ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

fitting - dogbone mount + 3 tyres + rear discs??

172 Mk2 Ph1
I have a Phase 1 172...

As the title says, I have three eagles (in garage) to fit + balancing, two at the front and one on the spare...

The knocking noise under acceleration needs to be sorted so dogbone mount is the first to be done, heard some peoples noises have been solved by doing this, I refuse to believe it is a trait of clio 172's.

I also want to change the rear discs... an I have green stuff pads for the rear (in garage), and one new bearing changed recently which is on the rear left disc, so I assume this can be pressed out of the old disc and into the new one, so I only need one bearing (not purchased yet) + the standard discs (also not purchased yet), I understand that the ABS ring can be re-used?

Ive been told that the rear discs dont need changing because they don't get used much, but they are coroded and I want to change them anyway.

I don't want to give the car to a garage and would really like someone who has worked on 172's before to do this work, I had intended to do it myself but just don't have the time at the moment.

I am in Harrogate, North Yorkshire (new to the area) at the moment and was just wondering if anyone knew of someone near me that could potentially do the work this week???

Any how, thaks for looking, comments appreciated.

Alex.

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
alexst said:
The knocking noise under acceleration needs to be sorted so dogbone mount is the first to be done, heard some peoples noises have been solved by doing this, I refuse to believe it is a trait of clio 172's.

No, just a trait of Renault, its a wear and tear item like your brake pads, dont thrash them and they last longer, same principle applies.

alexst said:
so I assume this can be pressed out of the old disc and into the new one

50/50 chance imo, bearing can crack when trying to press it out.

alexst said:
I don't want to give the car to a garage and would really like someone who has worked on 172's before to do this work.

The work involved is the same on any other car, you dont need a specialst for this, any old local garage could do it in under an hour.

alexst said:

I also want to change the rear discs... an I have green stuff pads for the rear (in garage), and one new bearing changed recently which is on the rear left disc, so I assume this can be pressed out of the old disc and into the new one, so I only need one bearing (not purchased yet) + the standard discs (also not purchased yet), I understand that the ABS ring can be re-used?

Ive been told that the rear discs dont need changing because they don't get used much, but they are coroded and I want to change them anyway.
The knocking can be down to the mount best way of checking I've found is to lift off at high revs and you can fell the engine shake round when its worn. However it can alos be donw to how the mount is if there adjusted correctly then there shouldn't be an issue (so long as its not worn).
Bearing can be pushed out but do you have a 50 ton press handy? Otherwise just get new one fitted
Risk disks can wear but they don't do much so corrosion is the issue,

172 Mk2 Ph1
Ok, changed tyres, £5 per corner plus balancing, quite cheap really.

And do the mount to see if that helps - well garage will do mount as I dont have a 50 tonne press, believe it or not!!

Cheers