plus a trolley jack.
I've made a list of all the stuff i might need and I'm worried I'll need a transit to get it all there...

Swift Sport
I've also just booked my first track day. March 15th at snetterton. It's a novice only session, but I'm still worried about crashing, the car breaking down or blowing up and me being far too slow.
Does anyone take any spares/consumables? Eg coil pack, injectors, brake pads, oil & fluids etc. And tools, plus a trolley jack.
I've made a list of all the stuff i might need and I'm worried I'll need a transit to get it all there...
Well there is a saying... Whatever you take with you you'll never need.

Clio 197,with megan'
Make sure fluids are all ok. Maybe get Brake Fluid changed. Make sure Brake pads are ok, and car is in generally good condition. Its not a race, take your time. If you are very nervous, hire an instructor for a couple of laps. their advice is invaluable. Most of all, relax, enjoy.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Get new brake fluid flushed through, take a tyre pressure gauge and a pump, a pack of cable ties, a Stanley knife and a trolley jack/wheel brace and a 10/13 mm spanner.

Been doing track days for 20 years and never needed anything more.

Most fun I’ve had was in a standard 115bhp MX5 At Combe and a totally standard 182 Cup at Llandow. Don’t go chasing times or top speeds. Waste of time.

Just get out there and enjoy yourself.

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Make sure fluids are all ok. Maybe get Brake Fluid changed. Make sure Brake pads are ok, and car is in generally good condition. Its not a race, take your time. If you are very nervous, hire an instructor for a couple of laps. their advice is invaluable. Most of all, relax, enjoy.

Brakes and tyres will only be about 2000 miles old. Only fluid not done in last couple of months is PS fluid, and that looks pretty clean.
I'm really, really looking forward to it....

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Do the Clios tend to use oil on a track day?

Maybe bring a litre of that?

Z4x2 & buying a 182
I know my rear brakes need doing....and will aim to get them sorted before the track day, but I hear they do nothing anyway. I'm toying with buying some 15s with track tyres on but just wondering if it would be wort the experience to drive on standard tyres first then experience the benefit if track tyres

Clio 182
As long as the tyres are half decent with a good amount of tread you should be fine, better to do it just as is and see how it goes then upgrade over time.