ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fitting a cherry bomb backbox to my 1.2 clio?

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
That's the wonky stripes saying that though ;)

y4ysa7ag.jpg

I was curious of putting a cherry bomb to my car, don't really care about what people think of it i think it sounds quite nice!
Has anyone ever fitted one to there car and is it straight forward? I saw one get fitted on youtube, but not a clio he bascially unclipped the bolt or whatever it was, took off the back box then stuck it on and tightened it up. I was looking up on the internet and some people have said they have had to get it welded on which is not really what i wanted to hear. So I was curious do i have to actually get it welded on? Is it easy to fit? An would i have to notch out my rear bumper?

Flol you won't be hearing much at all soon ;)

Take a look on the Ktec website mate they've got some good exhausts on there and there built for the car so will defiantly fit, I've got the recessed supersport and it sounds great or if you want loud and raspy get the 182 'look' one, IMO cherry bomb is cheap and nasty. :)

Clio 1.2 Extreme.
Take a look on the Ktec website mate they've got some good exhausts on there and there built for the car so will defiantly fit, I've got the recessed supersport and it sounds great or if you want loud and raspy get the 182 'look' one, IMO cherry bomb is cheap and nasty. :)
I'll check it out mate :)

Hey man, Some can clamp on. I got a cheap cherry bomb for my car 2nd hand and it had no existing pipe on the back so it was a weld job. It does make the 1.4 sound a little nice - less of a tinny engine sound but like others have aid, I regret putting it on and it does come out at a weird angle. i'm having it replaced soon with something done properly.
Of course, as you've said - it's your motor and you may do as you please! I'd just advise you to not take others opinions or criticism so harshly in the future - you will only pull more derision on yourself and ultimately, people here are just trying to point you in the right direction.

Depending on how much it was going to cost you - I'd advise you to avoid the cherry bomb and splash the cash on something else, looks or just a better exhaust. I only fitted mine because it was something like £20 and my original was rotted badly!

whatever you choose to do - I hope you're satisfied at the end of it, as you'll be the one who has to drive it!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Ignore all the haters mate, I wanted a cherry bomb on my old 1.4 clio and got a load of s**t on here... I was speaking to a guy at a garage who said spacing the joins on the exhaust (after the manifold) with a few washers would give the same noise with a standard look... So I got him to do that and it sounded s**t hot!

and a bonus is, come mot time, just remove the washers and it'll pass dbs and emissions :cool:

hope that helps

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Urgh, hairdryers on a 1.2.

They are that disgusting they mess with my TV signal and sound when they go passed.

Last edited:
  Clio 1.2 Extreme.
Ignore all the haters mate, I wanted a cherry bomb on my old 1.4 clio and got a load of s**t on here... I was speaking to a guy at a garage who said spacing the joins on the exhaust (after the manifold) with a few washers would give the same noise with a standard look... So I got him to do that and it sounded s**t hot!

and a bonus is, come mot time, just remove the washers and it'll pass dbs and emissions :cool:

hope that helps
Oh really? Cheers mate i'm going to get a calmbelt change this weekend i'll ask the guy then! :)

Clio 1.2 Extreme.
Hey man, Some can clamp on. I got a cheap cherry bomb for my car 2nd hand and it had no existing pipe on the back so it was a weld job. It does make the 1.4 sound a little nice - less of a tinny engine sound but like others have aid, I regret putting it on and it does come out at a weird angle. i'm having it replaced soon with something done properly.
Of course, as you've said - it's your motor and you may do as you please! I'd just advise you to not take others opinions or criticism so harshly in the future - you will only pull more derision on yourself and ultimately, people here are just trying to point you in the right direction.

Depending on how much it was going to cost you - I'd advise you to avoid the cherry bomb and splash the cash on something else, looks or just a better exhaust. I only fitted mine because it was something like £20 and my original was rotted badly!

whatever you choose to do - I hope you're satisfied at the end of it, as you'll be the one who has to drive it!
Well for £35 its not exactly a lot of money and i wasn't looking to spend a lot of money on it to be honest just want it to sound nicer than it does ! I'm only a apprentice but once i'm qualified i might splash out on something abit nicer and better looking. But thanks pal taken in everything you said.

Also mate when you fitted it did you have to cut into your rear bumper? Or did it sit under it nicely?

Last edited:
  PH1 Clio 172
Regardless of love or hate for a bit of retro tat, but surely they're illegal due to the noise they make? Deflnite MOT fail or sure. My XR2 failed last year as it stated " noise is clearly above maximum level stated for a car with standard or equivalent system" or words to that effect.
Sounds like its just the thing a 1.2 needs ffs

Clio Mk1 + Clio DCI
My clio has a full stainless system and barely passes mot, of you decide to stick a cherry bomb on you are asking to be pulled over. It will infact slow your car down, it will sound horrible on a 1.2. You are better off buying a proper exhaugst system that will look and sound equaly as nice, aith that you could even change the tips and curve them up, proper rat, lower it, ive seen it done looks the biz. I agree clios have a bad reputation i have friends that hate clio drivers for this exact reason. I agree with a previous statement a modern car drives past at 90 its fine a mk1 comes past its indespicable! Ive even had people pull out infront of me on the m5 because they didnt like the fact a mk1 modified clio is as fast as it is!

Your choice put it will bring you alot of problems, but easy to fit as long as you have the mounts it will bolt straight on like a standard exhaughst, but no welding! Your gunna need to be able to quickly swap exhaughsts for mot!

Clio 182 Cup
Can't believe they still make them! :eek:

They were crackers back in the day. A mate of mine fitted one to his Ford Orion 1.6 (Ghia! ;)). All I remember was the ground shook when he drove past!

Fwiw I remember it being quite easy to fit - I'd be tempted to paint the red or cover it some how though - as above, a bit of a trouble magnet.

Good luck fella. Not my cup of tea personally, Well done for being a bit retro/ individual though, good on ya :cheers:

Well for £35 its not exactly a lot of money and i wasn't looking to spend a lot of money on it to be honest just want it to sound nicer than it does ! I'm only a apprentice but once i'm qualified i might splash out on something abit nicer and better looking. But thanks pal taken in everything you said.

Also mate when you fitted it did you have to cut into your rear bumper? Or did it sit under it nicely?

Yeah that was my line of thought, cost me very little and thought it'd be fun! Now got a stainless PF backbox and have a catback pipe made up for it that will be fitted properly.

I was going to mousehole my bumper yeah but after the whole polava of making up a bit of pipe for the end of it, it stuck out about 4 inches and droops about an inch and a bit. So it looks....well, it looks silly haha. now that the car's lowered too i'm waiting on a speedbump relieving me of it.

As for MOT, in NI our MOT is carried out by the NI division of DVLA and so far it's passed every time and those guys are real nazis when it comes to defects. If you have a friend of a friend who once drank with an MOT tester in a surrey park when he was 15, you'll possibly be alright.

Ps. if you do weld it, don't do it in the dark with a broken light and 4 wet welding rods...bad times.

Clio 1.2 Extreme.
Yeah that was my line of thought, cost me very little and thought it'd be fun! Now got a stainless PF backbox and have a catback pipe made up for it that will be fitted properly.

I was going to mousehole my bumper yeah but after the whole polava of making up a bit of pipe for the end of it, it stuck out about 4 inches and droops about an inch and a bit. So it looks....well, it looks silly haha. now that the car's lowered too i'm waiting on a speedbump relieving me of it.

As for MOT, in NI our MOT is carried out by the NI division of DVLA and so far it's passed every time and those guys are real nazis when it comes to defects. If you have a friend of a friend who once drank with an MOT tester in a surrey park when he was 15, you'll possibly be alright.

Ps. if you do weld it, don't do it in the dark with a broken light and 4 wet welding rods...bad times.

i'm defiantly considering it to be honest, there is like only one clio around where i live that's modded it slightly so it's not like anyone on here will probably ever see my car haha. I gotta say i would love to lower my car but where i live is full of them there's one right next to my drive haha!

Did you find it easy to fit? an would you have to weld it or is it optional?