ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

fixing amp to rear seat

"Navy" N17 TWO

got sub/amp installed yesterday :)

BUT - they told me they were going to bolt theamp to the back of my rear seat - they bolted it to the floor :cry: This of course makes it look awful, ruins my plans for further modding and doesnt really do the sub any favours when appearance comes into play.

They said the back seats are too weak to bolt the amp to them, and there would be screws sticking into people sitting in the back of the car :confused:

Before getting the sub they told me they were going to fix it to the seat with carpeted MDF

I see a lot of people have done this - any problems with it at all?

pics to follow.....Trev

Chocolate Bar™

i know someone who screwed their amp into the back of their seats (old style mini) and it didnt last two seconds before it worked loose.

if you used a wooden block youd have the same trouble of attaching the wood to the seat. if you did use screws then the rear passengers would also feel them in the seat as you would probably have to use 3/4" screws to get a good guage.

GDI ???BHP Cliosport172

I had this problem on my 172! I simply unzipped the seat cover&slipped behind asmall piece of quarter inch ply! Job done nicely;)

Da

Less

FM, the Clios in question have cloth on the rear seats not metal, which i think has caused the problem for Trev?

"Navy" N17 TWO

can a sheet of wood be put inside the seat to re-inforce it? do the covers open or come off easily?

Would it be possible to mount an amp on top of the sub box...as my sub box is 23 inches long and 12 inches deep.....so mounting the amp on top would be great as it would save boot space!

Ziel Nurburgring

How about making an mdf false floor by using the boot carpet as a template and doing a better install yourself? Could mount the amp at an angle and try and hide the wires.

How much did you pay for them to install that though?

"Navy" N17 TWO

whole lot was 500 fitted

they told me they were putting the amp on the seat :mad:

what should i do ?

i had the same problem so my amp is connected to the wheel arch on the left. but i am going to change it and put the sub in the spare wheel well and create a false floor to put the amp on then another over the top so i have a whole boot again.

is 500 quid including all the ice?

Sorry Trev but that looks like a first time DIY fit!

Who did it? Cos I bet no one else uses em and 500 hundred quid!!!!!! I did mine miself, cost 185 quid. Or did that include HU and interior speakers etc.?

Incidentally I mounted my amp on my sub box...and befoire anyone says owt to the contrary there is NO vibration.

"Navy" N17 TWO

well the amp and sub on their own on the net are over 400 quid :confused:

have to admit - it does look a mess with the state they left it in

bear in mind it takes a lot for me to crack up - im ready to go nuts at the minuite :mad:

ill just have to make a a little phone call, tell them how i feel :cry:

WHAT CAN I DO IF ITS ALREADY PAID FOR??

plan the install yourself, if you are patient, a lot can be done with mdf, make a false floor for the amp, sink the sub slightly into the floor too, remove the luggage rail so that you can get everything closer to the rear seats, then trim in the material of your choice

ST

Quote: Originally posted by trevq on 10 February 2005

thats alans! (16vclio) havent had the chance to ask him how its fixed to his seat
The amp is screwed on to a piece of carpeted MDF, then the MDF is fixed to the seat with some sort of invisible screws, not 100% sure how its fixed but it looks the part anyways, you cant see any screws and all the cables are out of the way.

Guy who done mine is very professional when he does installs of any form, he wouldnt let me have the car back until he was 100% happy with it.

He also holds the official TRACKER supplier/fitter for this area.

And last but not least he does contract work for aston martin in livingston or wherever the dealer is out that direction. Sat nav, DVD etc.

If he didnt know his stuff i dont think theyd let him take the dash to bits in a car worth 100k+!

"Navy" N17 TWO

didnt want anything too crazy or too complicated in the boot - so much for trying to keep it simple :confused:

Alan - it looks mint

i rang the place today - said there is no frame in my rear seats to bolt anything onto where in the older clio models they had a stronger back or even a metal frame

they said they could put it in the side (over a wheel-arch) on carpeted fibreglass for about 60-80 quid

would this be right?

do it the easier way

get a bit of mdf, no more nails and stick it to the side of the bootwall

then get a piece of mdf with the amp mounted on, screw that into the smaller piece of mdf

job sone, no permanent damage to the car, and keeps the install nice and tidy

this is my main problem with my install, i need some boot space, my sub box is 23 inches by 12 deep and I want it to look good without the effort of false floors and things :(

Ziel Nurburgring

Quote: Originally posted by gecko on 11 February 2005

this is my main problem with my install, i need some boot space, my sub box is 23 inches by 12 deep and I want it to look good without the effort of false floors and things :(
You cant have both mate. You could mount the amp on the box, but its never going to look like a great install. False floor doesnt have to meen covering your entire floor, you could just cut some MDF large enough to accomodate your amp and box, and do a small install on that. Leaving half or so of your boot free.

Thats what i would do.

as i stated earlier in this thread....

Go to your local arts and craft and buy some heavy duty self adhesive velcro and stick it the back of your rear seats. Takes 10mins and you can take it on and off as you please. Total cost £2.99 Alot easier than bothering with mdf etc.....

Ill get some pics of mine in a while.

"Navy" N17 TWO

whats the general verdict on my ICE installers then? :confused:

i want to put the amp in the side of the boot now - but should i pay an extra 60 quid to clean up their mess?

IMHO i think they are top notch in theory - they know their S**t but customer care is, uhm, well, eh - cant describe something I havent seen or experienced

Quote: Originally posted by trevq on 11 February 2005
whats the general verdict on my ICE installers then? :confused:

we always charge you far too much for very little work, when you consider how easy ICE installation really is, and how much you are charged for it, its astonishing, but people still pay for it to be done

grab the tools, and do the job yourself, you will not regret it

ST

Quote: Originally posted by AJRMOTORSPORT on 11 February 2005

I want a genesis amp!!! Ill b testin alans alarm later!
My alarm works pretty well mate, but if you wanna have a go feel free! ;)

"Navy" N17 TWO

ive never been keen on doing mods to the cars electrics or audio myself incase i make a balls of it

to be honest I wudnt know sh*t from gravy about all the workings of the car

but when you trust/pay some professional "fool" to do the job you expect a professional job done

Question is - Are these installers that keep testing my patients as good as they claim to be? check them out http://www.audioadvice.co.uk/home_main.htmhttp://www.audioadvice.co.uk/home_main.htm